Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone going to the Downing Street Protests?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
so its OK to put money in a bank in Panama is it
not very patriotic is it

and you think he will last 4 years

What is being patriotic got to do with it, people invest in not only the UK stock market but also the Dow Jones and others around the world. Nothing illegal about, UK taxes are paid on dividends and there is no suggestion of not being patriotic. We live in ever developing global economy.

What next taking a foreign holiday is unpatriotic as we're not spending our money in the UK.

So YES it is perfectly OK to put money into foreign opportunities

Cameron will not last 4 years, given that he has already stated he will not seek a third term, so I fail to see the relevance of the question.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
So the gripe is now inheritance tax from this fathers estate is it, now that the Panama business has proved to be a dead duck? I see. He will have to pay IHT on the portion from his mother if she dies within 7 years of the date of the gift. As for the rest of it I have no idea, but tax accountants have said that there is nothing in the summary that " raises eyebrows". ie all perfectly legal and above board.

But the original complaint is that he "stole" from the taxpayer as he had money invested offshore. That has proved to be false.

As he hasn't made his tax return public(Just the bits he wants us to know) is the biggest potential gripe being hidden?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
What is being patriotic got to do with it, people invest in not only the UK stock market but also the Dow Jones and others around the world. Nothing illegal about, UK taxes are paid on dividends and there is no suggestion of not being patriotic. We live in ever developing global economy.

What next taking a foreign holiday is unpatriotic as we're not spending our money in the UK.

So YES it is perfectly OK to put money into foreign opportunities

Cameron will not last 4 years, given that he has already stated he will not seek a third term, so I fail to see the relevance of the question.

so you think its Ok for someone in public office to put money in a bank account in a foriegn bank, in an account set up by your father to minimise your tax payments whereby depriving you own country of and at the same time moaning about others who do the same.
I stress the point immoral and very unpatrionic, if he had never moaned about someone else doing I personally would not give a monkeys but he did ...............................if you think its OK to take the p1ss then OK doff your cap and carry on

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
As he hasn't made his tax return public(Just the bits he wants us to know) is the biggest potential gripe being hidden?

someone will find it

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Where have people claimed he stole from the taxpayer? Yes there might be a few idiots that spout crap but in the main the criticism is that he was very good at slating others for benefiting from offshore tax havens and tax avoidance schemes yet he knew all along he had benefited from an offshore tax haven!!. You can put blue spin on it as much as you like.

There have been assertions earlier on in this thread that he stole from the taxpayer by using an offshore investment. Which as we know now, is tripe.

The only benefit he personally made from an offshore investment was the capital gain on that investment which was not enough to pay tax on as it fell within his personal capital gains tax allowance. He declared it on his tax return. This is the same allowance that everyone else has. There is no evidence so far to suggest that he personally gained from a tax haven. Do not confuse offshore investments with tax havens as they are not the same thing. There is nothing stopping you or I from investing offshore - as long as we declare it and pay tax on it as necessary, we have done nothing wrong at all. The only barrier to that of course is lack of money to do so!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
so you think its Ok for someone in public office to put money in a bank account in a foriegn bank, in an account set up by your father to minimise your tax payments whereby depriving you own country of and at the same time moaning about others who do the same.
I stress the point immoral and very unpatrionic, if he had never moaned about someone else doing I personally would not give a monkeys but he did ...............................if you think its OK to take the p1ss then OK doff your cap and carry on

But he didn't minimise his tax. He used the same capital gains allowance that everyone has. He declared it on his tax return.

What his father did is neither here nor there, surely. We stopped punishing children for the sins of their father's a long time ago. At least I hope we did.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
so you think its Ok for someone in public office to put money in a bank account in a foriegn bank, in an account set up by your father to minimise your tax payments

its for investing in $ equities. see FT information. tax was paid when the units sold, so no avoidance occured. this is the same more or less as you investing in a London listed unit trust.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
But he didn't minimise his tax. He used the same capital gains allowance that everyone has. He declared it on his tax return.

