Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] *** The Official Match Day Thread: England v Panama ***

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Blimey.

Ok, it was only Panama, but how many times have we struggled to beat weaker teams? Even in qualification matches we don't usually put teams to the sword like that.

It was great stuff. 100 mph from the off and Panama didn't know what had hit them till they were 5-0 down and it was time for oranges and a change of ends.

As the game kicked off, Danny Murphy said, "We will have to be prepared to be patient here..." only to see England get on the front foot from the 1st whistle and systematically demolish a bunch of Carlos Kick-a-balls within 36 minutes. This "being patient" bollocks and stroking the ball around with no bite or end product is what has done for us in the past. Bollocks to being patient - hit them hard and fast and first.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
At the cricket this afternoon so just watched it on iPlayer, Jesus what a dirty bunch of cloggers Panama were, amazed there were no Red Cards.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
As great fun as it was, it does remind me of that famous night when Germany were humbled 5-1 by England in a qualifier. The press were basically saying the next 2 world cups were almost guaranteed. In reality, England went out early, and Germany made it to yet another final.
As for the game, 4 goals came from set pieces, 1 from a complete fluke, and a worldy by Lingard. I didn't see incredible world class moves by England, and the opposition were poor.

But I hope i'm completely wrong when the knock out stage starts.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Panama were awful. The tempo of the game was very slow. England just had to go through the motions it was that easy.. The 2nd half was like watching cricket. Looking forward to the Belgium game. That's going to be a truer test and more fun to watch.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
One less yellow card i think.

That's interesting so if England v Belgium is a draw who ever has the most yellow cards is second.

Given some of the shock results I can see a laughable scenario, where finishing 2nd could potentially mean avoiding a big gun until the semis.

Belgium trying to draw, England wanting to lose. Joe Hart playing up front & Lingard in goal.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
That's interesting so if England v Belgium is a draw who ever has the most yellow cards is second.

Given some of the shock results I can see a laughable scenario, where finishing 2nd could potentially mean avoiding a big gun until the semis.

Belgium trying to draw, England wanting to lose. Joe Hart playing up front & Lingard in goal.

Yes it has ended up in a strange situation. There is a lot to be said for momentum and confidence though.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
i still think our defence will be found out in the next few games and when playing the bigger teams.

Agree. Young was poor again and the central 3 don’t look comfortable. We’ll have to score a lot of goals to get to the latter stages I think, or revert to a back four against better teams?
We need Belgium to put out their best side to see how we cope - unfortunately looks like they may rest some of their big guns.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Yes it has ended up in a strange situation. There is a lot to be said for momentum and confidence though.

I think pick the guys who haven't played yet. Or at least rest the best players. A nice break before the big games.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Not really bothered as I can't remember the last time we were in this position not needing a result in the last game. Maybe swap the formation about to see how that goes

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
My only target for this World Cup was to get out of the group stage and show signs of progress for the future. Job done already it seems.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
As great fun as it was, it does remind me of that famous night when Germany were humbled 5-1 by England in a qualifier. The press were basically saying the next 2 world cups were almost guaranteed. In reality, England went out early, and Germany made it to yet another final.
As for the game, 4 goals came from set pieces, 1 from a complete fluke, and a worldy by Lingard. I didn't see incredible world class moves by England, and the opposition were poor.

But I hope i'm completely wrong when the knock out stage starts.

hahaha

You must be hating England looking decent all of sudden.

Don't worry , I'm sure we will be shit again soon and everyone can enjoy the misery again.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
My only target for this World Cup was to get out of the group stage and show signs of progress for the future. Job done already it seems.

Same here .

Just wanted us to have a go and show a bit.

If it all goes absolutely tits from here then no one can take away winning the first 2 world cup games and the last 2 weeks of optimism.

All good

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Panama were awful. The tempo of the game was very slow. England just had to go through the motions it was that easy.. The 2nd half was like watching cricket. Looking forward to the Belgium game. That's going to be a truer test and more fun to watch.

It was 31C so of course they wanted to conserve energy. Once England had control of the game, passing it around just wound down the time. It was very draining, which was why we conceded a goal near the end.
The conditions should have suited Panama a lot more than us.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
It was 31C so of course they wanted to conserve energy. Once England had control of the game, passing it around just wound down the time. It was very draining, which was why we conceded a goal near the end.
The conditions should have suited Panama a lot more than us.

Indeed. I couldn't believe the attitude of some people at work who were moaning about the second half saying we shouldn't have eased off and we should have 'gone for it'. Why? The game was won; FIFA weren't going to give us the World Cup if we'd scored another five goals in the second half and 'going for it' would have unnecessarily exhausted the players (we've got one day less to recover than Belgium as it is). Plus of course there was the risk of injury: either fatigue-related or more likely deliberately inflicted by the increasingly desperate Panamanians. That was good tournament management from England

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here