Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Internet Banking

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Starting to feel it's compulsory.

Lunchtime trip to the bank went a bit like this .....

Me – I would like to transfer £Blah amount from my account to Blah’s account please.

Cashier – Do you do internet banking?

Me – No

Cashier – have you thought about it?

Me – Yes.

Cashier – Would you like me to go through internet banking with you?

Me – No thank you.

Cashier – Do you use the internet?

Me – Um …. Yes I do (smirk)

Cashier – If you do internet banking you wouldn’t have to waste time coming to the bank (sugary smile)

Me – I like coming to the bank (big smile).

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
What a waste of life. Just do internet banking, Do you have nothing better to do?

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Not sure why bank staff are so desperate to push people out of their branches onto the internet, just makes it more likely their own branch goes, and their job with it

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm one of those annoying, hypocritical people who moans about banks closing and the loss of jobs etc but never actually go in a branch as I find internet banking so convenient. My app is fantastic.

I work for a bank, but don't have my accounts with the bank I work for. I genuinely can't remember the last time I set foot in the bank that my accounts are with.......do everything via the app.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What a waste of life. Just do internet banking, Do you have nothing better to do?

Have you ever tried to pay in a cheque via your phone or Ipad? Yes, I do still get cheques (lucky me) HMRC sent me one, two years ago.

Two of my local branches have now closed so I have to travel to Brighton or Seaford. In June, my bank messed up when they did a system upgrade over a weekend duplicating 5 transactions. I contacted them several times by private message on the app, but they couldn't seem to grasp these were duplicates. It also made my balance appear a lot lower than it actually was.
On returning home I went into the Seaford brance, and explained it face to face with a human being, who apologised profusely, sent me a letter of apology and £25 compensation.

Internet banking is fine, but nothing beats a human.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Have you ever tried to pay in a cheque via your phone or Ipad? Yes, I do still get cheques (lucky me)

Two of my local branches have now closed so I have to travel to Brighton or Seaford. In June, my bank messed up when they did a system upgrade over a weekend duplicating 5 transactions. I contacted them several times by private message on the app, but they couldn't seem to grasp these were duplicates. It also made my balance appear a lot lower than it actually was.
On returning home I went into the Seaford brance, and explained it face to face with a human being, who apologised profusely, sent me a letter of apology and £25 compensation.

Yup - think most visits to branches now are because something has gone wrong (or by people who haven't grasped how efficient the web is for simple transactions)....problem is the staff are so undertrained and inexperienced they don't usually have a clue what has gone wrong or what to do about it as all the real 'operational' stuff we used to do in the branch was centralised and/or offshored years ago. You can also pay in cheques through many ATMs 24/7 though.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Have you ever tried to pay in a cheque via your phone or Ipad? Yes, I do still get cheques (lucky me) HMRC sent me one, two years ago.

Firstly the OP was talking about doing a transfer. Online is the easiest, fastest and probably these days, safest way to do it.

Secondly, you jest, but functionality exists to pay cheques in by smart phone. Its just not being rolled out in the UK at present.

Physical banks won’t be around forever, my guess is 10-15 years tops so if your planning on living that long it’s probably worth working out how to bank digitally.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There is absolutely no reason to visit a branch other than to confirm your identity. Complaints are better dealt with over the phone.

Yeah but a lot of people either don't realise that (I'm not speaking to someone in India about it' etc), or want to 'speak to a human face to face'. It's a percetion thing - complains are resolved far quicker through the dedicated centres.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Firstly the OP was talking about doing a transfer. Online is the easiest, fastest and probably these days, safest way to do it.

Secondly, you jest, but functionality exists to pay cheques in by smart phone. Its just not being rolled out in the UK at present.

Physical banks won’t be around forever, my guess is 10-15 years tops so if your planning on living that long it’s probably worth working out how to bank digitally.

I do internet banking so I have worked it out thanks. That's how I knew Barclays had screwed up the duplicate payments whilst I was abroad in France using the wifi.
I'm clever me.

As for trying to ring up and deal with it on the phone, well, the online assistant wasn't a lot of good, as she didn't know what I was talking about. Fortunately the Barclays Twitter Help, had a bit more about them.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
There is absolutely no reason to visit a branch other than to confirm your identity. Complaints are better dealt with over the phone.

No need even for that anymore. There are approved virtual ID&VA methods now too eg Monzo.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yeah but a lot of people either don't realise that (I'm not speaking to someone in India about it' etc), or want to 'speak to a human face to face'. It's a percetion thing - complains are resolved far quicker through the dedicated centres.

It took three days to try and sort it out, until I visited a branch back in the UK. There it took just 5 minutes.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I have hearing problems and find Indians very hard to understand, they seem to mumble; I've tried asking them to speak more slowly and clearly but it's a lottery whether you get one who actually listens and slows down.
For that reason if I had a problem I'd go into the branch. other than that, Internet banking is just the ticket.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I have hearing problems and find Indians very hard to understand, they seem to mumble; I've tried asking them to speak more slowly and clearly but it's a lottery whether you get one who actually listens and slows down.
For that reason if I had a problem I'd go into the branch. other than that, Internet banking is just the ticket.

Try sending a secure message online. Makes it easier to be clear what the issue is and get a full considered response.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I visited my Bank branch today to pay in some cash. How can I do that on line?

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Pretty sure you can't cash cheques with a Nationwide App.

I spent 5 minutes trying to find the option myself in the app. Google suggests it is a US nationwide.com that has a check (US spelling deliberate) paying app, not the UK Nationwide.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here