Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] DVLA web in English. is this correct?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
You bought some burgers and brought them to the bbq

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
This highlights an issue that is becoming increasingly prevalent in the world of text speak, and emoji etc. People are using words that may sound similar but have very different meanings. We are all familiar with the whole their, there, they're issue, along with numerous other examples. "Can I get a "and "Can I have a " are two totally different things, but how many people now use "can I get" to a server behind a counter instead of Can I have, how many know the difference?
Everyone makes mistakes occasionally,(such as the OP in this case) but there is an increasing acceptance that it actually doesn't matter. Grammar and Spelling, construction and correct use of language are becoming optional and whilst language has always evolved, what we are seeing now isn't evolution of a language, it is the wholesale dumbing down of what should be a rich beautiful language into the equivalent of teenage grunts . How often do you hear and see "dis, dat, dem" used by children and even supposed adults instead of This That Them ?

I bet your a good night out...

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
This highlights an issue that is becoming increasingly prevalent in the world of text speak, and emoji etc. People are using words that may sound similar but have very different meanings. We are all familiar with the whole their, there, they're issue, along with numerous other examples. "Can I get a "and "Can I have a " are two totally different things, but how many people now use "can I get" to a server behind a counter instead of Can I have, how many know the difference?
Everyone makes mistakes occasionally,(such as the OP in this case) but there is an increasing acceptance that it actually doesn't matter. Grammar and Spelling, construction and correct use of language are becoming optional and whilst language has always evolved, what we are seeing now isn't evolution of a language, it is the wholesale dumbing down of what should be a rich beautiful language into the equivalent of teenage grunts . How often do you hear and see "dis, dat, dem" used by children and even supposed adults instead of This That Them ?

I'm not that bad with grammer but I can't seem to grasp the correct use of less or fewer. I only know I've made this mistake when the other half gives me the cold shoulder.
#livingwiththegrammerpolice

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'm not that bad with grammer but I can't seem to grasp the correct use of less or fewer. I only know I've made this mistake when the other half gives me the cold shoulder.
#livingwiththegrammerpolice
Less is used for non-quantifiable things, fewer for quantifiable.

For example, you could say that one beach has fewer grains of sand on it than another (because you can have a grain of sand), or you could say one has less sand than the other. (because you can't have 'a sand').

You wouldn't say 'less grains of sand' or 'fewer sand'.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Language evolves. Those banging on about less or fewer or can have and can get probably ignore the fact that language 100 years ago was different and it will be in 100 years.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Language evolves. Those banging on about less or fewer or can have and can get probably ignore the fact that language 100 years ago was different and it will be in 100 years.

Fair enough. But some poor usage alters the meaning (such as disinterested / uninterested, or using the word inflammable when you mean flammable) and the trouble with incorrect usage is that the reader then doesn't know whether the author is using the terms in the 'old, proper' way, or in the 'new, modern, evolving' way. And therefore, the reader may get the wrong impression from what was written.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
id say bought it is.correct

One of my special low-threshold irritations is the oposite - when people say 'bought' instead of 'brought'. As in 'I bought it home'. My standard reply is 'when did you bing it home?'. :rant:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
One of my special low-threshold irritations is the oposite - when people say 'bought' instead of 'brought'. As in 'I bought it home'. My standard reply is 'when did you bing it home?'. :rant:

Be careful when talking to a Yorkshire person when they use fetched instead of brought. I fetched it with me. It's more prevalent in Leeds, than other areas.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Whilst on the DLVA web site to notify change of ownership after selling a car I noticed one of the multi choice questions gave an option as “bought it” Surely this should be brought it?
I know their (or is it the’re?)native tongue is welsh but as a government body someone must of proof read it before it went live. Or am I wrong and just made a tit of myself?

View attachment 98233

Very, very cunning. I see what you did there. You drew attention from the fact that you said 'must of' instead of 'must have', by showing your misunderstanding of the difference between 'bought; and 'brought' instead. Nice one. I see nobody else noticed in 4 pages!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Be careful when talking to a Yorkshire person when they use fetched instead of brought. I fetched it with me. It's more prevalent in Leeds, than other areas.

As long as they don't use fetched instead of bought :rolleyes:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And while we are at it, every time I see DVLA I read DVDA. So many wasted evenings in the early noughties :facepalm::lolol:

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Very, very cunning. I see what you did there. You drew attention from the fact that you said 'must of' instead of 'must have', by showing your misunderstanding of the difference between 'bought; and 'brought' instead. Nice one. I see nobody else noticed in 4 pages!

Ahem. Post #6

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Wouldn't that imply you've relinquished ownership?

Tell DVLA you've sold, transferred or bought a vehicle
Tell DVLA when you no longer own a vehicle, or you buy a vehicle as either a registered keeper or motor trader.

It seems the form is for selling, transferring or buying a vehicle.

So I would assume you have either relinquished ownership by selling or transferring the vehicle to someone else or have purchased a vehicle. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s how it appears to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here