What his father did is neither here nor there, surely. We stopped punishing children for the sins of their father's a long time ago. At least I hope we did.

do you not see the hypocracy, even being involved with something shady, which he thought was so wrong when admonishing a bloody comedian FFS.
what his father done was relevent , so tell me all those who had an account with his company were not trying to minimise their tax and the good old david did to prosper from this.
whatever it will come out and I am sure slippery dave will still prosper, would be interesting to see how many others here had an account with his father in a foreign bank

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
There have been assertions earlier on in this thread that he stole from the taxpayer by using an offshore investment. Which as we know now, is tripe.

The only benefit he personally made from an offshore investment was the capital gain on that investment which was not enough to pay tax on as it fell within his personal capital gains tax allowance. He declared it on his tax return. This is the same allowance that everyone else has. There is no evidence so far to suggest that he personally gained from a tax haven. Do not confuse offshore investments with tax havens as they are not the same thing. There is nothing stopping you or I from investing offshore - as long as we declare it and pay tax on it as necessary, we have done nothing wrong at all. The only barrier to that of course is lack of money to do so!

and a nice comfortable life that his parents gave him ..............."..Oh where did that come from dad.................Panama son"

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
to put money in a bank account in a foriegn bank, in an account set up by your father to minimise your tax payments whereby depriving you own country

What money did he place in a foreign bank to minimise his tax payments.

He has publicly stated he owned a number of foreign shares on which he paid UK income tax on the dividends, and would have paid capital gains tax if his liability had been above the threshold.

Perhaps you would like to stick to the truth to support your views, you may find it helpful.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
pity he did not do that then

Thats what i do as its simplier but less choice than going offshore. But its not illegal to invest in unit trusts offshore, indeed is standard practice in many areas so i may do so one day, its my choice, just as it is everyone else's. Check where your pension invests if you have one

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The good old 'selling the gold' argument!!

Alternatively, the Tories could have reinvested the oil revenue in infrastructure or the money from selling utilities, railways etc. But they didn't.

How about the other points i made, how can you defend letting building companies OWN the buildings lock stock and barrel and renting everything including the kitchen sink back at exorbitant prices over 30 years. This was in the 13 years of mismanagement by Labour.......but you would rather deflect to the Tories and ignore the complete incompetence that WE will be paying for until roughly 2035. By the way i have little time for the Tories either, but Labour (the working mans party joke) always feck things up.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
do you not see the hypocracy, even being involved with something shady, which he thought was so wrong when admonishing a bloody comedian FFS.
what his father done was relevent , so tell me all those who had an account with his company were not trying to minimise their tax and the good old david did to prosper from this.
whatever it will come out and I am sure slippery dave will still prosper, would be interesting to see how many others here had an account with his father in a foreign bank

There is no hypocrisy to see. He has paid all the tax that he was due to and he has declared all of his income (unless you know otherwise of course).

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Thats what i do as its simplier but less choice than going offshore. But its not illegal to invest in unit trusts offshore, indeed is standard practice in many areas so i may do so one day, its my choice, just as it is everyone else's. Check where your pension invests if you have one
no I have not got a private pension, but if I did have one it would be in this country

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
no I have not got a private pension, but if I did have one it would be in this country

Ok, fair enough althoguh if a person has any pension other than a government one it will invest in all asset types and in many countries. Been the case for a long time.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
What money did he place in a foreign bank to minimise his tax payments.

He has publicly stated he owned a number of foreign shares on which he paid UK income tax on the dividends, and would have paid capital gains tax if his liability had been above the threshold.

Perhaps you would like to stick to the truth to support your views, you may find it helpful.

you convienantly did not put all of my quote
the hypocracy is that he was preaching to a comedian FFS about cheating the British tax payer yet he/hisfather was doing just that
thats the point I have been trying to make, if you think thats OK well then OK we will have to differ
there will be a lot more to come yet

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here