Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Easter Bunny CD 2015

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Just had an idea, after New Year I'm going to collate a play list containing one track from everyone's CD then stick it on Mixcloud so everybody can access it - any thoughts?

Each track will be your favourite from the CD you received.

That gets a big thumbs up from me, too.

:thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just had an idea, after New Year I'm going to collate a play list containing one track from everyone's CD then stick it on Mixcloud so everybody can access it - any thoughts?

Each track will be your favourite from the CD you received.

Yeah, brilliant idea.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
All seems to have gone quiet.

New Years Day update

Received, reviewed (Correctly guessed sender)
[MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] (Theatre of Trees)
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] (deletebeepbeepbeep)
[MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION] (Hans Kraay Fan Club)
[MENTION=2351]m20gull[/MENTION] (Guinness Boy)

Received, reviewed, not yet guessed
[MENTION=19671]CorgiRegisteredFriend[/MENTION]
[MENTION=15464]DavePage[/MENTION]
[MENTION=13947]happypig[/MENTION]

Received but yet to review
[MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19864]Flex Your Head[/MENTION]
[MENTION=468]somerset[/MENTION]
[MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION]
[MENTION=260]sully[/MENTION]
[MENTION=21502]Razzoo[/MENTION]
[MENTION=17286]Gordon Bennett[/MENTION]
[MENTION=1131]Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo[/MENTION]

Status unknown - yet to receive
[MENTION=26695]Mowgli37[/MENTION] **
[MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION] *
[MENTION=2040]Staly[/MENTION] **
[MENTION=15311]The Buttery Biscuit Base[/MENTION] *
[MENTION=27736]SouthCoastOwl[/MENTION] *

* I've had confirmation that the CD is in the post.
** CD delayed until after New Year due to unforeseen circumstances.

Yet to hear from one person.

I'll delay revealing who has who for a few weeks.

Also when reviewing give an indication of your favourite or most liked track for inclusion of a best of I'm going to put up on mix cloud once everything is done and dusted.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well I got two CDs so I'm going to be greedy and have one from each. From CD1 I already knew Water Fountain by tUnE yArDs but the best thing new to me (by a mile) was Had to Hear by Real Estate. Off CD2 It was (just) Red Fox by James Yorkston with honourable mentions to Shellac and Vesssel. I'm typing now because I'll change my mind again tomorrow!

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Well I got two CDs so I'm going to be greedy and have one from each. From CD1 I already knew Water Fountain by tUnE yArDs but the best thing new to me (by a mile) was Had to Hear by Real Estate. Off CD2 It was (just) Red Fox by James Yorkston with honourable mentions to Shellac and Vesssel. I'm typing now because I'll change my mind again tomorrow!
I have nominated one already but taking a lead (as you were kind enough to send 2 CDs) I am going to nominate The Bells (Blue Potential Version) – Jeff Mills with Montpellier Philharmonic Orchestra to make sure no-one misses out.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've genuinely got no idea who my santa is, so I would ask you to reveal yourself.

I'd also urge those who haven't reviewed to do so, it's half the fun.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
I'm returning to Paris on Sunday, hope to find my CD in my mailbox along with the usual stash of takeaway pizza menus!

Michelle777

Jan 2, 2015
I'm reviewing now. Excellent job Santa.

still any room for me
o.png

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
CD 1, the CD's are divided into nice and naughty. CD 1 was nice. Great effort santa, review of CD 2 to follow tomorrow.

Let The Music Play (Groove Rider Mix) - Shannon
Really liked it post disco/ pre house. Good vocal, clearly Inner City et al... were having a big listen. Are my ears deceiving me or is there a Stones sample in there?

Don Rendell - Manumission
Clearly I've been overlooking British jazz, though this is massively influenced by Miles. Anyone who likes harder or free jazz is going to get a lot from this. As you expect from the style the playing is impeccable. It's also the kind of track that just gets better from repeat listens. Sometimes this sort of gear gets lost in its own virtuosity but there's a real thread here, full of hooks (though they don't last for long.)

OnFlow - Solar Fields
This track has a virtually perfect feel for dynamics. Starts off ambient, then hits a 4/4 into minimal techno, another time change and goes soundtracky. Some lovely synth washes and blips and blops all over it. For some reason it reminded me of a more grown up **** Buttons.

When The Night Kills The Day - Lauren Pritchard
I do like the little keyboard riff that crops up throughout the song. Not much else though. A bit oversung I thought, too heavily produced, wants to be bombastic comes off sounding a bit naff. I'd like to hear this girl untreated with an accoustic, I reckon she'd be great.

Gimme Shelter - Ruth Copeland
You know what, I normally can't be arsed with covers. What an idiot. Joplin soundalike sings classic Stones song backed by Parliament? What's not to like.... Outstanding.
I reckon that's better than the original - Is the rest of the album up to this standard?

