Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We are totally embarrassing away from home...

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Imagine how the Saints fans feel. Two terrible first half performances. (yes Saints were not great) our first half effort goes down as one of the worst by a top flight team. They manage to get a two goal advantage, the second being against the run of play. Then they let us back in to grab a share of the spoils, and deservedly so. I would rather be a Brighton fan than a Saints fan last night!

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
i didn't see last nights game and am restricted to watching on tv most of the time , we are capable of mixing it with most teams on our day so why we would sit back against a team like savamptun , as others have said , is beyond me ......CH said it felt like a win ....!! when will the players think " fsake...if we'd played like that from the start we probably would have got 3points"....i just don't get the ponderously slow build up and constant backward passes , one minute we've got a corner 10 seconds later Matty's looking to punt it into touch just past the halfway line ....what's the point .

It was match of two halves - to a degree what you are complaining about is the nature of sport: you cant always reason why you are crap some of the time and much better other times. As a spectator it is frustrating but you surely have seen plenty of matches where one team dominates for a while then it reverses. What I find interesting is that we were dogshite in first half, much better in 2nd when all the subs that many posters moan about came on.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
It was match of two halves - to a degree what you are complaining about is the nature of sport: you cant always reason why you are crap some of the time and much better other times. As a spectator it is frustrating but you surely have seen plenty of matches where one team dominates for a while then it reverses. What I find interesting is that we were dogshite in first half, much better in 2nd when all the subs that many posters moan about came on.

There was more of a betterness margin between us and them in the 2nd half than they over us in the 1st half. Does that make sense?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yep. Without Hughton adapting his tactics, motivating the players at half time, and making key substiutions, we'd have lost.

If we’d been playing anyone decent we’d have been three down and it would have been too late at half time.

Saints at home are a walking defeat. I’m not arguing that we should go out all guns blazing at Anfield or the Etihad but we should be picking our battles by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Sorry, still completely stand by this thread. We were abysmal for the first 60 minutes against one of the weakest sides in the league at home. Good character to come back but that may be one of our only opportunities for quite a while to register an away win and I don't think we even had a shot in the first half.

The local paper in Southampton found lots of positives in their performance, which I would have to agree with. They have some good players who did seem to be getting their act together. They may be one of the weakest sides in the league at home, but they really thought they lost the opportunity tonight to bring that to an end.

We did well to get it back to an even keel. And just because Saints have a rubbish home record at the moment doesn't mean that they are not capable of playing well. Their last time out they destroyed Palace..... away.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yes, though it needed a sharp eyed ref to give us the opportunity to equalize.

But you still get the "he went over easily for a big lad" stuff from Hughes. They showed on the Sky coverage last night, which we watched when we got home from the Match, that Ward-Prowse shoulder charged Duffy in the back. However easily he fell over, it was still a foul. And from where I was sitting two rows behind the goal, the velocity with which Duffy was expelled from the general scrum of players did seem to confirm that he didn't just "fall over". He came flying out.

And my Saints STH wife and her friend were not pleased......:O:albion2:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The local paper in Southampton found lots of positives in their performance, which I would have to agree with. They have some good players who did seem to be getting their act together. They may be one of the weakest sides in the league at home, but they really thought they lost the opportunity tonight to bring that to an end.

We did well to get it back to an even keel. And just because Saints have a rubbish home record at the moment doesn't mean that they are not capable of playing well. Their last time out they destroyed Palace..... away.

Beating Palace without Zaha is not that big an achievement in fairness

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Yep. Without Hughton adapting his tactics, motivating the players at half time, and making key substiutions, we'd have lost.

We shouldn't have been in the position we found ourselves in at half time. Maybe the tactics should be right from the start and motivating the players should be done before the first half.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
But you still get the "he went over easily for a big lad" stuff from Hughes. They showed on the Sky coverage last night, which we watched when we got home from the Match, that Ward-Prowse shoulder charged Duffy in the back. However easily he fell over, it was still a foul. And from where I was sitting two rows behind the goal, the velocity with which Duffy was expelled from the general scrum of players did seem to confirm that he didn't just "fall over". He came flying out.

And my Saints STH wife and her friend were not pleased......:O:albion2:
Did you make passionate love last night ? I would have been tempted to have rogered my Mrs senseless last night if she was Saints and screemed Duffy Duffy Duffy as I finished. But Then again I’m odd.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Saints weren't very good and neither were we. As bad as we played Saints didn't really create much a shot from 30 odd yards, a penalty and a free kick in the last minute from memory that was about it, so some credit to our performance.

At times we think our only ball out is long to Murray which is all well and good but we don't get close to him and he becomes isolated. It's not really CH's style to gamble and push more players forward which means the ball keeps on coming back. I feel we just need to be a tad more positive, I fully understand why we play this style however it ain't pretty to watch.

theboybilly

Thought we might be battered once their second went in but we seemed to react to it in a very positive manner, its as though the team all thought we are 2-0 down nothing to loose so go for it.

We were reacting as soon as the second half started to be fair. The penalty was something that I thought would knock the stuffing out of a spirited comeback. Credit where it's due though the boys kept at it and then some. However, before the season started much was made of the emphasis on pressing the opposition this season. I'm not expecting to witness much of this at places such as Anfield but these tactics were patently absent at Watford. We've done quite well with it at times at home. Once we pushed up on Saints we looks a very accomplished side and were giving them real headaches. To my mind Hughes bottled it with his substitutions culminating in him bringing Stephens on (I think it was) when he needed a bit of extra height. Hopefully lessons will be learned and we won't be afraid to start on the front foot a bit more. Last night showed we can go for it when we want just as we did at Selhurst last season

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Did you make passionate love last night ? I would have been tempted to have rogered my Mrs senseless last night if she was Saints and screemed Duffy Duffy Duffy as I finished. But Then again I’m odd.

Errrrr........, no.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We were reacting as soon as the second half started to be fair. The penalty was something that I thought would knock the stuffing out of a spirited comeback. Credit where it's due though the boys kept at it and then some. However, before the season started much was made of the emphasis on pressing the opposition this season. I'm not expecting to witness much of this at places such as Anfield but these tactics were patently absent at Watford. We've done quite well with it at times at home. Once we pushed up on Saints we looks a very accomplished side and were giving them real headaches. To my mind Hughes bottled it with his substitutions culminating in him bringing Stephens on (I think it was) when he needed a bit of extra height. Hopefully lessons will be learned and we won't be afraid to start on the front foot a bit more. Last night showed we can go for it when we want just as we did at Selhurst last season

Totally agree, particularly with the "As soon as the second half started" comment. It was noticeable straight from the whistle.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Someone kill this thread FFS.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think this thread may have been a bit premature, although I agree we looked absolute shite in the first half. Great comeback though I definitely wasn’t embarrassed by the end :thumbsup:

I can understand the first half frustration completely from the posts here. Why don't we just start as we did in the second half? It's quite baffling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here