Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Official Match Thread: England v Colombia

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I know, see my post above. We won ugly tonight with a very immature team against a disgraceful opposition. I’m pleased 3 fold: for Southgates exorcism; because we beat a cheating dirty side who were nothing short of a disgrace; and because a young side of lads have done us proud under enormous pressure.

Bring on the Parsnips!

Hear hear. We're England, we've proved in tournament after tournament, decade after decade that we are NOT one of the world's top-flight football nations, and consequently we really have to celebrate our successes.

Last night was a great night for English football. Enjoy it because they really don't come around that often. I'm guessing the people complaining about the performance are those whom, despite all evidence to contrary and all the years of failure, still think we should be brushing aside teams like Colombia on the grounds that we invented the game and we won the war. Either that or they're the sort of people who claim to hate Christmas and birthdays - because that's what last night was!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Club before country?

Let me know when England play Brighton and I’ll make a choice. In fact, let me know when England participating at a major tournement so much as affects the Albion and I’ll make a choice. No such thing Trig - don’t buy in to the champions league, sky sports hyperbole phrases such as ‘club v country’. Case closed.

Well said.
Its a good job the players feel a lot more strongly about wearing an England shirt than these ' club first merchants '. Watch the reaction of messrs Wright, Dixon and Neville last night and that tells you all you need to know about passion for their country. Its become fashionable to say glibly...." Oh, I'm not interested in England "..." Its rubbish "...." I won't even be watching " Well wait and see how far we progress and surprise, surprise, a lot of these types will be saying...." Oh, the tv was on in the house but I wasn't really watching it "

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hear hear. We're England, we've proved in tournament after tournament, decade after decade that we are NOT one of the world's top-flight football nations, and consequently we really have to celebrate our successes.

Last night was a great night for English football. Enjoy it because they really don't come around that often. I'm guessing the people complaining about the performance are those whom, despite all evidence to contrary and all the years of failure, still think we should be brushing aside teams like Colombia on the grounds that we invented the game and we won the war. Either that or they're the sort of people who claim to hate Christmas and birthdays - because that's what last night was!

Agreed. One of the better performances I’ve seen at a World Cup in 30 odd years. Controlled the ball and game with some really confident neat football at times. They defended deep and in numbers so chances were always going to be a premium. The antics of Columbia were a disgrace with a seemingly oblivious referee and var.

Fantastic feeling to be in the 1/4 final.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Huge leap forward psychologically for the England team. Quite obvious the manager has nailed that completely.

The amateur pundits on here can talk all they like about substitutions and individual performances from their arm chairs, but the reality is that irrespective of what happens in the next game Southgate has burst that balloon.

Winning that shoot is the biggest leap forward for the England team in decades.

"You write your own stories"

.. not the press.

Completely agree, a watershed moment for England whatever happens on Saturday. BELIEVE....

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Brilliant night out watching the game. The better team in the 90 minutes won.

Thought the better team over 120mins won! Even after the crushing equaliser, we looked the more likely in ET. As Gary Neville said, as good as a 1-0 would have been, winning like we did could hold them in even greater stead going into Saturday.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I still can’t believe we won a shoot out.

We really have a team we can be proud of, even if we lose the next game.

None of this “they don’t care” rubbish every single starter was shattered mentally and physically after the 90 minutes and yet found a way to win.

They have already achieved more than the so called golden generation.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Club before country?

Let me know when England play Brighton and I’ll make a choice.
There'd be no choice to make, obviously we'd support Brighton.

In fact, let me know when England participating at a major tournement so much as affects the Albion and I’ll make a choice. No such thing Trig - don’t buy in to the champions league, sky sports hyperbole phrases such as ‘club v country’.
Didn't know it was their phrase. It's simply a way of saying I follow our club a great deal more than I follow England, and our results generally mean more to me. I obviously know our whole squad all the time, the same isn't true of England. I don't even watch all England friendlies on the TV.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just watching the BBC rerun and Danny Murphy keeps saying the headbutt on Henderson should be a penalty.
Why do the BBC employ experts who don't even know the laws of the game.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just watching the BBC rerun and Danny Murphy keeps saying the headbutt on Henderson should be a penalty.
Why do the BBC employ experts who don't even know the laws of the game.

It would have been, if the referee was the one who sent Greer off at Withdean.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Well said.
Its a good job the players feel a lot more strongly about wearing an England shirt than these ' club first merchants '. Watch the reaction of messrs Wright, Dixon and Neville last night and that tells you all you need to know about passion for their country. Its become fashionable to say glibly...." Oh, I'm not interested in England "..." Its rubbish "...." I won't even be watching " Well wait and see how far we progress and surprise, surprise, a lot of these types will be saying...." Oh, the tv was on in the house but I wasn't really watching it "

I'm a club first merchant, still love England.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
England barely made a chance all evening. Maybe we should play for penalties against Sweden.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fair point.

You would have been astonished by the 5live phone in the last hour. Call after call from Englishmen (definitely not Scots!) slagging off Kane (no pace, lack of non-pen goals, etc) and England's WC showing in general.
Each time we were under pressure and managed to get the ball to Kane, he managed to take it forward and then he'd be fouled.

He's scored 3 from open play and 3 penalties hasn't he? How many did Messi get, 1 (and missed a penalty). How many did Ronaldo get, 3 (inc 1 penalty)? And he's only played 3 games. Idiots. Hence why I don't listen to such radio.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here