Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks, Itry not to go overboard, but I am super proud.

As you should be, if anything you are being a little to restrained, you know how we love a good match report.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
As you should be, if anything you are being a little to restrained, you know how we love a good match report.

I imagine the official report will not be about a rookie 16 year old, but the World champion and the podium finishers, as it should. But there are not many sports that you would get the opportunity at 16 to up against the best.

This was her tweet

“The best experience and weekend of my life! In the same race as the World Champion in my first International CX race weekend! Hopefully I can do it again”

How could any parent not be happy to read that? The results do not matter it is all about enjoyment and experiences. I think it is being supportive without trying to put pressure or expectation on her means the she has struck with it since her first race at 6 years old.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
What are the geeks views on eye-wear on the bike? I've always had to run at a low budget for cycling stuff tbh, and tend to wear cheap glasses from the Aldi & Lidl bike range. Perfectly good quality and fit nicely...and a bargain for £3-4 every time I fancy a change. I've just ordered a pair of Foakley "Jawbreakers" off eBay for £12 though after reading and watching a few reviews online - just to see if they are as good as people say they are. Do you guys only stick with brand names, or are you happy to wear copies?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
What are the geeks views on eye-wear on the bike? I've always had to run at a low budget for cycling stuff tbh, and tend to wear cheap glasses from the Aldi & Lidl bike range. Perfectly good quality and fit nicely...and a bargain for £3-4 every time I fancy a change. I've just ordered a pair of Foakley "Jawbreakers" off eBay for £12 though after reading and watching a few reviews online - just to see if they are as good as people say. Do you guys only stick with brand names, or are you happy to wear fakes?

I wear BBB glasses with a yellow lens. Helps when riding from sunshine to shade. Only got them as I had a voucher for my LBS. before that i wore cheapo safety glasses.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
What are the geeks views on eye-wear on the bike? I've always had to run at a low budget for cycling stuff tbh, and tend to wear cheap glasses from the Aldi & Lidl bike range. Perfectly good quality and fit nicely...and a bargain for £3-4 every time I fancy a change. I've just ordered a pair of Foakley "Jawbreakers" off eBay for £12 though after reading and watching a few reviews online - just to see if they are as good as people say they are. Do you guys only stick with brand names, or are you happy to wear copies?

I am never sure whether it is worth spending the extra money on bike glasses is worth it. I imagine it is better to buy Aldi or Lidl £3 - £4 pound glasses then a fake pair of Oakley's as the lenses and frame will meet EU safety tests that a fake pair will not have been through.

I have a pair of genuine Oakley's and I can say the lenses are better then the cheap pair I also have. I guess you pay the extra for that, design costs and label. But I think any (none fake) glasses as long as they fit and are comfortable should be good.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Planet X don't seem to have the shades I bought from them, a few years ago, in stock.
These appear to be the closest approximation in design, price, and kit.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLCAULT/carnac-ultimate-cycling-glasses-(ansi-z871)

I can't recommend them highly enough.
Comfortable, 3 lens, I wear them all year round, and they're only a tenner.

What's not to love?

Not prescription?

Like banjo, I used to use screwfix or suchlike safety bins. When I got new bins I had a free second pair option so now use geeky library bins which are clear and UV. Pretty weedy in the cold though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hi [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] :wave:

[tweet]1064891586490916866[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I feel physically sick!

Sorry I just can't help myself.
When this stuff appears on my Twitter feed it generates the very definition of a Pavlovian Response.

I guess it's heartening to know people are thinking about you. :kiss:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh I almost forgot, riding back from Jnr's football yesterday me and Stat Club Jnrs were overtaken by:-

6771.jpg

I assume he was from Brighton. :rolleyes: :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good morning [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] :wave:

One day it'll be a nudee lady...

[tweet]1067928654175526914[/tweet]

... just not today.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Got my Jawbreakers delivered this morning...really pleased with them tbh. I was expecting them to be obvious looking cheap knock offs, but they've arrived in Oakley packaging & hard-case etc & look just like the real thing. Decent quality too. Only thing missing is the prescription lens frame that they advertised as included...bugger.

Attachments

• 20181129_115141 (640x480).jpg
    20181129_115141 (640x480).jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 20181129_115248 (640x480).jpg
    20181129_115248 (640x480).jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 20181129_115155 (640x480).jpg
    20181129_115155 (640x480).jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Got my Jawbreakers delivered this morning...really pleased with them tbh. I was expecting them to be obvious looking cheap knock offs, but they've arrived in Oakley packaging & hard-case etc & look just like the real thing. Decent quality too. Only thing missing is the prescription lens frame that they advertised as included...bugger.

They look amazing!

I've been looking for Oakleys for a while, I just can't find anywhere to do prescription lenses at a semi-affordable price. I really don't fancy the contact lens route.

Currently I have some Dunlop prescription cycling glasses courtesy of an optician friend.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
They look amazing!

I've been looking for Oakleys for a while, I just can't find anywhere to do prescription lenses at a semi-affordable price. I really don't fancy the contact lens route.

Currently I have some Dunlop prescription cycling glasses courtesy of an optician friend.

They are really nice. IF (& its a big IF as its a Chinese eBay store) I can get the extra frame sorted out, I have a friend whos an optician & she has said she can fit lenses to the frame for about £30. If not, I do have a set of Rock Bros glasses that came with a myopia frame which I can probably use instead. For less than £50 the lot its a bargain compared to £200+ for real Oakleys.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here