Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LUA LUA to QPR on loan

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't recall saying we needed wingers, apologies if I did. I have been suggesting that we won't leave ourselves short of numbers while others appear to think that we have plenty of cover everywhere, except the Baldock role. Three or four injuries and/or suspensions is far from being inconceivable so I would be amazed if we don't bring players in during this window, especially given our league position. Clearly up front is still most pressing.
The discussion was about the number of wide players - see post #97 and my reply (#104). I do think though, that quality rather than quantity has to be the watch-word now - ideally, we should be looking for players who are better than the ones we've got, not just some bodies to make up the numbers (or bought purely as cover, not potential first choices).

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Albion is a team heavily reliant on wingers, to feed GM, release pressure and counterattack.

Our 4 remaining wingers all have different attributes, different weak points and very different levels of fitness.

Just 1 injury to a 'head down and charge' winger instantly brings Kaz into play.
Dismissing him as '5th choice, nowhere near the first team' is naive beyond words.

GolfingGull

Jul 21, 2013
Costa del Worthing
Shows how far we have come in that we are sending our (previously first choice) players OUT on loan rather than desperately bringing in everyone elses cast offs and injury returners.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The Albion is a team heavily reliant on wingers, to feed GM, release pressure and counterattack.

Our 4 remaining wingers all have different attributes, different weak points and very different levels of fitness.

Just 1 injury to a 'head down and charge' winger instantly brings Kaz into play.
Dismissing him as '5th choice, nowhere near the first team' is naive beyond words.

Liam is a very capable wing option, who again brings something different to the role. If he comes through today, we have a fifth option in the squad.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012

Our 4 remaining wingers all have very different levels of fitness.

Really ?
Skalak, Knockaert, and Murphy have, aside from a handful of games where Murphy had a knock a few weeks back, been available for every single game in the last 12 months.
March has been available for every game now for 2 months.
whereas Lua Lua in the last 12 months...um.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Kaz is the only 'head down and charge' winger we have.
Out and out yes, but Knockaert and Murphy both have that string in their bow, certainly more than Solly & Skalak.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think it would need at least 2 possibly 3 of our wide men to be injured for Kaz to feature and that is ignoring LR playing wide away or any promising youngsters like Bjordal or Ward pushing for the bench.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Really ?
Skalak, Knockaert, and Murphy have, aside from a handful of games where Murphy had a knock a few weeks back, been available for every single game in the last 12 months.
March has been available for every game now for 2 months.
whereas Lua Lua in the last 12 months...um.
Skalak and Kaz are very different footballers.

I'd be amazed if Chris is going to rely heavily on Solly, just yet.
Murphy is a walking twinge.
Knockaert is the very model of consistency.

But as said the team is set up for wing play.
Kaz clearly can't be relied upon, week in week out, but he's better than nothing which is why I believe another player will be added into the rotation.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I'd be amazed if Chris is going to rely heavily on Solly, just yet.
Murphy is a walking twinge.

Be amazed. March has been in every squad for 2 months now.
And Murphy isn't a walking twinge - He's been injured for only a couple of games in past 12 months.
Doesn't mean they won't recruit another winger but your reasons for it don't stack up.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

We've got Solly, Murphy, Skalak and a soon-to be-returning Rosenior who can all play down that side, plus Pocognoli who from what I've seen could also put a shift in there, if needed. In the event of an outbreak of broken legs or bubonic plague amongst all our left-sided players, I'm confident Knocky could quite comfortably switch sides for a bit.

Kaz's legs are made of Weetabix, and he's not pulled up any trees since coming back from his last injury. I really REALLY don't think we need him as cover any more this season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Precisely. This is why I'm not at all bothered about Lua Lua leaving on loan.
Neither am I, I'm just struggling with the idea of being so dismissive of losing a winger from a squad so heavily reliant on wing play.

This all started with memories of how last season ended.
Maybe I'm just being overcautious and pooh scared of getting this far into the season without an injury 'crisis'.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Neither am I, I'm just struggling with the idea of being so dismissive of losing a winger from a squad so heavily reliant on wing play.

This all started with memories of how last season ended.
Maybe I'm just being overcautious and pooh scared of getting this far into the season without an injury 'crisis'.

Last season losing Kayal and Rosenior for 4 months would have been considered an injury crisis.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As has been said Pocognoli has played left midfield so could fill in, especially in away games when we need to defend a little more and this would more than compensate the loss of Lua Lua. Those we have are more than adequate to attack in home games.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Last season our problem was losing Bong then also LR but that wont happen this year as we have 3 players for each full back position at least. 4 CB and 4 CM and 4 Wide Midfielders. Our lacking is cover up front.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here