Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The football cow

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The huge tv money seems to mainly disappear into players wages and maybe a handful of top clubs. It seems possible that if the tv money dropped a bit we would still have the same Premier league with the same players but lower wages and transfer fees.

The next round of tv rights would be a great opportunity for the PL to say....' We will set the fixture schedule at the beginning of the year. We'll schedule some Friday games, some early and late Saturday games, and some Sunday and Monday games. But the schedule will not be changed at short notice to satisfy what you think tv audiences would prefer. '.

This would be a great thing for ordinary fans who will be able to book travel and plan their lives more than a few weeks before gametime. The tv companies will still pay mega billions and if it is a billion less than they would pay with the ability to set game times then that would not really make any difference to 95% of people who have a stake in how football is run.

Or am I missing something.......

They probably wait to try to find games with a lot of interest which may not be so obvious at the start of the season, Leicesters title winning season for example, meaning they would have been selected for tv far less under your system than if its decided as the season progressed.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
albionfan37 said:
Personally I can’t wait for the money to dry up hopefully then the football will go back to the people

It's a noble ambition, but how are they going to get that cow back into the bottle?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Which is why i was talking about clubs in my first post, saying the gap in income between the 2 different divisions is probably the biggest problem when it comes to wages etc, as clubs pay over the odds to to try stay up (or get promoted in the first place) to keep that high income coming in.

If there was less of a financial disparity between them, then the pressure to be in the top flight wouldn't be as great financially, and therefore there would be less of a need to inflate wages to try to stay there or to gamble on promotion.
Sure that all makes sense, but the point still stands that top footballers get paid shed loads, as do top actors and musicians.

Personally I think the amount of money those at the top get is obscene, but then that's the same as other top sportsmen/women, and actors and musicians, so I don't see why football should be singled out so often.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Genuine question, what is the rate of pay for a top PL played as compared with a top Tennis, golf, or F1 player/ driver?

I think the issue is not with what the top stars earn but how an average premier league player in the more established premier league clubs can earn £70-£100 k per WEEK!
That is far more than tennis, golfers earn (You cannot compare F1 as there are only a few of them. What does a touring car or rally driver earn)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That's what you think they should get?
It's quite out of place with others in the entertainment industry, like actors, musicians, and even presenters. And it takes no account for the shorter career than the other examples I've given.

My view was that there should have been a 20k cap. That's £1m a year- before other endorsements.

Too late now.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My view was that there should have been a 20k cap. That's £1m a year- before other endorsements.
So the top players would get less than Gary Linekar, who just talks about the football, and loads less than the likes on Thierry Henry. Doesn't seem right to me.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Just an average guess, without working out the figures properly, where [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] when you need him.

You rang M'Lud?

Premier League Average Wage 2017.JPG

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
I think it’s great that these young lads can come from nothing and strike it rich from being good with a ball. Ive met stinking rich people in my time who have inherited vast wealth and look down on everyone else. Personally these are the people I resent.

That doesn’t mean I agree with it because I hate what money has done to football in terms of corporate ambition and profit before supporters.
Give up your Sky Sports for a start. I did years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Yes. It was so much better in the old days. Shit pitches, decrepit dangerous stadia, fans kicking the crap out of each other. I hate modern football.

Nobody said anything about that did they?? Just that a lack of money would even out the playing field a bit and make the games as they should be and not scared to attack from fear of a whalloping and losing out heavily financially

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Nobody said anything about that did they?? Just that a lack of money would even out the playing field a bit and make the games as they should be and not scared to attack from fear of a whalloping and losing out heavily financially

So you do want the money that has brought all those improvements and many of the best players in the world to this country over the past 20 years - but you also don't want the money?

The playing field was never level - certainly not as long as I've been watching football anyway (back to the late 1970s). The vast amounts being spent at the very top by the clubs that really can't be caught are funded from the owners, not TV rights, so it's hard to see realistically how that can be changed.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
So the top players would get less than Gary Linekar, who just talks about the football, and loads less than the likes on Thierry Henry. Doesn't seem right to me.

That's a completely different issue, but it does need addressing separately. The whole gravy train needs derailing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's a completely different issue, but it does need addressing separately. The whole gravy train needs derailing.
So free market the world over, with the top people getting paid millions, whatever the market dictates, except for footballers, who should get less. Nah.

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
To be honest the so called riches of the Premier League is a mere sideshow to the real inequality in the UK concerning wealth where the richest 1% own almost 24% of the countries wealth and the top 5% own 44%! And on top of that the richest are getting wealthier where the rest of us mere mortals are mostly just about keeping our heads above water. That's where the real debate should be and about exactly how should wealth be more evenly shared!

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
So free market the world over, with the top people getting paid millions, whatever the market dictates, except for footballers, who should get less. Nah.
Do film studios go bust because they have over spent? I see what you are saying but are you missing this vital point?
Shouldn't club's be living within their means so when there are hard times again the club will still exist for many more generations?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Do film studios go bust because they have over spent? I see what you are saying but are you missing this vital point?
Shouldn't club's be living within their means so when there are hard times again the club will still exist for many more generations?
That doesn't seem to have been the point of this thread. Hartlepool are currently in danger of going bust, and that wouldn't have been helped by a limit of £20k a week wages. The Championship clubs spending beyond their means is mostly wealthy people speculating to accumulate. If you want to protect clubs from owners who like to take risks, other means are available (like a stronger FFP model for example).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here