Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jamie Murphy

mattjl15

Mar 18, 2016
Christ on a bike. Let me put he question back to you, what the **** have you been watching?

I've very rarely contributed to bitching threads but what really gets my goat are people who don't just dismiss the criticism (which is fair enough), but in turn have a pop at a few more.

Murphy does not take players on, has not used his pace effectively to pass fullbacks and I can't even remember the last time he put in a cross. He is a good player but let's not beat around the bush, he has been absolutely woeful the last 2 games especially when you consider, in our current setup, he is one of our outlets and attacking options. Only Solly has managed to put any kind of fear into opposition defenders other than Knocky once he came on. The only thing you can say about Murphy with any degree of certainty over 90mins, is that he will cut in at some point and have a shot from 20 yards. He also gave the ball away more times on Saturday than your pick of the bunch Stephens by the way.

It's curious you feel it's ok to judge our championship players but not our new signings. Which of them have supposedly played at a higher level already? Sure there's settling in time, but our retained players have largely never played at this level and need as much time to adjust as the incomings.

Scapegoating players does my ****ing head in, I guess I should follow suit and deflect your criticism of Duffy/Stephens and have a pop at Bruno, who looked comfortable against city but questionable on Saturday. Woeful player is Bruno, needs replacing.

I think you've completely missed the point I was trying to make - which is that we shouldn't be slagging off any of our players after 2 games. But if you are going to, I was curious as to why Murphy has become this weeks scapegoat. I'll add in my 2nd response from above.

For the most part - Duffy was solid. And in an attacking sense, he had 3 great opportunities against City.

He has also made several errors, none of which have been punished. So far.

I think he is going to need to be much more aware of his positioning, as he doesn't possess the pace of Dunk to help him out.

Just look at Torres goal for Atletico (yes a friendly - although Ryan was being torn into before the league had started).

The point is - there are certainly more deserving players of a thread about their ability to play in the Prem and remain in our squad.

You'll notice, that for all the players I have named. I haven't started a thread - and I haven't posted on any other player threads.

Why?

Because we're 2 games into the season, we still have transfer business to do and honestly, you can't judge this league until 10 games have been played.

I mean, jesus - Hull were 3rd after 2 games. About 4 weeks later, Phelan was sacked because they entered free-fall.

And - someone else who does get what I am trying (and maybe failing) to get at - has summarised well here:

I think the point being made was that we could all identify errors/indifferent performances by any number of players including ones usually immune from such criticism, whether it be Duffy, Stephens or others.It's been a tough start but there are certain players who have certain fans on their back from the off. Before deciding whether a player can cut it in the Premier League let's give the team a chance to come together rather than starting a thread which basically says 'I never rated Murphy and look how right I am in the two games against title favourites and previous league champions.' Seems like a particularly odd thing to do given Murphy has had two decent games. The alternative is to continue this angry trashing of our players but it's not a great look.

Given the more vociferous attacks on Murphy from other posters - I find it's interested you've decided to lose it with me. But hey ho.

And - for me. Think Bruno has looked comfortable in both games. Would not think he's had a good 4-5 years on any other player he's come up against.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
i have not seen either game, although I watched half an hour of the city game in a bar in kefalonia and walked away embarrased that we kept hoofing it to city.

having said all that, Murphy has been awful in both games ( even though I havent actually seen him ) so is a BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO from me.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I think you've completely missed the point I was trying to make - which is that we shouldn't be slagging off any of our players after 2 games. But if you are going to, I was curious as to why Murphy has become this weeks scapegoat. I'll add in my 2nd response from above..

Everyone who needs a target will have their target. Most have opted for Ryan. I don't feel it's necessary to rationalise incessant bitching by correcting their 'worst player' with your own. I'd rather you had just defended Murphy and left it there, but you went on to criticise up to 3/4 other players.

Bottom line everybody needs to improve massively, even Solly who has looked at home in this league already, he needs to improve as well. And yes I agree, if we're getting this on NSC after 2 games I dread to think of what's to come considering we will lose most of our games if we envisage finishing 16/17th.

mattjl15

Mar 18, 2016
Everyone who needs a target will have their target. Most have opted for Ryan. I don't feel it's necessary to rationalise incessant bitching by correcting their 'worst player' with your own. I'd rather you had just defended Murphy and left it there, but you went on to criticise up to 3/4 other players.

Bottom line everybody needs to improve massively, even Solly who has looked at home in this league already, he needs to improve as well. And yes I agree, if we're getting this on NSC after 2 games I dread to think of what's to come considering we will lose most of our games if we envisage finishing 16/17th.

Agreed. For me, I was merely trying to highlight that if you want to bitch - in my mind there were more obvious targets. But you are right, it's in no ones best interest to be attacking any player.

Yep - NSC in the aftermath of a defeat is always an interesting place. Just hope people are waking up to the reality of the season. It's going to be very, very difficult.

