Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Christmas telly FFS!!

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007
Everyone's free to watch and enjoy what they like etc. etc. but I can't resist the temptation of joining in the slagging off!
When it first aired it was trailed with a label of best comedy to come out of Ireland since Father Ted. High praise indeed, so I gave it a watch which lasted about 10 minutes. After another 2 years or so I was seeing that it was winning various awards and, thinking maybe I was a bit hasty and missing out on some good comedy by stubbornly refusing to watch I gave it another chance, vowing to watch a complete episode no matter what.
It was of course the same as I had remembered it. Why say for example "put the kettle on" when you can say "put the fecking kettle on" and get your audience rolling on the floor with laughter?
Who knew the word fecking could change normal dialogue into award winning comedy?
Fans of this should check out reruns of On the Buses for your perfect Christmas!

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Mrs.Browns Boys - 2 episodes...why?? blah blah blah...

FFS, another thread about how much someone doesn't like MBB. Do you only have one feckin channel?? Millions of people love this show. Get over it!

Plenty of other stuff for you to do over Christmas. Like start another few threads about MBB.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If you want limited choice go to North Korea and watch their Christmas TV - highlight is "the best rants of Kim Jong Un."

Being a Communist state, North Korea do not celebrate Christmas, so their can not be any Christmas TV to watch in North Korea.

However, if the BBC replaced Mrs Browns Boys and Miranda with the best rants of the esteemed leader, viewing figures would jump at least tenfold, as the rants would be far more entertaining than Mrs Browns Boys and Miranda combined.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Talking of annual events, the BBC is finally showing 'Dinner For One' this year. It's as regular a feature on Christmas TV in Germany, Austria, Switzerland etc as 'The Sound of Music' and 'The Great Escape' are here.

[MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] and [MENTION=12880]Hotchilidog[/MENTION] will know what I'm on about.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Does anybody actually watch the Queen's speech anymore?

She is told what to say, records it well before the day and it is hardly festive cheer.

Best thing she could say this year is that in future the Royal Family will have a squad of only 25 on the Civil List and all the others will have to get a real job. Every time a new heir is born, someone has to drop out. Now that would be interesting.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Talking of annual events, the BBC is finally showing 'Dinner For One' this year. It's as regular a feature on Christmas TV in Germany, Austria, Switzerland etc as 'The Sound of Music' and 'The Great Escape' are here.

[MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] and [MENTION=12880]Hotchilidog[/MENTION] will know what I'm on about.

Absolutely. It’s shown every year, has been for decades, although on a point of pedantry it’s a staple of NYE tv.

They don’t seem to show The Great Escape for some reason :lolol:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
FFS, another thread about how much someone doesn't like MBB. Do you only have one feckin channel?? Millions of people love this show. Get over it!

Plenty of other stuff for you to do over Christmas. Like start another few threads about MBB.

Good point well made.

If it's pulling in over 13 million viewers then the BBC are going to show it, many of the great British public find this show absolutely hilarious.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Does anybody actually watch the Queen's speech anymore?

She is told what to say, records it well before the day and it is hardly festive cheer.

Best thing she could say this year is that in future the Royal Family will have a squad of only 25 on the Civil List and all the others will have to get a real job. Every time a new heir is born, someone has to drop out. Now that would be interesting.

It's more popular than ever, I think it got the highest ratings of anything on last Christmas Day. I know in our house Christmas Day is mayhem but there's 10 minutes at 3pm where you can hear a pin drop and everyone stops to hear what Her Majesty has to say.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Time for my annual 'I wish they would bring back screening all the old Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers, WC Fields etc films that they used to show on BBC2 late at night'. To make it doubly realistic I haven't actually checked that they haven't :thumbsup:

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I miss the 'Christmas Day Specials' like Morecambe & Wise, plus the Christmas Special 'Only Fools & Horses' etc...

Actually, I think I just miss us all sitting round the TV together as a family in anticipation and excitement, all laughing together.

Doesn't happen as much these days. Everyone watches their own thing on their own devices at their own times. :down:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I miss the 'Christmas Day Specials' like Morecambe & Wise, plus the Christmas Special 'Only Fools & Horses' etc...

Actually, I think I just miss us all sitting round the TV together as a family in anticipation and excitement, all laughing together.

Doesn't happen as much these days. Everyone watches their own thing on their own devices at their own times. :down:

I thought the same but funny you should mention this as today The Times carries a piece saying the opposite - so called family-friendly programmes enjoying a resurgence due to so many 20 and 30 somethings still living at home. Bit depressing in a way.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

"Same procedure as every year James..." - still on every year in Sweden and made my grandmother screech every time at the same points year in and year out. Goodness knows why the Europeans like it so much.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
"Same procedure as every year James..." - still on every year in Sweden and made my grandmother screech every time at the same points year in and year out. Goodness knows why the Europeans like it so much.

This is the Freddie Frinton performance. I'm sure I remember seeing him in the late 60s early 70s at the end of the pier (summer) show in Worthing. I think he had star billing, but to be honest that didn't really added up to much.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

I think it is actually very well done.

It's a TV version of an old 1920s Music Hall sketch. We can all have our opinions on Music Hall, especially those who have never watched it, but it does remain in intrinsic part of 19th and 20th Century UK culture.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Good point well made.

If it's pulling in over 13 million viewers then the BBC are going to show it, many of the great British public find this show absolutely hilarious.

Xmas Day ratings are in long term decline (proliferation of channels, other screens) and Mrs BB is also less popular but it still pulled in 9m (with catch up included) for last years 25th Dec episode.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here