Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Elvis Interview

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Murphy isn't in great form. Manu can play both wings can't he? Worth a 90 minutes surely he can't be that bad. Gotta feel for the bloke, came with big expectations but it hadn't worked out. Part companies in the summer.

Murphy should start firing again now that Knockaert is in the side - when he was the only creativity in the side, the opposition ganged up on him. Now they have Knocker to think about, Murphy should be able to take full advantage. He has shown already this season that he is a very good player when we have another winger on the park at the same time.

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Player gets a chance to show it every time he's at training or every time he's playing for the reserves or in the token cup game. It's up to the player to force his way into the side, which he patently hasn't done so far. And the few glimpses we get of him in the first team are not exactly encouraging. Personally, I'm far more appreciative of the attitude of Niki Maenpaa who is always on the bench and never makes, to my knowledge, any kind of public show of frustration.

To be fair, I think Maenpaa knew he was going to be spending the majority of his time with us warming the bench (barring injuries), whereas I suspect Mr Manu was thinking he would be a fairly regular starter.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Lazy and talentless. He has had chances and not taken them. Disappointing.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
He hasn't really said anything that isn't true, has he? What he has omitted is that he has been underwhelming when he has been on. It may be somewhat simplistic (or I may be plain wrong) but whenever I watch Dutch football it seems that there is plenty of emphasis on attack and wingplay and very little on tracking back, defending from the front etc. I suspect that Elvis and co have it much easier in the Eredivisie than here.

It's not that it isn't true. The problem is that he has said publicly that it was a mistake to come here - those are not the words of someone who is going to knuckle down and fight for a spot in the team and it is certainly not what CH would want to hear.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To be honest, I can't see anything to disagree with what he said. Probably best not to have said it in public, though.

Just seems to be a case of wrong place, wrong time, both for him and the club. A loan move - maybe to a League 1 club - for the rest of the season might be useful, but ultimatey I think this situation will involve a parting of the ways, permanently, as soon as it can be arranged.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Either this is a brilliant example of how translations can seriously ruin a players future

OR

His head is in his ass and believes he has the divine right to always feature in the first-team.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I can't see why he's unhappy - somehow he's managed to convince a second tier English football club that he is actually a footballer, and in doing so earn a considerable amount of money.

He is hopeless, absolutely shocking.

I actually wonder if we've signed the real Elvis Manu's cousin.

I would have thought that being able to stand up, and know the offside rule were prerequisite to being a striker, indeed a professional footballer.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hate to say it but there does seem to be a bit of the Maheta Molango about Elvis Manu. Maybe football is his second choice profession?

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
I remember the Dutch fan telling us 'if you want a fast runner, Elvis is your man!' He was right, real shame cos I had high hopes.....

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
It's not that it isn't true. The problem is that he has said publicly that it was a mistake to come here - those are not the words of someone who is going to knuckle down and fight for a spot in the team and it is certainly not what CH would want to hear.

Remember it is a translation, there could be issues of context! Also he is talking to a Dutch journo, I am sure it'd be a different interview if it was with Andy Naylor.

Anyway, it's not a "happy marriage" - we paid a load of cash for someone not good enough, he joined a club expecting to feature and he doesn't.
He doesn't say he is not prepared to knuckle down - he is being told to "keep working hard." (1st Dec CH said he was having difficulty adjusting to the league but works very hard.) He feels it was a mistake to come here - well that's hardly a shock is it. I agree with him and I suspect both you and CH do too!
However, he also mentions that he had a similar situation at Feyenoord and came through it.

All in all, a footballer being honest is not the worst crime imo.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I have no problem with what he's said, it hasn't worked out so far so of course he is disappointed. I'd be more concerned if a player was happy to sit around happily collecting a wage. He clearly wants to play football. I also think it's unfair to make sweeping statements about his effort levels and ability. He hasn't had much of an opportunity to impress on the pitch, which is understandable given how well we have done, it's one of those things that happens in football. It does seem daft to recruit an attacking wide man when we play 4-4-2 too. He's not really a wide midfielder for a 4-4-2 or a striker, would be more suited if we played 4-3-3. Really no need for the over reaction by some on here.

el punal

Elvis! Elvis! Elvis! What are you about? You are my future cult player with the Albion, do NOT ruin that illusion. Remember, your namesake had to start somewhere and succeeded, and so can you with hard work and a positive attitude. If not then there will be a lot of suspicious minds and you could end up in the ghetto feeling lonesome tonight.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Exactly. Holla, Bergkamp, Manu, Farrington (playing in Holland) - you'd think we'd learnt our lesson by now..

Its an average league with a wide disparity of levels within it, which makes recruiting from it very hard.

Not just at our level, either. Jordie Classie (sp) looked an excellent buy for Saints but has been underwhelming, and United would send back Memphis if they could.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I think [MENTION=6505]Foolg[/MENTION] has it spot on, I'm not sure why some people are reacting like he said he hates Brighton and wants to roast all of our mothers :shrug:

I don't blame him for being pissed off, I'd be pissed off if I thought I was really good at my job so moved to a smaller company, then found out I was actually a bit sh*t so they only let me make tea!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here