Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Albion have second highest level of debt in British football

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Top of the table is Manchester United, who owe £496 million to banks and have paid £785 million in interest to the banks since the Glazers took over.

2nd is the Albion, who owe £207 million, nearly all of which is to Sir Tony Bloom, and have paid NOTHING in interest to him since he took over.

[Tweet]1070630954279018497[/Tweet]

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Based on the number of programmes sold per game (i'm guessing at 5000 for the sake of this), a price rise of 50p and we can have that debt cleared in 4,357 years (3600 if we are relegated and never go back up).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The goonsquad are going to LOVE this. They've never quite been able to get their heads around an interest-free "debt" to Tony Bloom being completely different to a debt to, say, Agilo. Or the fact that the majority of the debt has been through huge investment in infrastructure to get us away from a council athletics track and a ploughed field for a training ground - as opposed to pouring hundreds of millions of pounds into players and agents pockets over the last 6 years and having absolutely nothing whatsoever to show for it.

I'm ok with that.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
The goonsquad are going to LOVE this. They've never quite been able to get their heads around an interest-free "debt" to Tony Bloom being completely different to a debt to, say, Agilo. Or the fact that the majority of the debt has been through huge investment in infrastructure to get us away from a council athletics track and a ploughed field for a training ground - as opposed to pouring hundreds of millions of pounds into players and agents pockets over the last 6 years and having absolutely nothing whatsoever to show for it.

I'm ok with that.

£200m? That'd buy them TWO lovely new stands.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Ipswich seem to be high on the list, considering where they are in the league and what they spend. Do they owe the money to the banks or to Marcus Evans?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ipswich seem to be high on the list, considering where they are in the league and what they spend. Do they owe the money to the banks or to Marcus Evans?

Evans

Ipswich 2018 Debt.JPG

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Can't say I'm particularly worried. Tony can clearly afford it and I would imagine, over time, he'll turn that debt into shares. Equally four or five seasons in the PL could pay it off without reducing the playing budget to zero.

Now if I was a Man U fan I'd be more concerned as the Glazers borrowed that money against the club to buy the club - standard business practice for takeovers I know but not something that would sit comfotably we me as a fan.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Top of the table is Manchester United, who owe £496 million to banks and have paid £785 million in interest to the banks since the Glazers took over.

2nd is the Albion, who owe £207 million, nearly all of which is to Sir Tony Bloom, and have paid NOTHING in interest to him since he took over.

£785m in interest?? Jeez. TB is a true fan of the cluib.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I'm ok with that.

Quite.

As we piled, drunkenly, out of hte West Lower bar on Tuesday night Tony passed us by with what can only be described as a massive shit-eating grin on his face. His entourage looked pretty happy too (and you know you've made it when you really and truly have an entourage). He did not look like a man who was going to demand repayment any time soon - more like a bloke satisfied that at last his favourite toy was bringing pleasure to him and thousands of others.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Can't say I'm particularly worried. Tony can clearly afford it and I would imagine, over time, he'll turn that debt into shares. Equally four or five seasons in the PL could pay it off without reducing the playing budget to zero.

Hasn't Tony Bloom already converted some of that 'debt' into shares? I know he said if anything happened to him (God forbid) the money is ring fenced.

As Easy 10 says, this is just ammunition for opponents, especially the goons up the road to try and fling at us.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Quite.

As we piled, drunkenly, out of hte West Lower bar on Tuesday night Tony passed us by with what can only be described as a massive shit-eating grin on his face. His entourage looked pretty happy too (and you know you've made it when you really and truly have an entourage). He did not look like a man who was going to demand repayment any time soon - more like a bloke satisfied that at last his favourite toy was bringing pleasure to him and thousands of others.

Exactly. Would you rather have wheelbarrow-loads of money or own the Albion? Wads of tenners don't score with their first touch after coming on as a substitute or humiliate James Tomkins..

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's only part of the picture though, and should be balanced against the income that other clubs have received in the past 5 - 10 years. And that we haven't ever been in administration.

Some clubs have been in administration TWICE too.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I suppose my burning question is what are the assets worth?

ManUnited value at £3bn according to forbes. Debt to value ratio of 16%. No idea what the Albion is currently worth as equity against the loan.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I suppose my burning question is what are the assets worth?

ManUnited value at £3bn according to forbes. Debt to value ratio of 16%.

Given their current form no doubt worth a few bob less at present, sadly it is true that there will always be some crook or other who would like to own a 'Name' Football Club...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here