Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Less Hectic Not Busy

Shippers

Jan 12, 2016
That's one area i don't expect to strengthen are full backs.

This is the area of concern for myself, I see it as our weakest position on match days and would love the club to bring in some quality full backs.
I think it would release our wingers to attack a little more.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
This is the area of concern for myself, I see it as our weakest position on match days and would love the club to bring in some quality full backs.

It worries me also but we have two right backs and two left backs. Giving Bruno and Bong new deals i don't expect new signings here. Maybe i'm wrong but i doubt it.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The last time I questioned this the reply I got was 'I expect CH to play 4-4-2 more next season'.

So this time I'm going to ask you, in the hope of getting a reply that actually makes sense.

'Where is the goal scoring midfielder going to play?'
'Who is going to be dropped for this player?'.

So as not to get another bollox answer, I'll remind you we are discussing a manager who looked at Davy Propper, Holland's goal scoring number 10, and thought - 'holding midfielder'.

I refer to you to my prior reply.

How many goals have we scored this season? How many have come from midfield? I would like a goalscoring midfielder to play in midfield - how about that?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

How many goals have we scored this season? How many have come from midfield? I would like a goalscoring midfielder to play in midfield - how about that?

We play with two midfielders who sit back. In other words you want to change the shape of the team.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I don't expect full backs either.

centre half, centre mid, winger and striker. that's where the money will be spent.

then maybe a loan or 2.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No. We can't replace the whole team, so obviously we have to prioritise where we spend our money. Full back just isn't a priority.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

It worries me also but we have two right backs and two left backs. Giving Bruno and Bong new deals i don't expect new signings here. Maybe i'm wrong but i doubt it.

I agree with both of you. I worry about the full-backs, but only against the best teams, BUT, as they club have given Bruno and Bong new deals, plus we'll still have Suttner and Schelotto, the club (who know better) have confidence in them.

And to chip in on the 'goal-scoring' midfielder subject, we've been very lucky to be able to cover 3 positions with 4 players this season (Gross, Propper, Stephens and Kayal) and we never had periods with 2 or more of these out together, but I'd suggest we need 2 more players in that group. These 2 players need to have more pace, and more of a goal-scoring threat from deep (other than Gross). And how do we fit them into our team? Well, they have to be as good or better than what we have, so they either replace (sacrilege I know) the current players as 1st choice OR they alternate, perhaps starting from the bench until bedded in, like Izzy.

Think of it this way - when Chris makes his usual 60-70 min midfield substitution, imagine having someone like Nick Powell* on the bench to come on and offer MORE attacking threat rather than simply defending what we have. (*Or someone else just as exciting).

We probably won't be as fortunate with injuries this season, and that's when we'll need good cover in depth.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
OK - so how many goals have we scored and how many were scored by the team outside of Murray, Gross and Izquierdo? You have two central midfielders who have not scored a goal between them. Guess I'm not allowed to say anything bad about the team because we've stayed up and everything is wonderful.

Oh well Gross scores goals so that's ok then. We need more from somewhere....

You are quite right of course....but its valid to question who we are going to drop...if you want some one else in the middle of the park, out of the two who would you drop?

mikebha1963

May 13, 2014
Key here is QUALITY. Imagine we will get in 4-5 quality PL players that will obviously cost Big money, however it will raise bar of entire squad..
Quite agree, we need three or four players in who are better than we already have. We have to move forward. We were exellent this year but how many of those players will or can attain that level again. Bruno is my favourite player so intelligent but at 38 it will be hard for him. We need more top quality if we can get our hands on them.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Come on you've been asked enough times already, who are you dropping?
Or, as would seem the most logical response to your replies so far:-

Who are you replacing Hughton with?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We need more (goals) from somewhere....

Here's a thing, how about:-

- More than 1 goal scoring centre forward.
- and/or the centre backs not taking 'away' to a new level by implementing it in the opposition box as well as their own.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
top goalscorer and a top goalscoring midfielder possibly lb & rb .....i reckon 4 in and kayak stays although i think he will be on the fringe next year ...maybe a swap for redmond if saints drop.....is that big lump still at swansea ....the ex citeh forward...think chris and tony may look to plunder the relegated clubs for their best players ...charlie adam can still turn in a shift ....if htfc go down then the dane who takes their free kicks.....excellent delivery of the ball

You were doing so well until you mentioned Charlie Adam

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Come on you've been asked enough times already, who are you dropping?
Or, as would seem the most logical response to your replies so far:-

Who are you replacing Hughton with?

Players do get replaced, its the way it goes. We were happy with Goldson, but he brought in Duffy. We were happy with Stockdale, but he brought in Ryan, we thought March would be great in this league, but he went and got Izquierdo. Its continual incremental improvement, and one day we'll possibly incrementally improve the manager as well.

Of course its been 4 (?) years since we sold a player we didn't want to (Ulloa), and we've continuously improved the team since then. That will change at some point when one of our stars gets plucked

I think the answer will be Dale Stephens, btw

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Players do get replaced, its the way it goes. We were happy with Goldson, but he brought in Duffy. We were happy with Stockdale, but he brought in Ryan, we thought March would be great in this league, but he went and got Izquierdo. Its continual incremental improvement, and one day we'll possibly incrementally improve the manager as well.

Of course its been 4 (?) years since we sold a player we didn't want to (Ulloa), and we've continuously improved the team since then. That will change at some point when one of our stars gets plucked

You were doing so well until you mentioned Dale Stephens.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

So you're another who wants the club to replace Hughton.
Strange.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
So you're another who wants the club to replace Hughton.
Strange.

Your default response seems to be that we should be replacing Hughton because of our belief that we need to score more goals.

I think Chris knows this as well surprisingly - hence I'm quite comfortable him staying.......

Stephens probably btw if you are so desperate to know - but it could be Propper............

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Your default response seems to be that we should be replacing Hughton because of our belief that we need to score more goals.

I think Chris knows this as well surprisingly - hence I'm quite comfortable him staying.......

Stephens probably btw if you are so desperate to know - but it could be Propper............
It's the default response, because since he arrived CH has never played a goal scoring 'box to box' midfielder.

The 2 in midfield's primary role has been to break up opposition attacks, retain the ball and/or get the ball out wide, quickly.

If CH were to drop either Stephens or Propper they would be replaced by a player who, like them, would first and foremost NEVER be behind the ball when the opposition are attacking, no matter how quick the break is.

You can't have it both ways.

You can't have a new 'attacking goal scoring midfielder' (as somehow Gross doesn't perform that role) and Chris Hughton.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
We play with two midfielders who sit back. In other words you want to change the shape of the team.

This is the key point, which people seem to ignore.

If Propper had been given more of an advanced role then he would've got goals over the course of a season, he's proved this in international matches. The only way our CMs are going to chip in is by regularly scoring 30 yarders.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here