Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That's fairly common though, you are putting in plenty of miles on a regular basis, and it will build up a standard speed per mile. Running does become quite addictive, and is a great way to clear the mind too.

Agree on both counts - I've got a massively addictive personality and keep getting addicted to running before something or other happens. It's been injury in the past, simply through over-doing it. In the Summer of 2013 I'd really been getting into my running and intended to carry on when I went off to Florida on holiday. I didn't however and just stopped completely as other life stuff took over.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've bitten off a bit more than I could chew this morning. Inspired by new shoes I went out without much of an aim and ended up running over 10 miles for only the second time ever, with the last being in July 2013 according to Nike+ which I used to use (although I did also have two runs also just short of 10 miles in the same month).

It was my legs that made it difficult, but it was my third consecutive day of running and I've not done that before in my current stint. My run took me along Worthing seafront until the end of East Worthing. As I turned inland my legs were demanding I stop or, at the very least, walk but I kept running until the end. I reckoned I was going to reach home at about 9.8 miles so I even ran past my turning to make sure I got to 10! The last mile of all my runs is uphill with a very steep end to my front door - that was hell today!

Strava reckons I did my fastest 5k (27:37) and 10k (57:31) along the route, which surprises me. Looking at Nike+ it reckons my fastest 5k ever was 26:37 in March 2009 so that could be in sight soon.

The final numbers were 10.1 miles in 1:40:33 - first mile of 8:34 and then getting slower with each and every mile!

Love the OCD tendencies......the Garmin effect. Neighbours have often seen go up and down our road a couple of times just to add 0.something of a mile :) I have always had drift on runs too.......although getting better at pacing recently. Do long runs slower, and short runs faster my coach says...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Came 22nd today in the Hastings Half Marathon. Had a 3 mile warm up and then planned to run at marathon pace but got carried away and ran 25 seconds a mile faster. Hard to stick to a pace with the up and down course. 1:45:32 in the 55-59 group I forgot to add. Then knee jammed and had to walk the planned 3m run back to the car failing to complete my last long run. Never mind.

Did you start on the line Bobkin as you have a chip time same as start time?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
20 mile run completed in 3.40. I know I'm nowhere near the times of most people on here but I'm aiming for 4.30 on 12th so happy with that. 17 next week then some serious tapering!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Came 22nd today in the Hastings Half Marathon. Had a 3 mile warm up and then planned to run at marathon pace but got carried away and ran 25 seconds a mile faster. Hard to stick to a pace with the up and down course. 1:45:32 in the 55-59 group I forgot to add. Then knee jammed and had to walk the planned 3m run back to the car failing to complete my last long run. Never mind.

Hat off to you Sir. I don't think that Kenyan fella that won is human though!

I clocked 2-29 - was pleased to be under 2-30 but it's about 6 mins over my best (ive only ran 3 official ones). Absolutely loved the event - the Hastings crowd were amazing and the numbers around the course literally staggering! As for the course itself, well it's obviously very tough. My issue was I started feeling sick on the big down hill and then the last 3 miles were a proper plod! Loved it though although my usual consistency on KMs wasn't there due to the hills!

Some incredible find raising going on. I was behind a couple wheeling their ill daughter round - brought a lump to my throat and made me even more determined to finish. A truely great event...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Special shout out to [MENTION=11493]Cecil[/MENTION] who nailed a PB on that tough course - 1-51 absolutely stunning!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've just taken my Brooks off (well an hour ago). New 10k PB in the first dress rehearsal, 58.03 with pretty even splits. Seven minutes quicker than 2 weeks ago so clearly those killer interval sessions are doing the trick.

Bozza 57:31 Guiness Boy 58.03 Race! Race!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I clocked 2-29 - was pleased to be under 2-30 but it's about 6 mins over my best (ive only ran 3 official ones). Absolutely loved the event - the Hastings crowd were amazing and the numbers around the course literally staggering! As for the course itself, well it's obviously very tough. My issue was I started feeling sick on the big down hill and then the last 3 miles were a proper plod! Loved it though although my usual consistency on KMs wasn't there due to the hills!

