Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Could Froome end up inadvertently fecking this Giro up for Simon Yates and in so doing let Tom D in through the back door?

I don't think so, Yates will only lose this if he is genuinely fading and Dumoulin will attack/maintain a very high pace if that's the case.

Tommorow's stage does not look like one that suits someone struggling...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hi all. I cycled up Ditchling Beacon for the first time last weekend and am very proud of myself.

That is all.

Chapeau!

Can't say I've ever enjoyed it. The fastest I ever did it was when I thought I was at the top and went for it only to realise I was at that false summit bend – which I've seen the dozen or so times I've done it before, but still fell for it. Still, it forced a decent time out of me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gotta count the bollards.
If I remember rightly there are 19 on the last bend taking you to the top.

My last L2B I was behind a girl who was all over the place and finally put her foot down.
She must have been at number 15, I was gutted for her but just couldn't get close enough to tell her she was so close to the top.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Photo taken on Wednesday up the Colle delle Finestre.

Apparently the gravel & dirt is so soft and wet at the moment because of the snow that its like riding through treacle.

Could be fun today...

Attachments

• FINSTRE.jpg
    FINSTRE.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 73

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Photo taken on Wednesday up the Colle delle Finestre.

Apparently the gravel & dirt is so soft and wet at the moment because of the snow that its like riding through treacle.

Could be fun today...

Hmm, you would think those conditions suit Dumoulin more so than Yates, or the other lightweight climbers?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hmm, you would think those conditions suit Dumoulin more so than Yates, or the other lightweight climbers?

Seated would seem to be key, yes. Imagine Bertie trying to trying to ride up it!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]999777157139312640[/tweet]

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Chapeau!

Can't say I've ever enjoyed it. The fastest I ever did it was when I thought I was at the top and went for it only to realise I was at that false summit bend – which I've seen the dozen or so times I've done it before, but still fell for it. Still, it forced a decent time out of me.

Thanks! I was pleased to have done it. Nice and slow, head down, keep the pedals moving. I'd driven up it a million times so was well aware of the false dawn, though weirdly seeing that view spring up on my left was a spur to keep on going for the final bit.

Is this the place to ask you more experienced people for your favourite road routes around Brighton? I'm on the hunt for nice 30-50 milers, preferably circular and with decent pubs. Apologies if this has been asked before in this thread.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks! I was pleased to have done it. Nice and slow, head down, keep the pedals moving. I'd driven up it a million times so was well aware of the false dawn, though weirdly seeing that view spring up on my left was a spur to keep on going for the final bit.

Is this the place to ask you more experienced people for your favourite road routes around Brighton? I'm on the hunt for nice 30-50 milers, preferably circular and with decent pubs. Apologies if this has been asked before in this thread.
Stand facing south and turn right, you'll be in Best Sussex in no time!

I'll hazard a guess, those in bEast Sussex may have other ideas but a 30 to 50 mile circular Brighton route will mean that wasn't your last time up Ditchling Beacon.

The riding around Plumpton, Ditching is good.
Basically draw a rectangle on a map from the Ditchling ridge up to Burgess Hill, come out as far as Coombes (Lancing College) to the west and pick a point in beast Sussex.

Chapeau again for your maiden ascent of the Beacon, what are you riding?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Holy shit!

Is Froome for real? Going solo from 80km out.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I tend to end up a bit to the West with Devils Dyke, Truslers Hill Lane, Twineham Lane, Wineham, Ashurst, Nuthurst, Copsale, Southwater etc. So usually heading north up one of these then coming back down in a loop, normally finishing down Coombs which Stat mentioned. There is the Royal Oak on Wineham Lane, The Wheatsheaf on Hampshire Hill. In fact there are so many nice Sussex pubs, so little time to drink in them...:)

Heading north out of Brighton, then taking in Ardingly is really nice too, then coming back you do Plumpton or one of those routes, Wivelsfield Green, Chailey etc.

Searching Strava is good. If you search for say Brighton Loop, or East Sussex loop, it will give you lots of activities other people have done. I've often picked one then followed it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I tend to end up a bit to the West with Devils Dyke, Truslers Hill Lane, Twineham Lane, Wineham, Ashurst, Nuthurst, Copsale, Southwater etc. So usually heading north up one of these then coming back down in a loop, normally finishing down Coombs which Stat mentioned. There is the Royal Oak on Wineham Lane, The Wheatsheaf on Hampshire Hill. In fact there are so many nice Sussex pubs, so little time to drink in them...:)

Heading north out of Brighton, then taking in Ardingly is really nice too, then coming back you do Plumpton or one of those routes, Wivelsfield Green, Chailey etc.

Searching Strava is good. If you search for say Brighton Loop, or East Sussex loop, it will give you lots of activities other people have done. I've often picked one then followed it.

Is either Twineham or Wineham still being seriously dug up at the little bridge?
Great riding with the road closed but puncturetastic through the works.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Stand facing south and turn right, you'll be in Best Sussex in no time!

I'll hazard a guess, those in bEast Sussex may have other ideas but a 30 to 50 mile circular Brighton route will mean that wasn't your last time up Ditchling Beacon.

The riding around Plumpton, Ditching is good.
Basically draw a rectangle on a map from the Ditchling ridge up to Burgess Hill, come out as far as Coombes (Lancing College) to the west and pick a point in beast Sussex.

Chapeau again for your maiden ascent of the Beacon, what are you riding?

Cheers.

I'm on a Giant Contend, my first proper bike which I bought a couple of months ago after my last one (£50 from Cranks) got nicked. I absolutely love it.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This is mental! Next 75 km just going to be enthralling. Yates looks like losing a podium even at this point...:eek:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here