And our best chance as a club - from the fanbase, the team and the club hierarchy - is to try and stay #together.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He also gave the ball away more times on Saturday than your pick of the bunch Stephens by the way.
I'm not commenting on how our players have performed as I didn't go to Leicester, just a small point re giving the ball away though: Unless Stephens is attempting defence splitting passes, he shouldn't be giving the ball away too much, whereas I'd expect our wingers to lose the ball more often as they try and take of defenders, cut in to shoot or cross to strikers who aren't yet there.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I'm not commenting on how our players have performed as I didn't go to Leicester, just a small point re giving the ball away though: Unless Stephens is attempting defence splitting passes, he shouldn't be giving the ball away too much, whereas I'd expect our wingers to lose the ball more often as they try and take of defenders, cut in to shoot or cross to strikers who aren't yet there.

All depends how each of us consider giving the ball away. Bruno for example tried some nice passes which didn't come off, I expect in some minds that didn't constitute giving the ball away, whereas more frustrating instances such as being caught in possession would.

It's Dale's job to sit behind, sweep up and distribute fairly simple passes, though he is quite capable of more. So point taken. However, in X number of times at attacking a fullback you would expect some to be successful. Other than Solly/Bruno a couple times on the right, I can't remember this happening on our left at all aside from long diagonals. Likewise our splitting passes are not coming off just yet. So who's failing? Everybody. The blame should be shared which is the point I was making.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If the NSC Knifemen deem it acceptable to visciously target Bong, Skalak and Hemed then surely Murphy and others should be held to equal account ? No special dispensations :shrug:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
However, in X number of times at attacking a fullback you would expect some to be successful. Other than Solly/Bruno a couple times on the right, I can't remember this happening on our left at all aside from long diagonals.
Well like I said, I didn't go, so maybe it was really bad :shrug:

Likewise our splitting passes are not coming off just yet. So who's failing? Everybody. The blame should be shared which is the point I was making.
Hopefully it won't take much for our fortunes to change - maybe one of the new signings, players upping their game a bit and a slightly weaker opposition and we can start playing with a bit of confidence and get some results.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Apologies, I must be.

This is a forum to discuss views, the fact that some think Murphy is good and others think he is average, surely is a discussion rather than coming out of the woodwork to slag them off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I never equated to discussing Murphy's ability to perform at this level to slagging him off. You've done that. OP states he was out of of his depth at the Championship level, all whilst saying the stats say otherwise.

That is not discussing if he is average, that is suggesting he is below average.

Therefore, slagging him off. He opens the question up for discussion, but discussions don't negate slagging someone off.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I never equated to discussing Murphy's ability to perform at this level to slagging him off. You've done that. OP states he was out of of his depth at the Championship level, all whilst saying the stats say otherwise.

That is not discussing if he is average, that is suggesting he is below average.

Therefore, slagging him off. He opens the question up for discussion, but discussions don't negate slagging someone off.

Fair enough, good explanation.

I just don't take slagging off in that context, suppose it's the nature of the word always feels a bit aggressive to me. Thanks though.
[emoji2]

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Anyone else excited to cheer the boys on at Watford? Or shall we all just pop down and BOOOO NSC's latest scapegoat?

Not going to Barnet then to boooo!?[emoji6]

Anyway isn't Ryan the current scapegoat?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Fair enough, good explanation.

I just don't take slagging off in that context, suppose it's the nature of the word always feels a bit aggressive to me. Thanks though.
[emoji2]

Your points in previous posts are valid, i wouldn't consider them slagging a player off. The wording of OPs post is akin to that, my comment about out of the woodwork is merely aimed at the few posters who have not posted in years piping up.

None of these concerns about Murphy were raised last year by OP...that isn't to say they didn't think it, but it's odd to raise it now

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
What have YOU been watching?
Duffy? Feck me, I think he's been brilliant in the first two games.

As per my first post I think Murphy has done okay.

He wasn't brilliant against Man City.

I didn't see the whole of the Leicester game so can't judge that.

As regards to Murphy, I'd say he has his limitations, but all of our players do. That's why they're playing for Brighton instead of Barcelona, but he's a good player who offers defensive solidity and whose running in wide positions often helps to drag our team up the pitch, which will be needed in this division. If he could add more cutting edge to his game, then he'd be a really valuable player.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He wasn't brilliant against Man City.

I didn't see the whole of the Leicester game so can't judge that.

As regards to Murphy, I'd say he has his limitations, but all of our players do. That's why they're playing for Brighton instead of Barcelona, but he's a good player who offers defensive solidity and whose running in wide positions often helps to drag our team up the pitch, which will be needed in this division. If he could add more cutting edge to his game, then he'd be a really valuable player.

Re Duffy, thought one slip aside, the whole of the defence were excellent vs City.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here