Babes - Mr B (Da Natural Talent)
Soul sample, hip-hop clever vocal sample - a bit grimey/ garagey. Rapper's got great flow. The sampled female moan is on a clever/ slightly uncomfortable balance. All in all a really smart track that gets better with repeat listens, some really complex production is executed flawlessly. Any more info?

Careful With That Axe, Eugene - Nick Turner of Hawkwind
It's a Pink Floyd cover, pretty faithful to the original with nice flutes for a restrained first half then breaks into a bizarre comibination of Blue Monday and The Doctor Who theme. Didn't do much for me.

HHCK Blues - the Graham Bond Organisation
Skronking sax, a lot less smooth than the Don Rendell track, like a kind of vocal-less blues jazz. Recorded live but again the playing is superb, the double bass is absoluely all over the place, really powerful. Loved it, built and built and built.

Stranger To My Happyness - Sharon Jones and The Dap Kings
Look, I'm not normally one for nostaliga but I can't argue that these guys don't do that Motown funk/ soul r&b very well and there aren't too many others about now that do. Rollicks along at some pace, great call and response vocals and the lead singer is beyond reproach. A brilliant track. (The only track on this side I'd heard before.)

John 3:16 - Sean Jones
Total change of pace to a trumpet led lounge jazz. Great player, nice vibe even if it wasn't completely my thing. The keys were pretty spacey as well.

Drivin' Me Wild - Common (ft. Lily Allen)
I've always had a bit of soft spot for Lily and her voice and I suprised myself how much I liked this track. Love the production, the background voice and the snare sound in particular. Really tightly organised, well written catchy song, not the sort of thing I'd normally listen to.

Fat Old Sun (Live) - David Gilmour
I'm sure this is plenty of people's favourite song, nice tune, massive solo. Not mine though, a little bit "lighters in the air" for me. I've never seen completely eye to eye with DG's voice it has to be said.

Feel free to guess my Santa, I have no idea whatsoever. The other CD is hard rock/ heavy metal with an equally impressive as range of styles and eras.

DavePage

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I think I have had two failed guesses so now going for [MENTION=15311]The Buttery Biscuit Base[/MENTION]. I seem to be guessing based on who I can be certain it is not!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
CD 2

Kick Out The Jams - Bad Brains and Henry Rollins
Toe tapping but extraneous cover of the MC5 classic.

Baphomet - Angelwitch
An all time classic of NWOBHM, like a mix between Iron Maiden and Venom. Massively influential on the Bay Area thrash scene and Metallica and Slayer in particular. Was headbanging to the crazy outro.

Auswartsspiel - Die Toten Hosen
Over the top Power/ trad metal is totally not my thing. This was like aural torture. Luckily it was short.

Breadfan - Budgie
A song I know from the Metallica cover mainly, unheralded classic. Awesome riff, distressed production, super Dio-esque vocal. Don't remember the restrained bridge, it's really cute in a Planet Caravan kind of way.

Scrapin The Resin - Raging Speedhorn
I'm pretty sure I saw Raging Speedhorn back around 2000. This song is a massive hardcore tune. A riff that demolishes everything in sight and a 2 blokes screaming so hard you can feel the veins in their heads bulging.

Then the monster slam dance breakdown. I was always a bit scared of that bit, it's why I stuck to black metal, didn't want to get hurt in that nasty pit.

60 Units (I'm Still Standin') - Snakebite
"Hello is that Snakebite?" "This is Pantera's lawyers, come on now chaps, play the game."
Still if you are going to rip off a band make it good one and do it well. Complete headbanger, stuffed full of killer riffs.

Up Yours! - Edgar Broughton Band
A really lovely little 3 minute melodic rock song. Reminded me of the less experimental side of Beefheart snuggling up to Deep Purple.

Unidentified Flying Object - UFO
Nice little instrumental interlude, I love space noises as well.

Piss Factory - Patti Smith
A Patti Smith B-Side that I hadn't heard. Predictably amazing.

Angels Lie - Silas
Didn't really get on with this, sounded a bit metal by numbers, similar to the Snakebite track with some FNM esque clean vocals. All over the place but not in a good way, had good bits but didn't equal the sum of its parts.

Du Hast - Rammstein
It's 1998 and I'm in the Gloucester drinking snakebite watching people headbanging to this one. I never really got this song then and it hasn't aged all that well.

Sentanced Morning - Krisiun
This is the proper gear. Thrashy death metal, cookie monster vocals, blast beats, ridiculous solos, mountainous riffs. I'm not sure I could listen to a whole record of this nowadays but it blew the cobwebs out.

Everyday is Halloween - Ministry
The point where early Swans and Depeche Mode met, I was always more of a NIN man myself but like Ministry and this track is nice slab of industrial rock.

