Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Attack, attack, attack, attack, attack..."

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
...and could you, in your heart of hearts, honestly say that we deserved anything more than a draw out of that shambolic display? We are past masters at snatching dull, lifeless draws from the jaws of awaiting victory.

Shambolic?

This is so far off beam as being just silly. The one thing that can be clearly state about last night was the we were organised, an very difficult to breakdown.

Whether we deserved more or less from the game is pointless, as you don't gain points on what you deserve.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
People don't spend three hours in traffic jams and £20 on match tickets for sensible, soporific pragmatism. We want to be entertained, or at least not to have our evening reduced to waiting for the moment the equaliser happens.

"If you want entertainment go and watch clowns" - Alan Durban. When Mike Bailey adopted that philosophy here most of our fans sodded off to watch clowns, or at least 'not football'. We may have finished 13th one season but the drop in numbers was the beginning of the gory years.

That season we finished 13th, Bailey had got us as high as 5th at one stage.
The reason we eventually slipped to 13th was that MB realised he was being undermined and was hurt and disheartened by the lack of support from within. Rumours started circulating that the board were unhappy with him and were taking notice of the fans turning against his brand of football and this transmitted itself to manager and players alike. It was a poor decision by Bamber and we never recovered from it. Fans are always right. Look how Curbishley was hounded out of Charlton, after a number of years of top flight stability. Apparently, the fans didn't think he was capable of taking them to the next level!!! Well, they found their level after he left.
Be careful what you wish for.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
And look where the change in tactics got us under Mike Bailey, he was sacked due to poor results, and we got the clown in, and the downward spiral was completed. Left Mike Bailey to manage his way, and the last 46 years could have been completely different

46 Years? That would have included the wonderful Peter Ward years and our rise under Alan Mullary.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Was this second-half chant from Albion fans, the first bit of dissent towards Hughton's tactics?

...and could you, in your heart of hearts, honestly say that we deserved anything more than a draw out of that shambolic display? We are past masters at snatching dull, lifeless draws from the jaws of awaiting victory.

Shambolic?

This is so far off beam as being just silly. The one thing that can be clearly state about last night was the we were organised, an very difficult to breakdown.

Whether we deserved more or less from the game is pointless, as you don't gain points on what you deserve.

Yes very well organised as the ball came crashing back off our cross bar after Ryan had received a shambolic back pass and dealt with it like a hot potato. :lolol:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Shambolic?

Ok. Shambolic was too harsh. I am just venting my frustration at watching us sit back against a very ordinary side, devoid of confidence and not making more of an effort to try and win the game. I understand that it was first and foremost " a must not lose game " but our lack of ambition smacked again of paying too much respect to the opposition. After every game, CH bigs up the opposition..." we were playing a good side today, full of good players " etc. Well try telling that to Saints fans. They are convinced they are going down and are not good enough.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Was this second-half chant from Albion fans, the first bit of dissent towards Hughton's tactics?

Was oftern a chant at the Goldstone late second half attack...attack .....attack attack attack always seemed to galvanise the team then to well attack

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath

I remember poor old Mike Bailey who was a bit boring but he got the seagulls to highest postion in the old First division and sacked.
We may have to play this way for while as we develope better players.
Keep the faith first objective is to be in the Premership next season.
However I don't won't to be in the premership in Five Years time if we become a boring Stoke.
Let's beat The Hammers on Saturday for a double and enjoy the FA cup.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It started on about 88mins when Southampton looked tired, the game stretched, Ulloa was having an impact, and we did look the more threatening, briefly. I think it was more the fans appealing to the players to give it one last go. We got a corner, March duly stuck it straight into the keepers gloves.

I don't mind backs to the wall defending, played a few games myself scoring early, and absolutely no tactical instruction from our manager, we ended up defending for 75mins, just sort of happens, other team needs to score, who've got something to defend. Loved a successful rear guard action - we just need to defend better!

Tactically Chris needs to stop us scoring too early. :thumbsup:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Ive written it on another thread...but.. no league goals from open play away from home since November 4th at Swansea.

