Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Been looking into the timelines of Brexit, the next 4-6 weeks appear to be a critical period

So assuming we get to the final stage ratification stage of Brexit in March, the withdrawal agreement needs to be backed at an EU summit by a supermajority of leaders of member states (representing at least 20 of the other 27 EU countries and 65 per cent of their population).

Yet our mandate is based on a referendum where British nationals in the EU get excluded, EU nationals who reside in the UK get excluded, electoral law gets violated and on a slim result of 52 / 48.

Still I'm sure we will at least know everything about the future relationship at the point of departure, won't we???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Why are you so rude to me all the time.

Because [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] doesn't have the same incredible level of patience that I display.

I suspect that this is due to the fact that Simster isn't as old as me and consequently, he doesn't have the same wealth of experience that I have of explaining very simple things to idiots. That's why I'm much nicer to talk to :)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hopefully Brexit is the push to start manufacturing more products in this country again.

Yeah, great time to be walking away from the world's biggest single market.....

In what way do you feel Brexit will help British manufacturing?

this hard Brexit model will lead to the virtual elimination of British manufacturing but this isn't something that should worry us.

I am sorry, but this is what you seem to have voted for.

WTF :shrug:

You may as well say 'Hopefully Brexit will make me a millionaire, put Piers Morgan in jail for life and make Albion champions of Europe'.

I would be very surprised if any manufactures are thinking at the moment they should move/set up in the UK because of Brexit, mainly because no one knows what Brexit will actually be, so how can they make a decision based on something they don't know?

My view is that anything approaching a hard Brexit is more likely to damage British manufacturing than support it.

Why all the DOOM and GLOOM? Look on the bright side - when the currency devalues, and you can buy £5 worth of quality British products, for €2 or $3, surely exports will BOOM :shrug:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Can't stand the way our companies have sold out to the highest bidders over the years, and I can't stand the way our useless governments have let it happen.
Hopefully Brexit is the push to start manufacturing more products in this country again.

I hate to point it out but that has nothing to do with Brexit. Companies get brought out because another company makes an offer to the shareholders that they accept - welcome to the capitalist world ! Manufacturing has declined because we, and ironically many other EU members, can't compete on price with the likes of China.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I hate to point it out but that has nothing to do with Brexit. Companies get brought out because another company makes an offer to the shareholders that they accept - welcome to the capitalist world ! Manufacturing has declined because we, and ironically many other EU members, can't compete on price with the likes of China.

True, but the problem is we Brits just don't invest in our own Engineering firms. The German equivalents to GEC, Marconi, Ferguson, Pye and Plessey all still exist, ours were either sold off, asset stripped or went bust. Chartered Accountants earn more and are held in higher esteem than Chartered Engineers.

Rebalancing our economy will take a generation or more, and a change in our outlook to long term investment.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Meanwhile, yet another grim Brexit scenario.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...s-says-bad-brexit-could-tip-uk-into-recession

I really can't see where May got her 'end of austerity' in late 2019 promise from. Even if Brexit conforms to her Chequers model (if you like the least worse case), there's no projections that I know of that indicate any sort of surge in economic growth. Indeed, the opposite seems the case.

If I'm right then there's a bit of an irony here: May's attack on Labour is largely about their fiscal irresponsibility. I think it was a case of a desperate PM trying to give some good news and 'lever the Leavers' in her own party. It got a good round of applause but there's no substance in it.

Theresa May is a liar and a fraud.

Meanwhile...

[tweet]1047768933904867329[/tweet]

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
So you are ignoring all the Brexiteers swerving of questions like: why are we pushing through removal of freedom of movement etc when this was not part of the referendum vote? And then just replying with meaningless waffle like "leave means leave"?

I've answered that a number of times - you just don't choose to listen. Regardless, you're losing FoM as things stand ..... you might want to make contingency plans. Booked your airplane ticket yet ?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
I have seen no answer on this. Where is freedom of movement mention in the referendum vote?

*sigh* ..... the remain campaign kept mentioning the downsides of not having FoM, hell even the government propaganda leaflet touched on it. Therefore it seems reasonable that people believed they were voting to remove this 'right' if we voted leave even though it wasn't explicitly detailed on the ballot paper. Leaving the EU for many meant leaving the EU and all it's functions. It's rather pointless just 'leaving' the EU but retaining all it's functions bar our vote. Carry on your straw grabbing if you like but at some point you will have to come to terms that FoM will be removed. The sooner you accept it the easier it will be for you. Booked your airplane ticket yet ?

*** Hopefully now I've REPEATED this for you AGAIN you'll understand the question has been answered ***

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Can't stand the way our companies have sold out to the highest bidders over the years, and I can't stand the way our useless governments have let it happen.

This is slightly Trump-esque (only slightly!). There's a reason why we don't manufacture here as we once did - aside from some world class businesses, we are not very good at it! Our productivity levels are poor (just about everyone agrees on this). Of course if sterling falls through the floor we might have the illusion that we are competitive but that's all it will be. There is of course the theory that the influx of cheap labour from the EU has prevented our firms from investing in technology ( a nice way of blaming the EU). But even if this was the case there would be something of a time-lag as UK firms adjusted (investment does not happen overnight). Indeed, perhaps they would simply follow the cheap labour and relocate...…………..

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
This is slightly Trump-esque (only slightly!). There's a reason why we don't manufacture here as we once did - aside from some world class businesses, we are not very good at it! Our productivity levels are poor (just about everyone agrees on this). Of course if sterling falls through the floor we might have the illusion that we are competitive but that's all it will be. There is of course the theory that the influx of cheap labour from the EU has prevented our firms from investing in technology ( a nice way of blaming the EU). But even if this was the case there would be something of a time-lag as UK firms adjusted (investment does not happen overnight). Indeed, perhaps they would simply follow the cheap labour and relocate...…………..

I'm sure Labours 3 day week, closing early on a Wednesday, and the strength of the UK unions (not a bad thing if run properly for the benefit of the workers, not senior management) have done for our manufacturing industry.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt's jibe likening the EU to the Soviet Union was "as unwise as it is insulting", the president of the European Council says.
In a statement alongside Irish PM Leo Varadkar, Donald Tusk called for "respect", saying as someone who spent half his life in the Soviet bloc: "I know what I am talking about."
Asked if Mr Hunt should resign, he replied: "That's not my problem."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And May was claiming the UK has shown the EU respect and it should be reciprocated.........

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
“Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt's jibe likening the EU to the Soviet Union was "as unwise as it is insulting", the president of the European Council says.
In a statement alongside Irish PM Leo Varadkar, Donald Tusk called for "respect", saying as someone who spent half his life in the Soviet bloc: "I know what I am talking about."
Asked if Mr Hunt should resign, he replied: "That's not my problem."

If he wasn't sacked for wrecking the NHS he won't be sacked for upsetting a few uppity foreigners, probably get him a pay rise

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
All that rhetoric is irrelevant as it was NEVER mentioned on the ballot question. Should we also ban cars? Why not? That was not on the ballot either.

WTF ? :shrug:

There's a village calling you wanting you to return !

Irrelevant it might be according to you but it doesn't remove the fact it's happening ..... enjoy !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If he wasn't sacked for wrecking the NHS he won't be sacked for upsetting a few uppity foreigners, probably get him a pay rise

Sadly lots of goons will lap this up, like they did Jacob Rees-Moogs racism.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here