Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale,,,,,,

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Bottled coming out for the first as he was dwelling on getting away with clattering a player beforehand. Totally at fault for both goals for me and needs to be dropped.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Stockdale is being exposed by our defence and in particular our fullbacks playing a higher line, i dont think he's a bad keeper but certainly isnt one of the best either, I would say he is fairly average for this division.

Graeme Smith anyone? Now that was the worst keeper I've ever seen in an Albion jersey!!

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Whoever took the time and effort to come up with this Rep comment, well done mate. Genius!

tosser.JPG

:clap:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
David Stockdale has spent most of his career as a number 2 goalkeeper in more ways than one. It was optimistic in the extreme to expect he would be a suitable replacement for Tomasz Kuszczak. On the evidence so far, Brighton have massively traded down in that position.

Who else should we have signed then? Kuszczak and/or his agent spent most of last season talking about playing in the prem one way or another. This is the player that is currently plying his trade for ??????

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Stockdale is being exposed by our defence and in particular our fullbacks playing a higher line, i dont think he's a bad keeper but certainly isnt one of the best either, I would say he is fairly average for this division.

Graeme Smith anyone? Now that was the worst keeper I've ever seen in an Albion jersey!!

Stockdale may well be getting exposed by the defence but that is no excuse for the errors he keeps making-two more today, two goals. Goalkeepers are paid to stop shots, catch the ball and push awkward shots away from the attackers. That's a simple summation of what a keeper has to do and Stockdale is not doing any of them at the moment.

I'm beginning to see why Fulham didn't put up too much of a fight to keep him

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Bottled coming out for the first as he was dwelling on getting away with clattering a player beforehand. Totally at fault for both goals for me and needs to be dropped.

Thought I'd quote this as an example of the ludicrous witch hunt being faced by Stockdale at the moment from people who call themselves fans.

The first goal was the fault of Greer giving the ball away (although he was clearly having his shirt pulled at the time which D'Urso missed) and that left us exposed, especially once Dunk played them all onside.

The second goal he did all he could to keep out the first shot. If people didn't want to scapegoat Stockdale, they might ask why Adomah got two shots in without any pressure on him but that would not fit with the witch hunt.

On another note, I would give our fans 0 out of 10 yesterday. People were moaning from about the first minute around me at the ground and the so called fans on here (this post being a good example) are clueless. It's pathetic. Why not support your team?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Who else should we have signed then? Kuszczak and/or his agent spent most of last season talking about playing in the prem one way or another. This is the player that is currently plying his trade for ??????

Kieran Westwood who went to Sheff Wed or Henderson who went to Charlton and even paying higher wages would have been better signing either of them than spending £1m on a keeper who is ,no better than we have in Ankergren, who makes similar mistakes but does occassionally stop shots.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

correct answer

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Disagree, he's diving slightly backwards with the ball near the line next to the post - his hands are below him as he dives and he may have been moving in the opposite direction before the dive, the option to push it round the post was not there, there was also an opposing player on that side even if he did want to push it that way. Therefore he has tried to cushion it so the ball stays near him so either he can collect after recovering from his dive or a defender who should be goal side can deal with it, the fact that the player who made the initial shot was able to run through and put the rebound away says more about our static defence than the keeper.

I've now seen the highlights and rewound them again and again. The ball is in front of him, he should have pushed it around the post. You may not want to accept he is to blame, and that's your right. But as far as I can see, as a goalkeeper, as a fan, that was a basic goal keeping error.

That's not the only problem, of course, they cut through our team, and no one stopped them getting into the box, but a basic textbook save puts that out for a corner. He should have done better.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The basic problem that people seem to be missing is that yes Greer was at fault for the first goal but having spread him self on the ground he should have made some attempt to to get the ball and for the 2nd should have turned the ball around for a corner if he couldnt hold it, all basics.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Thought I'd quote this as an example of the ludicrous witch hunt being faced by Stockdale at the moment from people who call themselves fans.

The first goal was the fault of Greer giving the ball away (although he was clearly having his shirt pulled at the time which D'Urso missed) and that left us exposed, especially once Dunk played them all onside.

The second goal he did all he could to keep out the first shot. If people didn't want to scapegoat Stockdale, they might ask why Adomah got two shots in without any pressure on him but that would not fit with the witch hunt.

On another note, I would give our fans 0 out of 10 yesterday. People were moaning from about the first minute around me at the ground and the so called fans on here (this post being a good example) are clueless. It's pathetic. Why not support your team?

If that was his best attempting to keep the ball out for their second, he's simply not very good then. 100% at fault. I coach goalkeepers and I for one would never teach them to push the ball back into play.

What's all this shit about fans, I've watched us for over 40 years, the team were shit yesterday and all the fans who climbed up to the wsu comfortably put more effort in than some of those in blue and white on the pitch. Give something for the supporters to get behind and they will. It's sad if some are blaming our fans in anyway for the crap we are watching the buck stops with the whole team inc the management.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I've now seen the highlights and rewound them again and again. The ball is in front of him, he should have pushed it around the post. You may not want to accept he is to blame, and that's your right. But as far as I can see, as a goalkeeper, as a fan, that was a basic goal keeping error.

That's not the only problem, of course, they cut through our team, and no one stopped them getting into the box, but a basic textbook save puts that out for a corner. He should have done better.

I've now watched the highlights and he has actually parried it to the side rather than straight out because the forward clips it in from a fairly acute angle. The original shot was hit first time at speed and Stockdale has had to make a quick reaction save, he is still diving slightly backwards and it is near to the post, at that speed it is not always possible to bend your wrists to the angle where you want the ball to go. Obviously you are such a superior keeper who can do this all the time whatever the weight and speed of the shot, I can't and when I need to parry I push to the side which is exactly what Stockdale did.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
The basic problem that people seem to be missing is that yes Greer was at fault for the first goal but having spread him self on the ground he should have made some attempt to to get the ball and for the 2nd should have turned the ball around for a corner if he couldnt hold it, all basics.

The basic problem is that you do not understanding goalkeeping. I answered this quite a while back which you seem to have decided to ignore like you usually do when things don't fit into your viewpoint.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
K

The second goal he did all he could to keep out the first shot. If people didn't want to scapegoat Stockdale, they might ask why Adomah got two shots in without any pressure on him but that would not fit with the witch hunt

I think the fact that he cost a million, has dropped clangers and hasn't had a MOM type performance all contribute. I'm not sure I'd blame him too much for either goal but I do think that he is a very average keeper on what I have seen. Doesn't help that everytime we concede we are on the back foot because our forwards are useless at the moment.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The basic problem is that you do not understanding goalkeeping. I answered this quite a while back which you seem to have decided to ignore like you usually do when things don't fit into your viewpoint.

I cannot accept this as I played in goal, many years ago granted and people who now coach goalkeepers agree about his mistakes but you seem to know better than all of these.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here