Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Euro 2016: England and Wales fans given alcohol ban in Lens

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
FSF have confirmed its an alcohol ban on the streets. Bars, restaurants, fan zone won't be dry.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I read that there will be no alcohol in the grounds? I know Uefa do that for Champions League games so wouldn't be surprised if that is the case..

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
The French underestimate the resourcefulness of the Brits abroad.

I also feel gutted for the bar owners of Lens - they missed out on a huge pay day.
Except bars will be open. It's off licences and shops which are banned selling alcohol

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Went in 1998 for World Cup and they shut all bars in Lille for the England game ! Went to Lens and the atmosphere was non existent, sad really as it showed how much we English need a drink to get themselves going. Not sure if Lille had a drink ban on day of match.

I was in Toulouse (I think) for a non England game and the atmosphere was lovely. The next game in a few days was England and as we were leaving the authorities started to dismantle the big screen in the city centre and literally board up the city. Real shame as we'd had such fun.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Can't see why Poland v Ukraine would be a risk, both hate Russia and given Russia's recent aggression in Ukraine, more solidarity than anything.

To be honest, I'm not convinced that the neo-Nazis, mentalist skinheads and steroid pumped meatheads of the Eastern European hoolie royalty are THAT influenced by the latest geo-political situation. I think they just like a scrap.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
FSF have confirmed its an alcohol ban on the streets. Bars, restaurants, fan zone won't be dry.

No true. Alcohol will not be sold in bars and stores in the centre of Lens, but will be available inside the 35,000-capacity Stade Bollaert-Delelis stadium.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Very surprised by this.

I think more than anything it shows France's ignorance towards England and Wales. There's never been any bad blood between the two nations. If it was the Jocks then definitely enforce a ban. France really do have a lot of snobs.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
No true. Alcohol will not be sold in bars and stores in the centre of Lens, but will be available inside the 35,000-capacity Stade Bollaert-Delelis stadium.

It is true according to the FSF website. From http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/england-wales-matchday-lens-euro-2016-france :

"No drinking on the streets: The sale, transport and consumption of alcoholic drinks will be banned in the car parks, shuttle buses, coach parks and in all public areas in Lens city centre. The consumption of alcohol will only be permitted in bars (either inside or on the Terrasse) and inside the Fan Zone. This ban will run from 6am on 16th June until 6am on 17th June. Anyone failing to respect this ban will be fined and all alcoholic drinks will be seized."

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
There's never been any bad blood between the two nations.

Hmmmmmm I've done Wales away a couple of times and it wasn't very pleasant on either occasion and last time we played them at Wembley some mush was killed.

Granted it's not on the same level as the Jocks but to say there is no bad blood is pushing it a little far.

That said I've met plenty of Cardiff who follow England.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I reckon there's more scope for carnage at England-Russia in Marseille

This. Can very much see it all going off there, as it did the last time England played in Marseille in the 1998 World Cup.

Russians have an abnormally high tosspot ratio when abroad, and we'll have our usual supply of meatheads there too. I'll be amazed if it doesn't all kick off at some point. There won't be a plastic chair left in one piece.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Hmmmmmm I've done Wales away a couple of times and it wasn't very pleasant on either occasion and last time we played them at Wembley some mush was killed.

Granted it's not on the same level as the Jocks but to say there is no bad blood is pushing it a little far.

That said I've met plenty of Cardiff who follow England.

same as that.

went to the Millennium stadium Wales v England and a lot of the Welsh that day were looking for English.
we had tickets ( 8 of us ) through the England members club, but were conned in to selling them and getting tickets in a lounge in the England end, turns out they were just regular tickets in the Welsh end.
We got into the stadium and approach a steward and told him we had bought tickets to a lounge but would take our and if the National anthem is played we would stand up and start singing it. By this time we were attracting a bit of a crowd by us and eventually got our way and housed in a lounge at the other end of the stadium in the England end.
when England scored, there were pockets of fights breaking out throughout the ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here