Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Arundel Bypass - Another delay

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'd wager a full 8 pence that if the then, much needed, Folkstone to Honiton trunk road had been built, there'd still be threads on here, now, saying how we desperately need another bigger and better road.

Spot on.

It would've generated huge new volumes in traffic in its own right, for example making trips to S'ton, Pompey, Dorset, Devon far more doo-able.

After a few years the calls would've come for three or four lanes each way, or for the A272 to be turned into a trunk road to take the strain.

Said hypocritically as I'm a driver, but I'm honest enough to admit that better roads encourage us to work further from home and travel far further for leisure/shopping.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Spot on.

It would've generated huge new volumes in traffic in its own right, for example making trips to S'ton, Pompey, Dorset, Devon far more doo-able.

After a few years the calls would've come for three or four lanes each way, or for the A272 to be turned into a trunk road to take the strain.

Said hypocritically as I'm a driver, but I'm honest enough to admit that better roads encourage us to work further from home and travel far further for leisure/shopping.

Add me to the list of hypocrites as well.

I hate congestion
I love driving my cars
I want to get everywhere as quick as is possible
I hate emissions and what they do to the planet and feel guilty whenever i drive into towns and cities and see the deposits making people's homes dirty, heaven help their lungs
Yet i still want to drive my car
I still want efficient roads, and I still want them uncontested
They should build more
I hate that new roads will trash green spaces
I'd moan like F if one was proposed near my home
I want new roads
Oh and I still want to drive my car..

and so we go round ....

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
We need something like this!
E621E07B-1AB9-4812-8E91-B1035F3DA531.jpeg

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Here will do although I'm sure there's a more relevant A27 thread somewhere

Chichester council have announced it plans to allow 12,500 houses to be built over the next 17 years.

No mention of roads and infrastructure.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Add me to the list of hypocrites as well.

I hate congestion
I love driving my cars
I want to get everywhere as quick as is possible
I hate emissions and what they do to the planet and feel guilty whenever i drive into towns and cities and see the deposits making people's homes dirty, heaven help their lungs
Yet i still want to drive my car
I still want efficient roads, and I still want them uncontested
They should build more
I hate that new roads will trash green spaces
I'd moan like F if one was proposed near my home
I want new roads
Oh and I still want to drive my car..

and so we go round ....

In Spain they just do it.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
It needs improving. we need a continious dual carriageway from Folkestone to Honiton.

The current layout is a shambles. It should have been built 50 years ago.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I'm sure all the people on here complaining about NIMBYs will be thrilled by the Government's plans to overhaul the planning system which would see thousands more homes built across the SE with no input from councillors or neighbours at planning application stage.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
A three lane motorway along the South Coast from Dover to Southampton, thus linking major Ports should have been constructed 50 years ago.

It could have been sympathetically landscaped. You can't really say that the majority of people in Hampshire particularly notice the M27?

It will never happen of course.

I'm personally happy to say goodbye to driving in almost all of the South East of England, without doubt the most unpleasant & stressful part of my Job.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A three lane motorway along the South Coast from Dover to Southampton, thus linking major Ports should have been constructed 50 years ago.

It could have been sympathetically landscaped. You can't really say that the majority of people in Hampshire particularly notice the M27?

I'm personally happy to say goodbye to driving in almost all of the South East of England, without doubt the most unpleasant & stressful part of my Job.

The M27 isn't set in, around and through the stunning South Downs.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Which conveniently overlooks the M3 cutting through Twyford Down, which remains decades later a national planning disgrace.

For the record I am in favour of the Arundel bypass and get hugely frustrated by NIMBY noise, when it hugely overstates the environmental impact, but there are rarely any free hits and sometimes decisions are difficult.

theboybilly

I'd wager a full 8 pence that if the then, much needed, Folkstone to Honiton trunk road had been built, there'd still be threads on here, now, saying how we desperately need another bigger and better road.

It will always be thus but the car lobby can't see past the end of their noses. You've only got to look at the plans for a relatively small housing development like the IKEA one at Lancing to see just how much land is going to be wasted not on the use of cars but rather the storage (parking) of tons of metal standing idle for the most part. How much if that land is actually being wasted. There is no reason to upgrade the A27 either between Arundel and Chichester or Polegate and Lewes. What is needed is people staggering their journeys a little or using a more sustainable mode of transport for these short journeys. People are so bloody lazy. Our roads are clogged with parked cars. It's horrible but people refuse to see the damage it is doing to ourselves. Yes, let's concrete over everything so we don't have to walk a quarter of a mile. I knew things, wouldn't change after the lockdown

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Which conveniently overlooks the M3 cutting through Twyford Down, which remains decades later a national planning disgrace.

For the record I am in favour of the Arundel bypass and get hugely frustrated by NIMBY noise, when it hugely overstates the environmental impact, but there are rarely any free hits and sometimes decisions are difficult.

The Twyford Down cutting was ‘built’ on a lie. Famously the marked out area where it was proposed, was just half the width of the real cutting.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It will always be thus but the car lobby can't see past the end of their noses. You've only got to look at the plans for a relatively small housing development like the IKEA one at Lancing to see just how much land is going to be wasted not on the use of cars but rather the storage (parking) of tons of metal standing idle for the most part. How much if that land is actually being wasted. There is no reason to upgrade the A27 either between Arundel and Chichester or Polegate and Lewes. What is needed is people staggering their journeys a little or using a more sustainable mode of transport for these short journeys. People are so bloody lazy. Our roads are clogged with parked cars. It's horrible but people refuse to see the damage it is doing to ourselves. Yes, let's concrete over everything so we don't have to walk a quarter of a mile. I knew things, wouldn't change after the lockdown

People travel to work at the time their employee asks them to start and not everywhere people travel is by a train station or sustainable mode of transport. You can’t keep increasing housing numbers in the area and not the road capacity as well.

I am sure post COVID more people will have a balance which involves more remote working which will reduce some traffic on the roads but we are decades behind what are required improvements at some of the worst pinch points on the coast.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here