Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Thanks Al. Sorted :thumbsup:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
About to go running so will check out PB. I wonder how many other CEO's of clubs would come out on a Friday night for such a task?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Indeed. An excellent programme. Thanks.

I get that he is trying to make a profit from all areas, and pleased to hear that they regularly get on Sodexo's case regarding what they provide, certainly in the WSU. It is pitiful when they have run out of things even before the half time whistle blows.

We are lucky to have stadium bars open inside the ground before and after the game. I was sceptical that anyone would stay after a game when this was first mentioned when the stadium opened, but I have never left the area straight after a game, except when they have run out of Harvey's.

But if they are aiming to make a profit from all areas, how long will they persevere with the Seven Stars?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Listened to the first hour at the gym, a great listen, will polish this off on the metro to watch Atletico today. Cheers chaps, crackin podcast.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Paul Barber is the guest on this week.

Just the 87 minutes, instead of the usual 58...
Can you increase the volume on the podcast :rock:. Itsvery quiet on my laptop even at full blast.

Also does the stream still work on your website?. The last couple of ties I've tried to listen it wouldn't start so I had to download the podcast

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Can you increase the volume on the podcast :rock:. Itsvery quiet on my laptop even at full blast.

Also does the stream still work on your website?. The last couple of ties I've tried to listen it wouldn't start so I had to download the podcast

Just checked the website, the show seems to be playing ok for me from there.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No. I thought Barber ran the show!

He did, and gave very good answers to everything. However, the response to the fact first question in was brilliant:

AP: When you first came to the club, one of the phrases you used a lot was 'Premier League Ready'
PB: Hmmm, well I didn't; I used it once actually.

:lol:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Very insightful interview with Paul, like he said he doesn't aim to be popular but in IMO the guy is doing a good job.

He seems very defensive of Sky's contribution to the game but maybe rightly so. Few points he made..

a) Kick off times not at Sat 3pm do not result in smaller gates. Have to question that, usually they are not because they are either on Sky or Tues eve games. Surely both result in fewer bums on seats (against if they were played at 3pm Sat). I get the feeling its an unfair comparison he is making as the Sky games tend to be big ones which attract larger than average crowds anyway

b) Sky contributes to 60% of Championship clubs total revenue. Is that really correct? If it is it cannot be the case for the Albion surely

c) If it wasn't for Sky, ticket prices in the Championship would be significantly higher.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Very insightful interview with Paul, like he said he doesn't aim to be popular but in IMO the guy is doing a good job.

He seems very defensive of Sky's contribution to the game but maybe rightly so. Few points he made..

a) Kick off times not at Sat 3pm do not result in smaller gates. Have to question that, usually they are not because they are either on Sky or Tues eve games. Surely both result in fewer bums on seats (against if they were played at 3pm Sat). I get the feeling its an unfair comparison he is making as the Sky games tend to be big ones which attract larger than average crowds anyway

b) Sky contributes to 60% of Championship clubs total revenue. Is that really correct? If it is it cannot be the case for the Albion surely

c) If it wasn't for Sky, ticket prices in the Championship would be significantly higher.

Paging [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Three things...

3. Someone ordered "The Miracle of Castel di Sangro" via NSC's Amazon link yesterday. Wasn't this discussed on the show the other day?

That was ME, (but it was nothing to do with it being mentioned on the radio, as I didn't listen to that). It was as a result of this week's 'What is your favourite football book?' thread.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm yet to listen (and probably won't) to The Cycling Podcast's recent 1 + hour interview with Sir Dave Brailsford. regarding the recent news on Wiggins. I have now listened to the subsequent episode.

There the chaps (3 well respected cycling journo's) were talking of how they were turned upon after the podcast was released, because they weren't forceful enough.

Their take on all interviews is to give the interviewee enough rope and it's then up to them to decide what to do with it.

Apparently a lot of the annoyance with DB was when given the space to talk, he just kept talking.
Not really talking suspiciously just by giving 'exhaustive explanations to everything' he moves so far away from the original point, it all starts to sound unsatisfactory.

It was impossible for me to listen to that section and not think of this thread.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

PB fails to realise that if it weren't for Sky's TV money, we would have lower player wages and transfer fees and in turn lower ticket prices. But yes if they suddenly stopped the money today, then ticket prices would not have time to rise as clubs would go bust too. Sky have too much power in the game but we can't turn the clocks back, I fail to see why PB makes statements like that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
PB also said that fans complain about plain backs, striped backs and number patches on the backs of shirts, I can't agree with the point about patches, and I'm fine with stripes.

Look at these two beauts, patches on the back are just fine IMO

image.jpeg

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I usually listen to it on my laptop at full blast too. The problem for me isn't so much the overall volume, but usually the volume of the guests, which seems to be much quieter than the presenters. So it's a sound mix issue.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here