Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Loyalty !

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
There is no such thing as loyalty in football. Personally, I've supported 53 teams so far and I'm sure that most people on here are similar. Come on 'The Seagulls!'

Lol.

Maybe we can auction you off to the highest bidder? We won't accept bids from Palace, as we don't want 2p in the pound.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
They are great and all worked very hard for the Albion, but none of those are players or managers.

Nor are they “just” fans, per your quote:
The only loyal people in football are the fans.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I think Rowett's experience at Birmingham has probably given him a pretty clear view of 'loyalty' in football these days.

And I understand the earlier point about fans' irrational ire for players who want to leave, but since when as football support been about rational, logical thinking? If fans see a player leaving for a rival in a higher division, say, there are plenty who'd understand the reasoning behind it but we don't have to bloody like it.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Bang on! If you’re a professional footballer or manager it’s a career, or a job, the same as any other form of employment. If you’re good at whatever profession you’re in and you get head hunted by a prospective employer, with better prospects and more pay, no one would bat an eyelid. It would be seen as career progression. Use the same scenario in football and the knives are out, and accusations of greed and disloyalty are thrown in your face.

It, too, amazes me how blinkered some fans are to players wishing to move on to (in their view) a club which offers more opportunities.

This comparison doesn’t really work though when all you hear from the manager fraternity is “Managers don’t get given enough time”. They want loyalty from their chairman, yet aren’t prepared to give any back in return.

Rowett needs to be careful here. Countless managers, when their stock is high, have jumped into bed with another club and it has backfired tremendously.

Expectations at Stoke for an instant return to the Premier League will be high. A bad start to the season and it could be curtains for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
There is no word just in my post. Your second sentence is what I posted. I don't see what you're getting at.

My point is that in your original post you said “that the only loyal people in football are the fans” and I was trying to highlight that whilst I don’t disagree with you there are also some loyal football people atl our own football club, and provided a few examples. So I suppose I’m saying that there are loyal people in football other than fans.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
My point is that in your original post you said “that the only loyal people in football are the fans” and I was trying to highlight that whilst I don’t disagree with you there are also some loyal football people atl our own football club, and provided a few examples. So I suppose I’m saying that there are loyal people in football other than fans.

I would say those three people are fans as well as employees. I know Sally's husband is a Newcastle fan, but Sally definitely isn't.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
The only thing Rowett would be guaranteed at Derby is the sack

Stoke apart from this year stick with managers a lot longer than Derby have over last few years

That and double the money may have something to do with it

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He was just a lazy bloke who wasn't really up for a proper challenge, in my opinion.

Le Tissier is from Guernsey and is very close to his family, so Southampton meant he could stay close to them -direct flights- whilst getting Prem football.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
This comparison doesn’t really work though when all you hear from the manager fraternity is “Managers don’t get given enough time”. They want loyalty from their chairman, yet aren’t prepared to give any back in return.

Rowett needs to be careful here. Countless managers, when their stock is high, have jumped into bed with another club and it has backfired tremendously.

Expectations at Stoke for an instant return to the Premier League will be high. A bad start to the season and it could be curtains for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that's the most surprising perception, that is stock is high. Amongst Derby fans, it's almost certainly as low as its been - That's not to say he doesn't have his supporters - Obv we went on a shocking run earlier in the year and he didn't have any answers, (back to back thrashings by the divisions bottom team was a particular gem) and then our fairly pathetic play off exit. A rumour was posted once Lambert had gone and mostly got laughed at as most couldn't believe someone was after him at this point....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here