Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Safe Standing at the AMEX

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm very "meh" on the whole safe standing at the Amex thing, as I wouldn't give my seat up in the WSU for it.

The only way it might pique my interest a little more, is if each safe standing area was NOT designated - ie you buy a ticket to the safe standing stand, and just go and stand where you want. Much easier for mates and groups to meet up and congregate. Just like the awaydays of old (and the Goldstone), if you want to be directly behind the goal then turn up a bit earlier and nab your place, otherwise just go and pick a spot on the day. It would bring that spontaneity back into the matchday experience.

If they turned the North Stand into safe standing and allowed that aspect, then great. But it'll never happen. You'll still in effect just have your ticket for that one and only spot you are allowed to stand in, just the same as if you'd bought a seat.

So I'm still meh.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
The government - or rather, the SGSA - won't cite Celtic or Dortmund as satisfactory examples of this system working, because they're not in England and the culture is different.

They have yet to provide any evidence to back up this assertion.

Sounds like a loaded agenda to me. Unless they are willing to trial this with clubs who want to try it out, it simply won't happen and we will be left with tens of thousands of fans continuing to stand in seating areas, unsafely. A new level of idiocy.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sounds like a loaded agenda to me. Unless they are willing to trial this with clubs who want to try it out, it simply won't happen and we will be left with tens of thousands of fans continuing to stand in seating areas, unsafely. A new level of idiocy.

It's a totally loaded agenda.

Getting football fans to behave with a certain level of coercion. At least, that's what the government intends.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It seems there are sensible points on both sides.

Cost is a factor to some degree and there is the problems spelled out about the governments atttitude to the issue. However there does seem to be a lot of interest (I notice a twitter poll today got 500+ positive responses from Albion fans)

I’m not sure what fans/the clubs objections to a new discussion on the subject would be if Parliament get behind the idea. Surely clubs should contribute to the debate rather than sit on their hands..

Clubs are contributing to the debate.

Not only via social media etc., but through the Football League and the Premier League (who are representatives of the 72 and the 20 respectively in this instance) - both of whom want to see safe standing trialled.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I would like to see standing but wouldn't myself, anymore. However, about beer at seats, so we all have a beer and we score isn't that like a shampoo?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Once you get too old to stand at away games, stop going!
I know there will be reasoned arguments on both sides but personally I think this would be a real step backwards given all that has gone before. You have to stand at all away games, so the only thing I'd change is to ban the tw*** at the front who won't sit down!!!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
There is a link between beer and misbehaviour; there is little or none between standing and misbehaviour.

There is, but it's still a nonsense isn't it? I'd much rather be able to nurse a pint throughout the second half rather than down it in 3 minutes (after getting served).

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There is, but it's still a nonsense isn't it? I'd much rather be able to nurse a pint throughout the second half rather than down it in 3 minutes (after getting served).

Well, yes. Most would. But the (misplaced) narrative about 'tanked up hordes' - as recited by the unapologetic truth-denier in Sir Bernard Ingham - still holds some traction among the airhead MPs. So not only would we have to prove ourselves good people when standing up (like we've been doing the whole time anyway), but we'd have to prove ourselves good boys and girls when it comes to beer consumption.

Cricket and rugby fans don't have to put up with this shit - and there is an almighty crossover of fans of any two or all three of those sports.

Personally, I'm in favour of being able to drink in sight of the pitch, but not have the bar open while the game is on.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

The reasons are a bit of a nonsense, but having gone to the WSL for beambacks when people can drink beer in the stands, it just gets to be a pain in the arse. You get a non-stop stream of people squeezing past to fetch beers, then squeezing past again to go for a piss. The idea of it is better than the reality.

And gawd help everyone around if we score when people are nursing a full pint.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Once you get too old to stand at away games, stop going!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

That is what I have done. Also I think that the law on not having beer in view of the game is ridiculous but I do not believe that it should be taken back to the general seats but ok in private boxes hospitality areas etc rather than draw the curtains during half time.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Yup.
The simple way (if it were to come in ) would be to ask al NS STH whether they wish to take up the offer of Safe Standing to find out how many seats they need to convert.
Then convert that many seats to standing across the back of the stand.
Move people to seats / standing with their groups as appropriate.

They'd need to ask all STH - because some may well move to a safe standing area, if there was one, from other parts of the ground. That would be the only way of finding out just how many seats they'd need to convert.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I'm very "meh" on the whole safe standing at the Amex thing, as I wouldn't give my seat up in the WSU for it.

The only way it might pique my interest a little more, is if each safe standing area was NOT designated - ie you buy a ticket to the safe standing stand, and just go and stand where you want. Much easier for mates and groups to meet up and congregate. Just like the awaydays of old (and the Goldstone), if you want to be directly behind the goal then turn up a bit earlier and nab your place, otherwise just go and pick a spot on the day. It would bring that spontaneity back into the matchday experience.

If they turned the North Stand into safe standing and allowed that aspect, then great. But it'll never happen. You'll still in effect just have your ticket for that one and only spot you are allowed to stand in, just the same as if you'd bought a seat.

So I'm still meh.

Much like an away game then. I'm sure if they brought in safe standing, this sort of mingling and not going precisely where your designated place is would happen.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
IF it eventually happened, and the made say, 3,000 safe standing, #3,001 would stand anyway, as would many others around him/her.

Don't see the point in changing really.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think Barber has come out and sad he is against it, the whole time this is his stance I dont think we would have a chance.

Personally I am in the WSU so will never see this as an option there, however I think it should be a consideration for the North.

I think that's a bit harsh. His comments were along the lines of the club is broadly neutral, but there will be a cost involved, and it seems unfair to expect Tony Bloom to pick up the tab (which seems fair enough).

There is no scope to increase capacity should safe standing be introduced, and therefore I think it highly unlikely that there will be price reductions should it occur (which presumably would be in the North Stand).

The club did canvas opinion from fans, but the response was half hearted and there were very few people who bothered to complete the questionnaire, so the club took the view that there wasn't a lot of enthusiasm for SS.

If we do want it then need to get off our arses, which is a prerequisite for standing as a rule.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Much like an away game then. I'm sure if they brought in safe standing, this sort of mingling and not going precisely where your designated place is would happen.

I'm not so sure. Just like the away games, you're going to have people who have bought a ticket for a specific seat/standing area, and thats where they want to be as it could be grouped with friends and family. I don't think the club would accommodate fans en-masse just standing where they want in the North (if thats where the SS area was) any more than they would turn a blind eye to people treating any other seated area as 'anything goes'. I like the idea of it being a 100% non-designated area for SS, but it just wouldn't happen.

We have our names on our season tickets. They have CCTV, and we're probably being watched.....

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I'm not so sure. Just like the away games, you're going to have people who have bought a ticket for a specific seat/standing area, and thats where they want to be. I don't think the club would accommodate fans en-masse just standing where they want in the North (if thats where the SS area was) any more than they would turn a blind eye to people treating any other seated area as 'anything goes'.

We have our names on our season tickets. They have CCTV, and we're probably being watched.....

Especially if they photograph / video you when you scan your ticket on the way in. Or was that just a rumour!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here