Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Snowing here in TN22. Not really settling though - not heavy enough, and too warm really.

Snow's stopped, sun's out. Here's hoping the prospects for more snow next week increase as the newer models come out. Netweather folks were getting all excited about potential for an Easterly next week, but looks like the models have lost that signal last I looked.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Snow's stopped, sun's out. Here's hoping the prospects for more snow next week increase as the newer models come out. Netweather folks were getting all excited about potential for an Easterly next week, but looks like the models have lost that signal last I looked.

The outlook for next week is for some sort of easterly, but mabve not potent enough for anything fun, and then it's a mess - possibly a snowy breakdown then possibly a massive low mid-atlantic.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
The outlook for next week is for some sort of easterly, but mabve not potent enough for anything fun, and then it's a mess - possibly a snowy breakdown then possibly a massive low mid-atlantic.

Yeah, just went and caught up on the netweather thread. Lots of excited folks picking at charts. From what my very inexperienced eye can glean, the consensus over there seems to be one of cautious optimism for a good snow event next week, but that it's a 50-50 shout as to whether (no pun intended) or not it sets up properly. Beyond that, some less cautious excitement about what might happen into February.

Having grown up in Australia, *any* sort of snow (even the sort that left me stuck for 90 minutes on the M25 J7 to J6 stretch last night) is exciting. Having said that, I did once upon a time as a youngster catch a snow flake in my hand on Christmas Day ... in Canberra, Australia; better known for having 30°+ BBQ weather for Christmas!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
This thread is lacking 2017 pictures. Here is Findon this morning with the moon.

e82.gif

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yeah, just went and caught up on the netweather thread. Lots of excited folks picking at charts. From what my very inexperienced eye can glean, the consensus over there seems to be one of cautious optimism for a good snow event next week, but that it's a 50-50 shout as to whether (no pun intended) or not it sets up properly. Beyond that, some less cautious excitement about what might happen into February.

Having grown up in Australia, *any* sort of snow (even the sort that left me stuck for 90 minutes on the M25 J7 to J6 stretch last night) is exciting. Having said that, I did once upon a time as a youngster catch a snow flake in my hand on Christmas Day ... in Canberra, Australia; better known for having 30°+ BBQ weather for Christmas!

Sure it wasn't a flake of dandruff from someone nearby ?

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Was that it then? Or is there more next weekend everyone seems to be hedging there bets? Papa your the man what you say?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not bothered as long as Lincoln v Ipswich isn't snowed off - messing up the 4th round game - and also as long as the games v Massive and Cardiff arn't postponed.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Was that it then? Or is there more next weekend everyone seems to be hedging there bets? Papa your the man what you say?

It's looking pretty benign for the next week - the high pressure never gets far enough away to give us anything exciting. Low chance of snow over that period, but not impossible.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I have to say that I have some sympathy for @UncleSpielberg with the latest debacle.

It was nice to have an hour or so of wet snow, but the media hype prior, during and after was quite embarassing, culminating with BBC Sussex weather forecast the night after the 'event' saying that although there will be no more snow today it will be 'a freezing 4 degrees', since when has 4 degrees been discribed in such terms in the middle of January !!!

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Usually i love the snow....take the dog out, light the fire etc but next Tuesday (17th) my 18 year old daughter starts her training for cabin crew with Thomas Cook at Gatwick. She's only passed her driving test a month ago and has to drive up each day.

Probably not an issue for her but as a parent, one would like the crap weather to stay away for the time being.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I have to say that I have some sympathy for @UncleSpielberg with the latest debacle.

It was nice to have an hour or so of wet snow, but the media hype prior, during and after was quite embarassing, culminating with BBC Sussex weather forecast the night after the 'event' saying that although there will be no more snow today it will be 'a freezing 4 degrees', since when has 4 degrees been discribed in such terms in the middle of January !!!

I know - South West winds from now on and 13C in Newhaven.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
For [MENTION=3711]Driver8[/MENTION] - if you've not gone off yet. Have a blast in El Tarter.

They've had snow pretty much all day today, but the heavy stuff in tomorrow night - up to a metre is possible over the next 36 hours.

Wrap up warm, as it's unbelievably cold (-15C, with 60 kmh winds).

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
For [MENTION=3711]Driver8[/MENTION] - if you've not gone off yet. Have a blast in El Tarter.

They've had snow pretty much all day today, but the heavy stuff in tomorrow night - up to a metre is possible over the next 36 hours.

Wrap up warm, as it's unbelievably cold (-15C, with 60 kmh winds).

Hi, I go next Sunday (22nd) so I'm hoping the sun will be out by then!

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Hi, I go next Sunday (22nd) so I'm hoping the sun will be out by then!

By the 22nd the daytime temps will be returning to close to freezing, and wind speeds will have dropped markedly. the snow in the next day and a half will be quite brutal, especially at the temperature forecast (the plot below is WAY off on the temps as the grid size doesn't cater for the 2000m altitude of the Andorran villages)

graphe_ens4_jsi3.gif

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Chance of the white stuff Tuesday night or Wednesday morning?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here