Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] How much can you live on ?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Indeed. We retain just one car between the two of us. There are quite a few times where it feels as though it would be more convenient to have one each, but when it comes down to it there are very, very few times where we both absolutely need the use of a car at the same time.

I'm wondering if this is the way for me to go now. I cycled to the station to start my commute to work for the 1st time yesterday and the experience didn't kill me... so maybe it's sustainable (at least until the miseries of winter).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm wondering if this is the way for me to go now. I cycled to the station to start my commute to work for the 1st time yesterday and the experience didn't kill me... so maybe it's sustainable (at least until the miseries of winter).

Doesn't Mrs PL only have a short stroll to work each day? Doe she need (actually need as opposed to "it's handy") a car?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not complaining mind and if I ever need to cut my cloth there’s plenty of ‘luxury’s’ I could do without.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here

Sent from my iPhone X

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would seriously attempt to try to ditch the car if at all possible. Car ownership is the one thing that I really hate (but the missus insists we need a car - we don't) Doing a big weekly shop using a taxi ( or home delivery) if necessary and walking to the local shops the rest of the time will save you loads of money. Or cycle everywhere day to day. That big lump of metal sitting outside your house doing nothing for 23 hours a day is hampering your quality of life.

100% agree. I have only owned a car for approx 2 years and everything considered it cost thousands in that time. If I must use a car I just hire or get a taxi these days. BMW operate a DriveNow service here which is brilliant.

As an aside, I’d also ditch the “big weekly shop.” This has to be the biggest waste of domestic time there is. Personally I just buy food as an when I need it. But if you must buy big then just get it delivered.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I know that, if push came to shove, I can live on jobseekers.

I too was made redundant a few years back when my industry was struggling. It took a long time to get another job so, once savings were exhausted and redundancy money gone I was forced to go on JSA.
I'd been a higher rate taxpayer for years so qualified for mortgage relief and child benefit to the max. After everything was paid we lived on £90 a week. That's for three kids and two Adults. It was fine. Just shopped daily so no waste, used Lidl rather than sainsburys. Could have carried on but, luckily got equivalent job.

Boredom was main issue so took up cycling and guitar again.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Doesn't Mrs PL only have a short stroll to work each day? Doe she need (actually need as opposed to "it's handy") a car?

Yes, she does. The only caveat is that for the next few months she will need to make trips to North Devon fairly frequently, meaning I will be here with the kids and no car. I suppose I could use the campervan, but it's not ideal for around town and parking in the average parking space

theboybilly

The thing with cycling is you will struggle at first until you build up your fitness but it doesnt take long. You really don't need an expensive bike - in fact for a commute the cheaper is often better. 'Distressing' a bike to make it look less attractive to thieves is almost an artform to some. (even putting a basket on the bars can put scrotes off!) Riding in winter is all about preperation. Breathable waterproofs will make life so much easier. I actually enjoyed riding across Central London for a couple of years when I lived in Kent. My Brompton was the best transport investment I ever made

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The thing with cycling is you will struggle at first until you build up your fitness but it doesnt take long. You really don't need an expensive bike - in fact for a commute the cheaper is often better. 'Distressing' a bike to make it look less attractive to thieves is almost an artform to some. (even putting a basket on the bars can put scrotes off!) Riding in winter is all about preperation. Breathable waterproofs will make life so much easier. I actually enjoyed riding across Central London for a couple of years when I lived in Kent. My Brompton was the best transport investment I ever made
I used to cycle commute to the station on a bike with a kiddie seat on the back. When the kids grew too big for it, I kept it on just to put thieves off. Did the trick.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Yes, she does. The only caveat is that for the next few months she will need to make trips to North Devon fairly frequently, meaning I will be here with the kids and no car. I suppose I could use the campervan, but it's not ideal for around town and parking in the average parking space
So you live in flat Worthing where basically everywhere is cyclable, and have 2 cars AND a campervan? Mmmm.

Use the campervan as emergency 2nd vehicle, get the kids cycling more: independence, fitness, save money; everyone wins.

Not that it's any of my business.

PG

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I used to cycle commute to the station on a bike with a kiddie seat on the back. When the kids grew too big for it, I kept it on just to put thieves off. Did the trick.

Knowing my luck two bike thieves, one of whom is a midget, would have nicked it. That's why I employ a lock rather than your method.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
If that's true he's broken the law the only person who can opt out is you - I'd look for some compensation

I'm his Dad - and his Boss .
He is entitled to opt out as long as he and I agree.
I had to give him a downloaded letter that he and I signed.
He can do what I did in 1985 and pay in to a Prudential Pension Scheme.
He needs wages now without me taking out money.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Indeed. We retain just one car between the two of us. There are quite a few times where it feels as though it would be more convenient to have one each, but when it comes down to it there are very, very few times where we both absolutely need the use of a car at the same time.

Funnily enough a conversation I had with Mrs GB just last night. We have one car between us which I never use and she only uses for the school run when it’s wet, to get Junior GB to football matches when it’s our turn to do lifts and for odd family days out. We’re going to look in to whether selling it and just using a City Car now and again and hiring something for holidays and longer outings would work out cheaper over a year. It helps that there’s a City Car space one road away. I suspect we’ll do a few figures and end up forgetting about it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nearly lost the house in the early 90s (Lawson boom and bust). Took many years to pay off debts. Eventually paid off mortgage early. Been through eating frozen food in a house with no central heating and double glazing, divorced, kid living with mum in Canada. Took more than 10 years to rebalance. I don't have extravagant tastes (apart from a Majestic appetite for vin red) and I refuse to think about money now I don't have to. Apologies to OP as this is a bit off piste. Best of luck.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I'm his Dad - and his Boss .
He is entitled to opt out as long as he and I agree.
I had to give him a downloaded letter that he and I signed.
He can do what I did in 1985 and pay in to a Prudential Pension Scheme.
He needs wages now without me taking out money.

Obviously I didn't know you were related, but still I stand by my knowledge of AE pension law that an employer cannot influence an employees decision to opt out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here