Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Post transfer deadline day reflections

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Well happy, as long as we don't get injuries or suspensions for 2 players of similar positions at the same time then we are covered with the 18 man squad

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
If someone had said to me at the end of the Transfer Window we would have signed on permanent deals:

Bobby Z
Tomer Hemed
Liam Rosenior
Uwe Hunemeier
Connor Goldson
Jamie Murphy
Elvis Manu
Gaetan Bong
Jack Harper
Vahid Hambo
Niki Maenpaa
A re-signed Lewis Dunk
A Kazenga Lua Lua who seems to be finally fulfilling his potential
A fully fit Dale Stephens, Beram Kayal, and Sam Baldock
Shipped Chris O’Grady out on loan

All of these with still the option to sign one or two loanees, then I would say I am more than happy.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Isn't that because we have yet to see any of them play in a 4-4-2? I am sure at least 1 of those + Crofts would do well as backup. It is another unknown, but I am sure we have enough there to certainly get us to January - they can always look again then if none of this lot are good enough.
Good point. I suppose it is unfair to predict failure without trying them. An unknown, as you say, and let's be optimistic about Crofts anyway.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I'm extremely confident that we will have a top four finish this season. My only worry is that we are still suspect in defence. Hamed is beginning to show what he can do, Baldock looks a completely different player from last year, Stephens and Kayal are looking good in midfield, Kaz, Elvis, March and Murphy on the wings and with Hambo and Harper still to come, this is going to be an exciting season. It's nice to have Bobby back but has to ask how involved he will be? Bournemouth exceeded everyone's expectations last season, so can we. A win against Hull on Saturday, will put us 6 points ahead of them. Happy days are here again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Defence is actually our strongest point.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
If someone had said to me at the end of the Transfer Window we would have signed on permanent deals:

Bobby Z
Tomer Hemed
Liam Rosenior
Uwe Hunemeier
Connor Goldson
Jamie Murphy
Elvis Manu
Gaetan Bong
Jack Harper
Vahid Hambo
Niki Maenpaa
A re-signed Lewis Dunk

All of these with still the option to sign one or two loanees, then I would say I am more than happy.

You would have also gone WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I saw Will Hoskins setting up Ryan Harley for Exeter on the League Two highlights this week. I'm pretty happy with what we have now.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Bobby Z
Tomer Hemed
Liam Rosenior
Uwe Hunemeier
Connor Goldson
Jamie Murphy
Elvis Manu
Gaetan Bong
Jack Harper
Vahid Hambo
Niki Maenpaa
A re-signed Lewis Dunk

You're missing the step where you do searches for:

Tomer Hemed
Uwe Hunemeier
Connor Goldson
Jamie Murphy
Elvis Manu
Gaetan Bong
Jack Harper
Vahid Hambo

...to find out who they are.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Bobby Z
Tomer Hemed
Liam Rosenior
Uwe Hunemeier
Connor Goldson
Jamie Murphy
Elvis Manu
Gaetan Bong
Jack Harper
Vahid Hambo
Niki Maenpaa
A re-signed Lewis Dunk

Esp when you take into account the calibre of players many on NSC would have been happy with 6 weeks ago.

#gettheteambacktogether.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I'm extremely confident that we will have a top four finish this season. My only worry is that we are still suspect in defence.

Stop worrying! Bruno has been right back to his best (see what I did there) and we have Rosenior who can deputise as well as offer plenty of options as we saw at Ipswich, Bong looks excellent so far and we now have 3 very much proven centre backs as well as Goldson who could be as good as any of them (who knows?) Calde is still around to cover any of the positions in a crisis. No need to worry about us defensively.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Ince?
Holla?
JFC?

Partnered with either Kayal or Stephens, I'm sure any of the above will look a whole lot better than they have done in the run-outs they've had in weaker teams this season
If we lose Kayal or Stephens, and Crofts isn't his old self, then I think we'll need to change to a midfield three.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My only worry is that we are still suspect in defence.

Still?

When have we been suspect in defence? Last season we had something like the 4th best defence in the division. If it wasn't for our defence, and I include Stockdale in that, then we would be in League One right now.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Still?

When have we been suspect in defence? Last season we had something like the 4th best defence in the division. If it wasn't for our defence, and I include Stockdale in that, then we would be in League One right now.
Quite.

We're not really suspect anywhere at the moment. We might be short of a bit of cover but I'd say our first 15 or 16 stand up to any other 15 or 16 in the division, including Derby and Middlesbrough. Just to reiterate, not only are we very consistent at the moment, but we've just beaten a major top 6 contender. Away from home. Comfortably.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm quite staggered about how much better this has been handled......keys for me are :
-experienced, astute manager who obviously has the backing of the board (probably came in on his own terms), knew what he wanted and seems to be a great judge of a player. Tactically very smart too (eg Rosenior on the wing.....)
-no loanees. They are all playing for the shirt and it shows. Marked difference in passion is obvious
-'old' players getting a new lease of life under the new regime (much down to CH again I'm sure), KLL and Bruno in particular, and Stephens being fit again
-fantastic partnerships forming

Looks like TB and PB have taken the lessons of last term on board. Very happy days.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Still?

the only reason we survived the drop was because Millwall and Rotherham were so bad (how did we fare against both of those teams?). Against both Fulham and Ipswich this season at times our defence looked at 6s and 7s.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'm quite happy with how everything's gone

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here