Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC's Alan Green not going to the World Cup

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Yes. We should not enter the World Cup in Qatar or Russia. These places do not deserve the kudos attached to hosting major tournaments such as this.

Disagree, these countries handed over their brown envelopes to FIFA in good faith. It's what Sepp would have wanted.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If it means no Alan Green, that's a positive. The most miserable man on radio by a country mile. I'd be glad to never hear his voice again.

Since he has been subjected to dogs abuse on this thread, I feel inclined to respond.

Radio commentators, from Brian Butler et al onward, were dull. DULL. 'Billy Bremner, the chirpy chappy' etc. FFS! AG caught my attention when commentating on a game; 'this is like watching paint dry' he said. What? A radio commentator speaking the truth? After that I was always captivated by his commentary. The man does not give a shit about promoting the franchise. He says it how he sees it. Sometimes he has been wrong. So what? He is the first commentator to actually say what we can all see with our eyes. As for his Liverpool bias, I haven't seen it. He also stood up to the red nosed bully, Fergy. Hats off to him, I say. His refusal to go to Russia is a personal thing. But if it starts people thinking, then good on him.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Since he has been subjected to dogs abuse on this thread, I feel inclined to respond.

Radio commentators, from Brian Butler et al onward, were dull. DULL. 'Billy Bremner, the chirpy chappy' etc. FFS! AG caught my attention when commentating on a game; 'this is like watching paint dry' he said. What? A radio commentator speaking the truth? After that I was always captivated by his commentary. The man does not give a shit about promoting the franchise. He says it how he sees it. Sometimes he has been wrong. So what? He is the first commentator to actually say what we can all see with our eyes. As for his Liverpool bias, I haven't seen it. He also stood up to the red nosed bully, Fergy. Hats off to him, I say. His refusal to go to Russia is a personal thing. But if it starts people thinking, then good on him.

He's a narcissic ****.

He doesn't speak the truth, he speaks opinionated drivel. Whining about how long it takes to get from his Macclesfield home is just that, whining. He doesn't have to deal with the problems fans have every week with changes to kick off times resulting in lost time at work, train tickets becoming invalid, wanky stewards and so on.

Without giving too many state secrets from my occasional jaunts at the Beeb most of his co-commentators can't stand him either.

In a job which is ultimately pretty easy and which many of us would love, he is the only radio commentator so vain that he brought out an autobiography because he thinks his opinion is so important people want to read it.

As for his decision not to go to Russia, he's again falling into the trap that he's the story.

Can't stand the odious toad (I suspect you've picked up this vibe already though!)

Sent from Konnie Huq's lingerie drawer.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Alan green does a job that plenty of football fans, at least of the armchair kind, can only dream of. He then seems to spend his entire career moaning about it. He's one of the most miserable cynical dullards I've ever had the misfortune to listen to.

All a matter of opinion of course, but that's mine.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He's a narcissic ****.

He doesn't speak the truth, he speaks opinionated drivel. Whining about how long it takes to get from his Macclesfield home is just that, whining. He doesn't have to deal with the problems fans have every week with changes to kick off times resulting in lost time at work, train tickets becoming invalid, wanky stewards and so on.

Without giving too many state secrets from my occasional jaunts at the Beeb most of his co-commentators can't stand him either.

In a job which is ultimately pretty easy and which many of us would love, he is the only radio commentator so vain that he brought out an autobiography because he thinks his opinion is so important people want to read it.

As for his decision not to go to Russia, he's again falling into the trap that he's the story.

Can't stand the odious toad (I suspect you've picked up this vibe already though!)

:needpics:

If he is a 'bad person' then I need details. Most of the bands I like contain persons of dubious antecedents. Yes, in some cases this may be enough for me to stop listening. In AG's case, I have heard nothing bad about him. He ceratinly has a good face for radio, and maybe he does get a bit Shirley Bassey when 'on tour'. But I like Shirley Bassey, anyway, even still ('Champagne!' :lolol:). All I can judge AG on is his commentray and that, in my view, is trail blazing.

Anyway, El Pres, perhaps I should ask you to prove that you are 'whiter than white' in all departments before I consider whether to take any notice of your comments . . . (I mean that contextually, not literally, obviously :wave::cheers:)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Anyway, El Pres, perhaps I should ask you to prove that you are 'whiter than white' in all departments before I consider whether to take any notice of your comments . . . (I mean that contextually, not literally, obviously :wave::cheers:)

Those that know me, know that I am a 'wrong un'.

Won't go into full details, but I'm teetotal, don't take any drugs, gambling is restricted usually to a five on the National each year, wasn't a womaniser or into violence, was head altar boy and went to church every week until my father died, but I went to Amsterdam on a rugby club tour 30 years ago, and ever since I have been known as 'The Baron'.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'm not disagreeing at all. It would put fans at risk - but at their own PERSONAL risk. The only risks that the FA's risk assessment will look at are 1. The FA being legally culpable 2. the FA losing moey 3. The FA's reutation being damaged (further).

It would however have most impact with FIFA, less revenue form one of the biggest ticket sellers.

I imagine sponsors won't want to be seen advertising on empty grounds either.

If no teams allowed fans to go there and in 2022 that would send a pretty big message

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
He's a narcissic ****.

Yet to ever actually see him in Macclesfield ! For what it is worth always liked Mike Ingham.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Not to be confused with Alan Green, who I sat next to at school. He went on to open the batting for Sussex CCC for a short period of time, and often for short periods of time, in the 1980's.
He's also not going to The World Cup.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I am a fan of Alan Green. Yes he can be a bit whatsit sometimes, but when a player falls over he calls it that way. I enjoy his commentaries. Has Graeme La Saux said anything about going yet? I wonder if the team at the BBC have had any 'discussions' amongst themselves. A 'one out all out' scenario.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not to be confused with Alan Green, who I sat next to at school. He went on to open the batting for Sussex CCC for a short period of time, and often for short periods of time, in the 1980's.
He's also not going to The World Cup.

And not to be confused with the Allan Green who was the Director of Public Prosecutions ... until he resigned after being caught kerb-crawling. He's not going to Russia either

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here