Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You don't need permission to use salbutamol, it doesn't actually require a TUE, it just has a dose limit.
Cool.

Froome's readings showed he was over that limit
No they don't. As you say, Sky showed that their method of calculating his dose was flawed.

We'll never know if he actually took too much or not, we only know they were satisfied there was a legitimate reason for his high reading.
And likewise we'll never know if any of the other cyclists took more than they should have. The fact is, there's no evidence to show that he took too much, so why try and make it sound like he did?

My saying Thomas has never required a TUE was only to say he's never been involved in any controversies, that he is genuinely one of the nice guys in the peloton and in cycling generally - that in turn didn't mean to imply those taking TUE are bad guys. Hope that clarifies that.
Oh ok. I love G, absolutely delighted he won. And I agree, he does seem to be thought of by everyone as one of the nicest guys in the peloton. But while you're not saying those taking TUEs are bad guys, you are saying they're treading a tight rope of controversy, and I think that's a bit unfair if they really need to take the meds (something I assume we don't know).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Cool.

No they don't. As you say, Sky showed that their method of calculating his dose was flawed.

And likewise we'll never know if any of the other cyclists took more than they should have. The fact is, there's no evidence to show that he took too much, so why try and make it sound like he did?

Oh ok. I love G, absolutely delighted he won. And I agree, he does seem to be thought of by everyone as one of the nicest guys in the peloton. But while you're not saying those taking TUEs are bad guys, you are saying they're treading a tight rope of controversy, and I think that's a bit unfair if they really need to take the meds (something I assume we don't know).

It was 19% over the rule limit. They didn't show the method of calculating his levels were flawed, they showed there was a legitimate reason the levels came back 19% high - namely that on that day they also showed he suffered severe dehydration and exhaustion.

TUEs are a tightrope of controversy whether it's fair or not.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It was 19% over the rule limit.
There's a limit on how much he could take. You said that his readings showed he was over that limit. That isn't the case, because the readings don't show how much he'd taken at all, they simply showed what he was pissing out, and Sky have shown that in the case of Salbutamol, that's not a good enough way of measuring what he'd actually taken.

They didn't show the method of calculating his levels were flawed
Mmm, that's not what I understood the case to be.
they showed there was a legitimate reason the levels came back 19% high - namely that on that day they also showed he suffered severe dehydration and exhaustion.
That sounds like the same thing as showing that the method of estimating (not calculating) his intake is flawed.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There's a limit on how much he could take. You said that his readings showed he was over that limit. That isn't the case, because the readings don't show how much he'd taken at all, they simply showed what he was pissing out, and Sky have shown that in the case of Salbutamol, that's not a good enough way of measuring what he'd actually taken.

Mmm, that's not what I understood the case to be.
That sounds like the same thing as showing that the method of estimating (not calculating) his intake is flawed.

I suggest you take a read elsewhere. When dehydration was taken into account, he was still 19% over the limit on the level in his system.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/everything-you-need-to-know-about-chris-froomes-salbutamol-case-362848
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/more-details-of-chris-froomes-successful-salbutamol-defence/

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I suggest you take a read elsewhere. When dehydration was taken into account, he was still 19% over the limit on the level in his system.
But the limit isn't how much is in your system, it's how much you take.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can't we go back to 'the rules'?
That's much more fun and by jiminy this dead horse has been flogged something chronic.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That's a fair comment on cycling in general. What I'm unconvinced about is Sky just winning because they have the biggest budget.

To be clear, just in case you were inferring it, I have never said Sky is just winning because they have the biggest budget.

Oh, and as it's you Trig. Think it best to let you know I'm off out riding in a bit so will NOT be arguing all evening with you on the finer points :kiss:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
David Walsh is the award winning Sunday Times investigative journalist, who working with Paul Kimmage, made enemies of both Stephen Roche and Armstrong for his unrelenting digging years before others. Earlier this monh, after fully investigating the Froome and WADA saga, Walsh issued a full apology to Froome for having previously doubting him in articles, calling it his biggest regret. Walsh has as good a knowledge as anyone of the dark arts in pro cycling.

IMG_2770.PNG

IMG_2769.PNG

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
David Walsh is the award winning Sunday Times investigative journalist, who working with Paul Kimmage, made enemies of both Stephen Roche and Armstrong for his unrelenting digging years before others. Earlier this monh, after fully investigating the Froome and WADA saga, Walsh issued a full apology to Froome for having previously doubting him in articles, calling it his biggest regret. Walsh has as good a knowledge as anyone of the dark arts in pro cycling.

Wonder if Tom Fordyce has offered any kind of apology yet? He was pretty critical too. Amazing it got to this, but of course it should have stayed confidential.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Wonder if Tom Fordyce has offered any kind of apology yet? He was pretty critical too. Amazing it got to this, but of course it should have stayed confidential.

Some folk at the BBC struggle wiith apologies (Savile, Cliff Richard).

At least it's all out in the open I suppose. Better that than the long term grind of rumours about Roche senior, Bjarne Riis, Armstrong, et seq.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] gives a big wave, shouts "Good morning old chap," and smiles broadly.

My mate Col de Col started like that, we kicked him into a ditch and set fire to his bike
He now nods.

#ToughLove.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Does the strength of the greeting depend upon where you are and when?

What about those lonely winter evenings when you're in a country lane, its dark and the rain is relentless. You see another rider's light coming towards you and both belt out a cheery "Good Evening!". There's a place in my repertoire for that greeting.

On the other hand I completely ignore all other riders if I'm in the rush hour in London as I pass several hundred!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

What about those lonely winter evenings when you're in a country lane, its dark and the rain is relentless. You see another rider's light coming towards you and both belt out a cheery "Good Evening!". There's a place in my repertoire for that greeting.

On the other hand I completely ignore all other riders if I'm in the rush hour in London as I pass several hundred!

Worse one that happened to me was quietly cycling down the Edburton Road, lost in thoughts and daydreams, another cyclist with the quietest bike in the world going the same way came up along side me and before he was in my vision shouted 'all right mate!'. I nearly ended up in a friggin bush I jumped so much. Heart rate monitor spiked too! :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

No everyone gets the same treatment, they might be a fkw.

I did once find myself behind a procession of pensioners out for a spin.
I didn't want to seem as rude as I usually am, so said 'good morning' twenty times in quick successions.

I was worth it as one of them said 'oh here comes a young'un'. :lol: :love:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here