Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Did anyone who watched the Manchester City game...

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We have 3 definite first 11 starters out - Gross, Stephens and Izzy.
Izzy's pace was vital last season even if he did miss the odd good chance along the way.
Gross is the glue for us going forward and the only real no 10 in our squad, I like Bissouma but he is not a no 10.
Stephens let's the others play. No way does Lamela get that run into our box v Spurs if Dale was on the pitch.
Need all 3 back ASAP.

Great post. Stephens (sorry, his detractors) and Izquierdo have in the main been quality for us in the PL, and no one can argue with the goals/assists stas for Gross which were key to staying up last season.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
If all our players were fit/ready, the team yesterday would be what we field for a 'give them a run-out' cup game. I thought the B team did quite well considering.

Nice to see Izzy back, Bissouma getting better every game and AJ looking every bit the PL player. Roll on Friday.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I expected it to be hard and not to win but am of the view we should still try to win OR AT LEAST SHOOT AT THE GOAL. Yes they are a set of superstars but they are human and thus fallible.

I am sure I will upset people on here with my comment but I don't think Locadia is up to it, his whole body language is wrong he looks like he is not interested. You can get a way with it if you are Berbatov and scoring goals but not when you are not. He needs to learn from AK and Murray about commitment and assertion.

This is the player who has publicly stated that his aim is to play for Man Utd and that he is not a good header of the ball.
He gives the impression of disinterest as he lacks any ability to read the game. He fails to make any real meaningful runs, lacks a decent first touch and cannot hold the ball. He doesn't even challenge for a number of headers, such is his lack of confidence. This lack of aerial ability also means that he is a waste of space back in his own penalty area. If fans on here are happy with him leading the line for a few weeks, if anything happens to GM, then I would be interested in reading what they feel that he can bring to the party.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Thought there were lots of positives to be honest - especially for the first hour.
I thought we went for them early on and thought we looked to get forward when we could - obviously that was not very often as City had the ball most of he time. When they had the ball we were organized and hard to break down. I didn't see this as an all out park the bus performance at all and until the first goal thought it was superb and exactly how to play vs City.
The only thing I thought was missing was the final ball. We had lots of chances to create chances but failed to due to either misplacing the pass or playing it too slowly. A bit more quality in that final pass and we would have had more goal scoring opportunities.
Thought Locadia was ok for the first hour but needs the ball in front of him quicker to run on to. We often chose the wrong option when in the attacking third meaning that our attacks petered out - frustrating as when we gave the ball away it took 5 minutes to get it back.
Missed Stephens and Gross but I think we have the squad to cope.
Looking forward to Friday but it will be another difficult game.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
This is the player who has publicly stated that his aim is to play for Man Utd and that he is not a good header of the ball.
He gives the impression of disinterest as he lacks any ability to read the game. He fails to make any real meaningful runs, lacks a decent first touch and cannot hold the ball. He doesn't even challenge for a number of headers, such is his lack of confidence. This lack of aerial ability also means that he is a waste of space back in his own penalty area. If fans on here are happy with him leading the line for a few weeks, if anything happens to GM, then I would be interested in reading what they feel that he can bring to the party.
Completely disagree. Was sat in the 3rd tier yesterday and had a good view of the whole pitch. First half we was constantly on the shoulder of the last defender making runs but was not found. There was one occasion when he made a run behind their left back into space but the ball to him was far too slow. By the time it reached him Walker had covered the whole width of the pitch and made the tackle. A quicker pass to him and he would have had a run at goal.
He is definitely a striker that needs the ball in behind. He tried in the air but is better at flicking it on to a supporting player rather than holding it up on his own. This is ok if he has support but if isolated (like at times yesterday) it will not work.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Yep accuited ourselves well as blue and white training cones. They hardly got out of first gear and didn't really need to.

I didn't expect to win obviously but can't see why the same shit tactics that has produced a pathetic points tally in the premiership are used every away game. Let's not fall into the bullshit trap about well it wasn't a spanking, the odd 3 points are far better than the plus or minus goals column.

“They hardly got out of first gear” They would have wopped us 9 - 0 if they could have done, but our boys kept it to 2. All credit to them for a great defensive performance.

For all those discrediting Locadia, he is not a lone front man, Andone would have been a better choice, but where was he ???

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought we did well in self-containment and damage limitation, remember they pile drived Cardiff last week on the road.