Knockout Dragout - Joe Satriani, Kid Rock and Sammy Hagar
Short, snappy, predicatable hard rock affair, you expect from the protagonists. Would make a good WWE entry theme for some barroom brawler type.

Track 15
An audio recollection of my favourite Brighton moment - GOSBS and Cullip parading the trophy after the playoff final win in Cardiff audio - lovely touch.

My fave from the 2 CD's was Ruth Copeland - Gimme Shelter.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
CD 1, the CD's are divided into nice and naughty. CD 1 was nice. Great effort santa, review of CD 2 to follow tomorrow.

Let The Music Play (Groove Rider Mix) - Shannon
Really liked it post disco/ pre house. Good vocal, clearly Inner City et al... were having a big listen. Are my ears deceiving me or is there a Stones sample in there?

Don Rendell - Manumission
Clearly I've been overlooking British jazz, though this is massively influenced by Miles. Anyone who likes harder or free jazz is going to get a lot from this. As you expect from the style the playing is impeccable. It's also the kind of track that just gets better from repeat listens. Sometimes this sort of gear gets lost in its own virtuosity but there's a real thread here, full of hooks (though they don't last for long.)

OnFlow - Solar Fields
This track has a virtually perfect feel for dynamics. Starts off ambient, then hits a 4/4 into minimal techno, another time change and goes soundtracky. Some lovely synth washes and blips and blops all over it. For some reason it reminded me of a more grown up **** Buttons.

When The Night Kills The Day - Lauren Pritchard
I do like the little keyboard riff that crops up throughout the song. Not much else though. A bit oversung I thought, too heavily produced, wants to be bombastic comes off sounding a bit naff. I'd like to hear this girl untreated with an accoustic, I reckon she'd be great.

Gimme Shelter - Ruth Copeland
You know what, I normally can't be arsed with covers. What an idiot. Joplin soundalike sings classic Stones song backed by Parliament? What's not to like.... Outstanding.
I reckon that's better than the original - Is the rest of the album up to this standard?

Babes - Mr B (Da Natural Talent)
Soul sample, hip-hop clever vocal sample - a bit grimey/ garagey. Rapper's got great flow. The sampled female moan is on a clever/ slightly uncomfortable balance. All in all a really smart track that gets better with repeat listens, some really complex production is executed flawlessly. Any more info?

Careful With That Axe, Eugene - Nick Turner of Hawkwind
It's a Pink Floyd cover, pretty faithful to the original with nice flutes for a restrained first half then breaks into a bizarre comibination of Blue Monday and The Doctor Who theme. Didn't do much for me.

HHCK Blues - the Graham Bond Organisation
Skronking sax, a lot less smooth than the Don Rendell track, like a kind of vocal-less blues jazz. Recorded live but again the playing is superb, the double bass is absoluely all over the place, really powerful. Loved it, built and built and built.

Stranger To My Happyness - Sharon Jones and The Dap Kings
Look, I'm not normally one for nostaliga but I can't argue that these guys don't do that Motown funk/ soul r&b very well and there aren't too many others about now that do. Rollicks along at some pace, great call and response vocals and the lead singer is beyond reproach. A brilliant track. (The only track on this side I'd heard before.)

John 3:16 - Sean Jones
Total change of pace to a trumpet led lounge jazz. Great player, nice vibe even if it wasn't completely my thing. The keys were pretty spacey as well.

Drivin' Me Wild - Common (ft. Lily Allen)
I've always had a bit of soft spot for Lily and her voice and I suprised myself how much I liked this track. Love the production, the background voice and the snare sound in particular. Really tightly organised, well written catchy song, not the sort of thing I'd normally listen to.

Fat Old Sun (Live) - David Gilmour
I'm sure this is plenty of people's favourite song, nice tune, massive solo. Not mine though, a little bit "lighters in the air" for me. I've never seen completely eye to eye with DG's voice it has to be said.

Feel free to guess my Santa, I have no idea whatsoever. The other CD is hard rock/ heavy metal with an equally impressive as range of styles and eras.

CD 2

Kick Out The Jams - Bad Brains and Henry Rollins
Toe tapping but extraneous cover of the MC5 classic.

Baphomet - Angelwitch
An all time classic of NWOBHM, like a mix between Iron Maiden and Venom. Massively influential on the Bay Area thrash scene and Metallica and Slayer in particular. Was headbanging to the crazy outro.

Auswartsspiel - Die Toten Hosen
Over the top Power/ trad metal is totally not my thing. This was like aural torture. Luckily it was short.

Breadfan - Budgie
A song I know from the Metallica cover mainly, unheralded classic. Awesome riff, distressed production, super Dio-esque vocal. Don't remember the restrained bridge, it's really cute in a Planet Caravan kind of way.

