Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will / should Hodgson resign if we go out in the Group phase?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You need to get some perspective here. Germany rolled out a new young team in 2006 and have been finalists or semi-finalists in every tournament since. England do the same and lose both first games. Progress?

In 2006 in the groups Germany beat Costa Rica (ranked 68), Ecuador (ranked 30) and Poland (ranked 24).

England have just lost to Uruguay (ranked 7) and Italy (ranked 9).

Any young team would like to have the walkover group that Germany had in 2006...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Hope so...he's clueless

My one post on this thread as you are the first moron I saw. Anyone who thinks Hodgson should be sacked is the reason we've won nothing for almost 50 years. The team clearly improved since the Euros, even an idiot can see that, and we have an inexperienced squad. We played much better than when getting through an easy group 4 years ago.

I genuinely believe we can compete at the Euros in 2016. Sack Hodgson and we have to start again. In fact, before I slag off the above post too much, why did some idiot start this thread?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
In 2006 in the groups Germany beat Costa Rica (ranked 68), Ecuador (ranked 30) and Poland (ranked 24).

Any young team would like to have the walkover group that Germany had in 2006...

Why can't we have more common sense like this?

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
I appreciate what you are saying about the quality of the opposition, but the facts are:

Played 2, lost 2, 0 points and bottom of the group.

That isn't the direction of travel I was hoping for.

You can't honestly be more disheartened about England now than you were in 2010?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Yes, Hodgson needs to go.

Worst tournament performance since Turnip Taylor was in charge.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Very much hope not. Will the FA use him as a scapegoat is a different story.
When your 2 centre backs play like Sunday league players after a good Saturday night, your full backs can't stop a cross and they are the best we have, it was always going to end up this way.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think he should stay.

This tournament has merely shown up shortcomings that no manager could overcome. The fact is we had a very difficult group, and my constant predictions of not making it through the group were based on that rather than the manager. The fact is our back four is awful but that's all we had fit. Would Ashley Cole have made a difference? Probably not. Would Gibbs? Maybe. But Jagielka and Cahill are a bang average centre half pairing and yet they're the best we've got. The fact is we have no star player, no killer finisher. We don't have Suarez or Van Persie or Messi or Naymar. Arguably the Germans don't either but they have more good players in each position and Muller already has a hat trick.

Given these shortcomings and limitations we need a bit of consistency. I can't think of a current English manager I'd rather have in charge or a foreign one who'd want to do it.

We're not good enough people. Accept it and enjoy what is otherwise a stunningly good World Cup thus far.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

As well as a home crowd...

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
My one post on this thread as you are the first moron I saw. Anyone who thinks Hodgson should be sacked is the reason we've won nothing for almost 50 years. The team clearly improved since the Euros, even an idiot can see that, and we have an inexperienced squad. We played much better than when getting through an easy group 4 years ago.

I genuinely believe we can compete at the Euros in 2016. Sack Hodgson and we have to start again. In fact, before I slag off the above post too much, why did some idiot start this thread?

head_in_the_sand-461x307.jpg

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yes, Hodgson needs to go.

Worst tournament performance since Turnip Taylor was in charge.

Yes, because Hodgson is the problem. Same as Cappello, Mcclaren, Sven, Keegan, Hoddle, Taylor etc were before him.

I mean, what does a man who has managed Halmstads, Bristol City, IK Oddevold, Örebro SK, Malmö FF, Neuchâtel Xamax, Switzerland, Inter Milan, Blackburn Rovers, Grasshoppers, F.C. Copenhagen, Udinese, United Arab Emirates, Viking, Finland, Fulham, Liverpool, West Bromwich Albion
and England, speaks five different languages, has won 9 league titles, 3 cups, taken Fulham to the Europa League final and won the LMA Manager of the year know about football?

It's almost as bad as when we had that nobody in charge who had only won 5 Serie A titles, 5 Suppercoppa Italias, 1 European Super Cup, 2 La Liga titles, and the Champions League, and had only managed also rans such as AC Milan (twice), Real Madrid (twice), Roma and Juventus.

Yes, it's the manager's fault, that's clearly the problem. Let's hound him out again, that will solve the deep rooted problems in English football.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes, because Hodgson is the problem. Same as Cappello, Mcclaren, Sven, Keegan, Hoddle, Taylor etc were before him.

I mean, what does a man who has managed Halmstads, Bristol City, IK Oddevold, Örebro SK, Malmö FF, Neuchâtel Xamax, Switzerland, Inter Milan, Blackburn Rovers, Grasshoppers, F.C. Copenhagen, Udinese, United Arab Emirates, Viking, Finland, Fulham, Liverpool, West Bromwich Albion
and England, speaks five different languages, has won 9 league titles, 3 cups, taken Fulham to the Europa League final and won the LMA Manager of the year know about football?

It's almost as bad as when we had that nobody in charge who had only won 5 Serie A titles, 5 Suppercoppa Italias, 1 European Super Cup, 2 La Liga titles, and the Champions League, and had only managed also rans such as AC Milan (twice), Real Madrid (twice), Roma and Juventus.

Yes, it's the manager's fault, that's clearly the problem. Let's hound him out again, that will solve the deep rooted problems in English football.

You're a sensible man.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Well said that man.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Cap on foreign players in 25 man squads are needed and we need to improve the number of top qualified coaches and facilities across all levels of football.

B teams are not the answer.

This is where we are obviously behind other countries, and it's easily proved by the numbers. Were not technically as good as other countries? No sh*t! There's nobody qualified to teach our young children and that's where it begins.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=St2jU4irKqfY8geyvYGwBQ#q=number+of+qualified+football+coaches+by+country

Instead of spunking all their cash on top level facilities the FA should be start a long term strategy of putting people through their coaching badges. First ALL sports teachers in schools and anyone currently running a junior football team. Then they should open it up to anyone who wants to do it.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Yes, he should go, he has a hang dog look and manner that I think is rubbing off on the players, younger, more dynamic please, especially as there is green shoots of a new generation of young players starting to push aside the old guard.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
To be honest, it is a shambles which is more of a joke than even England's recent series of tournament debacles over the last 16 years.

We need a tactical genius to get the best out of the current crop of England players, and Hodgson isn't that in my opinion.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's a shit statistic, although the reality probably helps your point, as it ignores when England do not even qualify for the World Cup final.

True, but out of 15 world cups since '58 they did not qualify for 3 i.e. it's a stat based on 12 as opposed to a possible 15. Personally I do not think this invalidates my point.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The manager is not the problem.

The problem with English football is far more deep rooted than Hodgson. In fact I'd go as far as to say Hodgson is one of the most intelligent men in English football and he should play a big role in a complete overhaul of the FA and grass roots football, he's probably a bit too nice for the top job managing such mercanaries.

Replacing Hodgson will do very little to help us out in 2 or 4 years time.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Should never had the job in the first place. FA are culpable as are the premier league for not have a cap on home grown players imo. Roy is and never has been good enough. I do not know one person who thought he was a good appointment.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Should never had the job in the first place. FA are culpable as are the premier league for not have a cap on home grown players imo. Roy is and never has been good enough. I do not know one person who thought he was a good appointment.

Utter bollocks. Who would you have? Are you seriously stupid enough to think that the problem is Roy Hodgson?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here