Some incredible find raising going on. I was behind a couple wheeling their ill daughter round - brought a lump to my throat and made me even more determined to finish. A truely great event...

Chapeau to you too Sir as William the Conqueror may have said. A bloke who has an allotment near mine has done all 31 recent Hastings half Marathons and was one of those awarded for 30 last year. That's partly why I wanted to do it and I am sure I will now be back again. The crowd were great but I could not eat any of those cakes after those hills but a cup of tea on the finish line was appreciated.
Shame I have buggered my knee but it was worth it. I have to do Eastbourne next year now.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
1:33 today at Hastings.. happy with that as i had 1:40 in mind.. had to deal with a bit of 'flappy foot' in the first 3 miles which reduced my pace and made the top of my left foot hurt. But it went went after a while because of the ups and downs.... i think i went off too quick with no warm up.

but yeah what a good course. Loved the last half.. all mostly downhill so you can really peg it!!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I've just taken my Brooks off (well an hour ago). New 10k PB in the first dress rehearsal, 58.03 with pretty even splits. Seven minutes quicker than 2 weeks ago so clearly those killer interval sessions are doing the trick.

That's pretty good improvement -- just don't peak too soon, with three weeks to go!
I found when I did the Brooks 10k in Nov - my first ever race -- that my race time was a good 3 minutes faster than I ever managed in training road runs. I've been doing a few Parkruns recently as part of my training routine for the BM 10k, and similarly find that my race times (usually somewhere between 23.30 and 24.15) are a minute or two faster than I ever manage when training on my own. If the same applies to you, you might even surprise yourself on the day

I reckon a 'Preston Park marathon' is 24 laps according to mapmyrun. This evening I managed 20 (22 miles approx) in 3 45. I'll be at Driver 8 pace on the day hoping for 4 30.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

No I didn't. Not quite sure what happened, to be honest. I just got notification of a 1.46, and thought that it wasn't right...

Sorry your warm-down run turned into a walk...

It's an amazing race – probably my favourite, but then I like hills – helped by the support all the way around. Previous best around the course was 2:05, yesterday was 1:45! Well chuffed with that. It's a tough course, so don't be too disappointed with being six mins of your PB. Think of it as a Hastings, PB, as opposed to a HM PB.

You're right - those last few miles along the prom seem to go on forever. I was closing in on a mate along there, but I saw he take on a gel and get quicker as I got slower...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
1:33 today at Hastings.. happy with that as i had 1:40 in mind.. had to deal with a bit of 'flappy foot' in the first 3 miles which reduced my pace and made the top of my left foot hurt. But it went went after a while because of the ups and downs.... i think i went off too quick with no warm up.

but yeah what a good course. Loved the last half.. all mostly downhill so you can really peg it!!

Had a look at the results your not an old f*** ,as well, are you? Apologies if you are not, and I suppose, if you are. I thought I was the only old f**t in the NSC village.
I loved that last 5 miles wind behind, steep hill, up to 6" 30 pace and last 2 miles at 7" 15 pace with wind behind. No wonder my knee is screwed........

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bozza 57:31 Guiness Boy 58.03 Race! Race!

BM10k entry now closed though you may be able to buy a place. However there is no WAY I am stopping after that, it's going to be a first race back, not a last one. So how about a race off in next year's Brighton Half [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]? I'll do it for REMF.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

Had a look at the results your not an old f*** ,as well, are you? Apologies if you are not, and I suppose, if you are. I thought I was the only old f**t in the NSC village.
I loved that last 5 miles wind behind, steep hill, up to 6" 30 pace and last 2 miles at 7" 15 pace with wind behind. No wonder my knee is screwed........

Haha, no thats cool, 38 but after yesterday's downhills and the wine last night, certainly feeling it this morning! Theyve finally put my time up so it was a 1:33:19 (222) which was good... Rather than hide in the tent, def doing a proper warm up next time!

Hope your knee gets better soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here