Scrapin The Resin - Raging Speedhorn
I'm pretty sure I saw Raging Speedhorn back around 2000. This song is a massive hardcore tune. A riff that demolishes everything in sight and a 2 blokes screaming so hard you can feel the veins in their heads bulging.

Then the monster slam dance breakdown. I was always a bit scared of that bit, it's why I stuck to black metal, didn't want to get hurt in that nasty pit.

60 Units (I'm Still Standin') - Snakebite
"Hello is that Snakebite?" "This is Pantera's lawyers, come on now chaps, play the game."
Still if you are going to rip off a band make it good one and do it well. Complete headbanger, stuffed full of killer riffs.

Up Yours! - Edgar Broughton Band
A really lovely little 3 minute melodic rock song. Reminded me of the less experimental side of Beefheart snuggling up to Deep Purple.

Unidentified Flying Object - UFO
Nice little instrumental interlude, I love space noises as well.

Piss Factory - Patti Smith
A Patti Smith B-Side that I hadn't heard. Predictably amazing.

Angels Lie - Silas
Didn't really get on with this, sounded a bit metal by numbers, similar to the Snakebite track with some FNM esque clean vocals. All over the place but not in a good way, had good bits but didn't equal the sum of its parts.

Du Hast - Rammstein
It's 1998 and I'm in the Gloucester drinking snakebite watching people headbanging to this one. I never really got this song then and it hasn't aged all that well.

Sentanced Morning - Krisiun
This is the proper gear. Thrashy death metal, cookie monster vocals, blast beats, ridiculous solos, mountainous riffs. I'm not sure I could listen to a whole record of this nowadays but it blew the cobwebs out.

Everyday is Halloween - Ministry
The point where early Swans and Depeche Mode met, I was always more of a NIN man myself but like Ministry and this track is nice slab of industrial rock.

Knockout Dragout - Joe Satriani, Kid Rock and Sammy Hagar
Short, snappy, predicatable hard rock affair, you expect from the protagonists. Would make a good WWE entry theme for some barroom brawler type.

Track 15
An audio recollection of my favourite Brighton moment - GOSBS and Cullip parading the trophy after the playoff final win in Cardiff audio - lovely touch.

My fave from the 2 CD's was Ruth Copeland - Gimme Shelter.

I will hold my hand up to this one. Some quick comments:

Don Rendell - a big thank you to my Dad for my love of the Albion and British Jazz. There is so obviously a Miles influence, I nearly included the "So What" cover from the same album. My Dad is also referenced by the uncredited opening track which is used for Spedeworth's Saloon Stock Cars.
Ruth Copeland - heard this on a compilation and brought both of her albums as a result. This is the stand-out track by some margin
Mr B - a sneaky one from me. This is my stepson, who about 5 years ago recorded an album's worth of stuff like this in his bedroom, and I am really proud of it.
Nik Turner - I wanted to include a Hawkwind track as they are at #1 and #2 in my all-time favourite gigs, but was worried their stuff would be too familiar so opted for a cover instead.
Graham Bond - a reappearance (his Alto features on the Don Rendell track). The song is by the bass player: Jack Bruce.
Common and Lily Allen - I wanted to include Lily as I love that voice and went for this slightly different and less obvious track.
Dave Gilmour - I adore Floyd (hence their double appearance). This is a tribute to the power of NSC. This is from the Live in Gdansk album which I bought directly as a result of a recommendation on a funeral song thread. All my funeral songs are Floyd and Fat Old Sun is one of them.
Angelwitch - the band I have seen the most times.
Die Toten Hosen - for my fellow Albion season ticket holder who comes from Dusseldorf. Die Toten Hosen were their shirt sponsors.
Snakebite - this is an early song and unashamedly Pantera (on youtube I am somewhere in the audience at the Swan and Mitre). They are now a signed band called Stoneghost and a bit less Pantera like.
Silas - still unsigned, this is from their first EP. Better live.
Track 15 - I love this and still feel the tingle when GOSBS starts

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I’m going for Tiny,
A) because I have no real way of knowing,
B) was on my short list for whatever reason,
C) I can’t stand being responsible for the tears, albeit indirectly….Thank You hans kraay fan club!!

Thank You whoever it was, and yes nice handwriting.

Dave, I would love to say I was the kind NSCer, but unfortunately I'm not. Maybe Joey Jo Jo??

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Last guess then I give in. Is my Santa [MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION] ? I am enjoying my CD anyway. Review to follow...

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Last guess then I give in. Is my Santa [MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION] ? I am enjoying my CD anyway. Review to follow...

I haven't confirmed or denied yet. What you have to do is to post the tracklisting then [MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION] has to give his opinion and then I'll say if it was me or not.

He'll get upset if you don't let him have a guess.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here