Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Dancing

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Forget the choreographed dance troops, ballet, tap and ballroom etc.

But take a two step back, and don’t you think it’s weird people shaking their bodies to music ?

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

But take a two step back, and don’t you think it’s weird people shaking their bodies to music ?

It's a valid question.
What IS it that makes people want to dance? And why do some forms of music move you more than others. It's fascinating.

Have you ever seen kids who can barely stand react to music? Some kids dance. It's just there inside of them.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire

Yep - glad I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Also, clapping: what's that about? Hitting our hands together to make a loud noise to show appreciation - it's a bit weird.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Maybe it's equally weird not to dance. I think our brains chemically react to certain rhythms and beats which affect our motor responses causing us to react in various extremes of reaction from simply nodding our head, tapping out feet or full blown dancing. If your brain doesn't function in that way that could be because of an unnatural chemical imbalance in your brain or you are suppressing your natural responses.
Maybe life as reflected in musicals where everyone breaks into dance at a drop of a hat is closer to our natural behavioural responses than we realise. The fact that we don't behave like that is just a reflection of our suppression and inhibition. I think dancing should be encouraged and embraced in our everyday life from walking to work in the morning, walking down the supermarket aisle, during a job interview, visiting the doctor. Just go with it man. You know you want to.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You can take it a step further - how mental a concept is music, when you really think about it? It might be my favourite thing humans have done.

Also, as said before, there must be something innate about it. My son is coming up to 7 months old and he already rocks and bounces around when music comes on, and when we sing to him he smiles and laughs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You can take it a step further - how mental a concept is music, when you really think about it? It might be my favourite thing humans have done.

Also, as said before, there must be something innate about it. My son is coming up to 7 months old and he already rocks and bounces around when music comes on, and when we sing to him he smiles and laughs.

I didn’t know you had a child, belated congrats.

And it is the best thing humans have done, without doubt.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Less weird than 30,000 people gathering round to watch a few other people kick a pigs bladder around for 90 minutes

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Reminds me of Dara O'Briain's take on music. "These noises, are the wrong noises going in your ear"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here