Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smart TV advice

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
If you have no recording device then get a tele with Freeview Play. It enables you to scroll back over TV from the past 7 days and watch. Not all shows are on 'watch again' though.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)

murphy's law

Nov 24, 2008
We're about to be propelled into the 21st century in our village by having 100mb fibre broadband connected in the next few weeks.

The timing is good because a couple of our tellies need upgrading as well.

So my question is should I spend a bit extra and by so called Smart TVs or is it better to get good quality LED TVs and buy one of the many dongles that are on the market - and presumably turn your telly into a Smart TV? If the dongles are the recommended route, which one?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

As most TVs on the market are Smart anyway, I'd go down that route if I were you rather than getting an additional box. I've got a Samsung Smart TV which has access to the most useful apps you'd get through a box, such as BBC iplayer, ITV & channel 4 players + Netflix, Amazon video & youtube. I've also got a BT youview box which has access to most of this stuff as well, but still use the Smart TV functions, as you can change the DNS on the TV to get US Netflix (which you can't through BT youview) & the iplayer works better than through BT youview.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I have a related question as I'll be buying a Smart TV next year.

I assume most Smart TVs work where they have a main screen that works like the Apple Store or Google Play, such that when new services come on-line (Amazon Prime, NowTV, Netflix etc), you can update your firmware on your TV to include them. Is that right? And if so, which brands are best at allowing you to do that early?

I am not sure I trust any of them, to develop a platform for more than about 5 minutes, as the TV market is so cut throat and no one ever seems to make any money. Panasonic seems to come out tops in terms of useability of their smart TV platform. They actually use a variant of Firefox and it does work pretty well.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
On most TVs they are situated either on the side of the casing, underneath the casing or back of the case.

Thanks we found it and had a Brillant presentation by the Tracy on the Plans for The BHA FC women's team they hope to make champion leaugue before the men but would love to do it at the same time. Please try and make the Girls game at the Amex against Charlton top of the leaugue clash are a very dedicated bunch of players and are not yet paid.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I bought an LG smart TV a few months back.

It's got a remote like a Wii, so you use a pointer and the UI is really really nice. I use Netflix, Youtube, Spotify and even watch Albion highlights from the website (the new site works on the LG browser!).

If you have an Apple TV or something similar, don't worry too much. But it's like a lot of things - you don't realise how useful it is until you have it!

I have one from LG like that. I have problems on the sync btw picture and voice. Wouldnt buy lg again but might have been unlucky

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here