Unfortunately this is the reality, we simply do not have the midfield, attack (even now imho), confidence and, as a partial consequence, the tactics to survive.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
There is clearly a problem with our tactics and I am beginning to waiver in my support of Chris a bit, who's comments in post match interviews proves that he was obviously watching another match and not the one unfolding in front of him.
I understand that supporters want to win every game 10 - 0, but they can't all be wrong in their observations and conclusions.
Shutting up shop after 14mins, playing naturally attacking players as defenders, not fighting for the ball once losing possession, late and negative substitutions, the list goes on.
I used to work with a tradesman once who in everyone's opinion did things arse about face and the most difficult way possible.
When trying to give advice, to make his life easier, everyone was met with the same response, 'this is how I've always done it' and nothing changed.
Rather than heeding advice or constructive comments he treated the remarks as criticism and dug his heals in deeper.
Chris seems a bit like this to be honest, which is all well and good, but there is a hell of a lot at stake.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No the musings of some idiots who think they know more about coaching and managing a premier league team then CH. They completely overlooked the double change at half time by Southampton which improved them going forward. But seem content that we abandon defending and end up losing 2-5 so they can say, well we gave it a go, and wasn't it entertaining.

An away point which moves us up to 15th with a home game to come on Saturday.

I would be more worried if I was a Southampton fan, of their 13 games remaining 8 are away from home, and this includes a sequence of four away in a row where points will be hard to come by.

Brilliant post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
It reminds me of the two guys running away from a lion one says to the other do you think we can outrun the lion to which the reply is no but I only need to outrun you

Last night we won a point as did the three teams directly below us our goal differance is substantially better in my option CH knows what he's doing better than a bunch of sofa surfers and school kids

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He couldn't fault our performance, that tells you enough, were screwed.
the man at the helm can't see the problem.

Let's not forget our most creative players were responsible for their goal. March gave away a silly free kick having been beaten for about the 50th time and Izquierdo was in the thick of the defensive cock up from the resulting set piece.

These players should be setting up our goals, not theirs.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It started on about 88mins when Southampton looked tired, the game stretched, Ulloa was having an impact, and we did look the more threatening, briefly. I think it was more the fans appealing to the players to give it one last go. We got a corner, March duly stuck it straight into the keepers gloves.

I don't mind backs to the wall defending, played a few games myself scoring early, and absolutely no tactical instruction from our manager, we ended up defending for 75mins, just sort of happens, other team needs to score, who've got something to defend. Loved a successful rear guard action - we just need to defend better!

Tactically Chris needs to stop us scoring too early. :thumbsup:

Great corner that, wasn't it. All the big men up for one last effort. Cmon Solly, give them a quality ball to attack. Ah....no.....a little, high, misplaced, gentle chip, that by-passed everybody and was comfortably caught by an unchallenged keeper. Cue...groan and head for the exit.
p.s Been very impressed with the complete and utter lack of improvement in Solly's ability to cross the ball or take corners or take free kicks, this season. Its an art form to get it wrong as many times as Solly does. Overhit, underhit, hitting the first man or way out of play, it just all comes so easily to Solly.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Of more concern to me was the number of unforced errors. On occasions we looked like a team that didn’t know each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
No the musings of some idiots who think they know more about coaching and managing a premier league team then CH. They completely overlooked the double change at half time by Southampton which improved them going forward. But seem content that we abandon defending and end up losing 2-5 so they can say, well we gave it a go, and wasn't it entertaining.

An away point which moves us up to 15th with a home game to come on Saturday.

I would be more worried if I was a Southampton fan, of their 13 games remaining 8 are away from home, and this includes a sequence of four away in a row where points will be hard to come by.

I'm broadly with this but my frustration comes from recognising exactly that the double change at half-time was effective in that it pushed us back a bit and made us defend deeper. Our response, as usual, was to sit back and hope they don't score while our midfield get more and more tired, making more and more mistakes, until eventually we get undone by luck or quality. We needed to change something, we probably all have our view on what that was, but doing nothing has resulted in 1 point when we might have had 3.

I'm still happy with a point and would be more worried if I supported Saints but three clubs go down, not one.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He couldn't fault our performance, that tells you enough, were screwed.
the man at the helm can't see the problem.

We started well, should have scored after 45secs. Really strong first 20mins. BUT, and this isn't tactical, Saints started to come at us, we didn't retreat as such, we failed to retain possession (again). We got in good positions but our quality is lacking sometimes. Shouldn't confuse tactics with player's performance and the opposition pressure.

Many PL sides earn 3 points through defending for their lives, see Swansea v Liverpool - we have to learn that you cannot make the mistakes that lead to set pieces.

I'm not annoyed about our tactics, I'm annoyed we gave away free kicks when we didn't need to, and man for man didn't defend as well as we should have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here