First visit and bizarre we were tier 2, on going up the steps after opening the door I thought I was on the Jubilee Tube line given the opaque concrete effect. Sterile atmosphere, large flag waving etc, fans expectation is to win every game. The Etihad is, bar Wembley the best equipped stadium in the UK albeit not been to West Ham and Spuds should be a good one if and when it opens.

As for our fans slagging Locadia at every chance, give it a break he did OK in my view.

We were in The lower tier (1). It was difficult to get a song going for all the Albion fans because we couldn't hear each other. when the upper tiers were singing it sounded like it was coming from the City fans at the opposite end of the ground. We we starving and were not impressed that the bars had ran out of food when we arrived at 2.30. City obviously didn't know we were coming!

I thought we did as well as we could against an excellent City side. I reckon if Sane played his cards right, he would get a place in our team.

We had the city "singers" right next to us. You could tell their relief when Kun scored their second. It was only then that they really started singing.

On the walk back to the station, my mates were walking ahead. I wasn't wearing colours. I listened to a couple of City fans discussing the match. One said "what did you think of Brighton?" The other replied that we were a well organised defensive unit, better than other clubs who had visited recently (there was no mention of our attacking prowess).

Another city fan started talking to a group of Albion fans. He felt we would be OK but added that we shouldn't hope to qualify for the Champions league as it was a "Pain in the arse". I get the impression that the top club's fans like to qualify for Europe but aren't that bothered about winning the thing.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Like many I watched the game and thought we could have done better. I look at the Wolves style with envy. Recently promoted, show no respect for clubs big or small. Are they better than us man for man, I don't think so. Yet they play free flowing and entertaining, attacking football because that is the way the coaches and manager wants them to play. Meanwhile we spend much of the game backing off and inviting pressure. Do we want to be Seagulls playing as Seagulls or Seagulls playing as Wolves.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Should not take much to be better than Rashford* of England fame. If that doesn't work her has gotta be better as a full back than Trippier and Rose. *Use your head Rashford, so he headbutted him.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Like many I watched the game and thought we could have done better. I look at the Wolves style with envy. Recently promoted, show no respect for clubs big or small. Are they better than us man for man, I don't think so. Yet they play free flowing and entertaining, attacking football because that is the way the coaches and manager wants them to play. Meanwhile we spend much of the game backing off and inviting pressure. Do we want to be Seagulls playing as Seagulls or Seagulls playing as Wolves.

Wolves spent £100M on signings. Their income for the season is likely to be £110M. That's just on signings, not wages, and infrastructure.

https://www.expressandstar.com/spor...-dreamland-with-a-summer-of-stellar-signings/

Is it sustainable or will they crash and burn?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The reporters in the papers seem to have seen something that not many fans have by saying that we are struggling and conceding more goals than last season, no clean sheets yet, due to CH more adventurous attacking style

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I understand why Hughton set the team up like that, he's the manager and is playing the percentages to keep us up, but as a fan it's just so frustrating to watch 7 of our players making no attempt to get out of our half when we get the ball. I'd rather loose 4-0 playing with a bit more intent.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I agree. We should have had a penalty as well. Also to compete against a team, managed by one of the top in the world, owned by a very rich country, and who have spent copious amounts of dosh we certainly didn't let anyone down.

With Man City the top team i was expecting a 5 0 thrashing so we did very well, we must never forget that the Premiership is a two part league,the elite and the rest,when playing the elite you have to pack the side with defensive players and with a bit of luck you wont have to have too many goals in the against column

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I understand why Hughton set the team up like that, he's the manager and is playing the percentages to keep us up, but as a fan it's just so frustrating to watch 7 of our players making no attempt to get out of our half when we get the ball. I'd rather loose 4-0 playing with a bit more intent.

The trouble is, the two occasions we pushed bodies forward, ManC loved it and scored 2 goals.

Perhaps there’s a happy medium in these difficult games with 3 in attack, with pace e.g. Izquierdo, leaving plenty of insurance behind?

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
If you try attacking the top teams you will receive a hammering,you need possession but it must be in our half if you want to sing then join a choir, cheering is the method when attending a football match.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Wolves over a couple of years have accumulated very well known internationals, on huge wages and outspending us on fees too due to their dubious connection with a ‘super agent’. Anyone following European football will know all these ‘names’. Wolves obviously don’t give a monkeys about finances. I wonder if their 2018/19 accounts will show a mysterious and huge rise in commercial/sponsorship income (the ManC model).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here