Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Matt Dawson - the biggest tool in sport?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Apparently an absolute monster bellend, even when not in the limelight. Bit of a David Brent character

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Can't stand Dawson or Sue licking his a**e. But love "Tuffers" on the show so I just get past it.

Regarding supporting other English sides, I'd never support Man Utd, Palace or Chelski in Europe. Otherwise, I'm game.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Honestly, according to older people (60+) it did used to be mainly friendly. My friend moved south to London in 1970 and it was still good then, but admittedly when he moved back in 200? (Can't remember the exact year) he said it wasn't the same.

Did you know they used to play the reserve derby on the same day as the 1st team one? If Liverpool were playing Everton at Anfield, then Everton reserves would be at home to Liverpool reserves at Goodison. If you couldn't get a ticket for the main match you went to the reserve one! It was quite funny because the cheers from the crowd would be based around radio reports from the main game, and would bear no resemblance to the patterns of play in the reserve match!

Don't know when they stopped that, but I'm guessing it was decades ago.

Oh, I don’t disagree. The old boys were far more friendly towards each other...mind you, the same could be said about any rival teams from the same area or town.

My other half’s dad was a spurs reserve goalie in the 1960s and would tell tales of all the Arsenal and Spurs fans sitting with their mates of the other persuasion in the stands.

It all went wrong in the 1970s, 80s and 90s. Rivalry became kicking the shit out of each other.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Can't stand Dawson or Sue licking his a**e. But love "Tuffers" on the show so I just get past it.

Regarding supporting other English sides, I'd never support Man Utd, Palace or Chelski in Europe. Otherwise, I'm game.

I wouldn’t worry about Palace in Europe. Unless you see one of their clown suited bellends by the pool in Tenerife that is.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Can't stand Dawson, he's awful when he tries to co commentate on his own sport and dreadful on Question of Sport.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Not unique as Michael Palin supports both Wednesday and United. But he most definitely is not a tool. I guess it is not that bizarre for someone who just follows the sport rather than a fan.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Beaumont/Hughes was the golden age of AQOS (I was too young for Cliff Morgan/Henry Cooper)
Parrott/McCoist was worse.
Dawson/Tuffnell = killmenowplease

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was thinking how I really would struggle if they ever played Portsmouth in a cup final. But actually I'd love us to win a trophy in the modern era before them, so I'd probably begrudgingly "support" the skate muppets for that one.

Would you even think about watching a Palace vs Pompey final? I’d almost certainly be washing my hair that afternoon.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Having spent my schooldays in Liverpool in the 70s and 80s I don't remember much "friendly rivalry" on Derby day.

Sure there's red and blue in families, workplaces and whatnot but there was always a load of ag on match days. Most of the fights in my school were related to Everton/Liverpool spats and the two sets of fans had very well defined drinking holes where "the other lot" dare not tread.

It's not as bad as Rangers / Celtic but it could get pretty hairy around town on the evening after a game.

liverpool ? or birkenhead you wool :lolol:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
its never been a friendly rivalry
That's not quite true. I know tons of fans from both sides who usually, at most, just dislike the other lot. But so many families are split that the hatred usually wasn't there. I've been at matches where there were spatterings of opposing fans in various parts of the ground. There usually wasn't much bother. And as I said earlier, I've been in the Gwladys Street stand on derby day, there were Liverpool fans openly celebrating without any bother. That was the mid nineties and I think things have deteriorated since then.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
If Palace were in an international match, I would support them as I would always support an English team against Johnny Foreigner. Keep your rivalries in life like family squabbles, squabble in the family by stand by all family members against outsiders.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He is an absolute tool and has got an incredibly punchable face but that is quite a title to bestow on him when you think the world of sport also includes great competition in Grade A CJTC's like David Warner, Kevin Pietersen, Joey Barton and Mark Hughes.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
He is an absolute tool and has got an incredibly punchable face but that is quite a title to bestow on him when you think the world of sport also includes great competition in Grade A CJTC's like David Warner, Kevin Pietersen, Joey Barton and Mark Hughes.

I think I watched one episode of QoS in the 1980s and haven't been tempted since.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here