Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goldson - Rangers [CONFIRMED]

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Absolutely not. I'd be very surprised if they were prepared to even talk, until the figures are in excess of £5m.

They have to consider his worth to the squad, and the cost of securing a suitable replacement. £2m would be ridiculously low, in both evaluations.
You are probably right. I suppose we could look at what we paid for Duffy and factor in lack of game experience in the last 2 seasons.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Well of course that would be good for Hall, but if Rangers bid for one of our players we don't just offer them a youth player instead.

Imagine if we bid for Delaney and Bremen said "No - but you can have Hans from the U21s". [emoji38]ol:

Hence my later suggestion of White although it must be remembered we bought Hall from Motherwell and having played regularly in the Premier in Scotland so not a youth player as generally accepted.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I don't.

A player's 'value' isn't like the book value of a second hand car. The factors include their age / experience, and critically their length of remaining contract at their club, and the financial situation of that club.

Blackburn were happy to accept £3m or so for Duffy, because he had a year left, wanted to leave, and that was a big sum for a team about to drop to League One. £3m for a similar player, on a long contract, to a Premier League club (who'd need to spend twice that to replace him) isn't nearly enough to open discussions.

How can you say "for a team about to drop into league 1" ? Duffy was signed in Aug which is basically the beginning of the season. He was first choice at Blackburn in the Championship and has clocked up quite a few appearances.

Goldson is 3rd choice atm, hardly played and came from a league 2 side that was just promoted. 3 million is absolute tops in my books.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
There were differing reports at the time we bought him, but the suggestions were that the Shrews have a 10% sell-on clause.

Been reading the Shrews forum. They certainly do have a sell on according to them but not sure what percentage.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There were differing reports at the time we bought him, but the suggestions were that the Shrews have a 10% sell-on clause.

The sell-on is only payable on PROFIT, so what % they have is entirely irrelevant, if we sell him for what some of the contributors on this thread are suggesting!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Absolutely not. I'd be very surprised if they were prepared to even talk, until the figures are in excess of £5m.

They have to consider his worth to the squad, and the cost of securing a suitable replacement. £2m would be ridiculously low, in both evaluations.

Answered better than I could.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
How can you say "for a team about to drop into league 1" ? Duffy was signed in Aug which is basically the beginning of the season. He was first choice at Blackburn in the Championship and has clocked up quite a few appearances.

Goldson is 3rd choice atm, hardly played and came from a league 2 side that was just promoted. 3 million is absolute tops in my books.

We need 4 CBs, so if we sell Goldson, we then need to buy two more. Why would we accept £3M, when to replace him would probably cost a lot more.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
We need 4 CBs, so if we sell Goldson, we then need to buy two more. Why would we accept £3M, when to replace him would probably cost a lot more.

If i was a buying club i would never part with 5 million for a player with a serious medical condition abet sorted and who hasn't hardly played in the last 12 months.

Better value elsewhere. Centre backs are in abundance.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If i was a buying club i would never part with 5 million for a player with a serious medical condition abet sorted and who hasn't hardly played in the last 12 months.

Better value elsewhere. Centre backs are in abundance.

But this isn't about what 'a buying club' would wish to part with. It is about at what figure we would prepared to listen to offers.

Because we neither need, nor presumably want, to sell him, they'd have to offer significantly MORE than he is worth, or we simply don't need to consider it.

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
Didnt we only pay £600k for him in which case any sale would be a massive profit that apparently Shrewsbury will also benefit from.

It's only a profit if you can replace him for £600k,best of luck trying to get a PL ready centre half for that price.Any replacement would cost at least the fee you get and probably a lot more.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It's only a profit if you can replace him for £600k,best of luck trying to get a PL ready centre half for that price.Any replacement would cost at least the fee you get and probably a lot more.

Wouldnt Shrewsbury argue that even selling him for £1.2 m is a £600k profit. What we had to pay to replace him is immaterial to them and their sell on clause and percentage.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Anything less than £8 mill is a waste of time. Bloom should tell Rangers to f**k off and stay f**ked off, they don't have any players remotely Prem standard and will get trounced by Celtic for at least 2 more years.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Wouldnt Shrewsbury argue that even selling him for £1.2 m is a £600k profit. What we had to pay to replace him is immaterial to them and their sell on clause and percentage.

And why would we worry about what Shrewsbury want or think?

Rangers can pay what we want (which for me is £5m+ easily) or they can f*ck off. If Swansea think we should sell Goldson or not makes absolutely zero difference to us.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I’ve no worries about his abilities as a PL defender, he’d slot straight in if either Dunk or Duffy were missing. We’d be daft to sell him, especially as we’re a defender down having released Uwe.

It would need a huge bid to even be a consideration, but the interest might bag Connor a new contract.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here