Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
did you miss the " the service is shit" bit? is the Seaford service better on strike days, the passengers on the buses praising the unions for their stand prehaps? if you want to join with THPP and the RMT that the public is fully behind the strike action go ahead, i havent heard anyone outside this forum in favour of the action.

The Seaford service was non existent, strike or no strike, as were a lot of the Portsmouth coast trains. Yes, I have heard people outside of this forum for the union's actions.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Then you REALLY haven't been listening.

we've gone here before. you're a driver, so may well hear more view and hear positive ones. im my admitedly smaller one, people dont support the union. maybe im wrong and THPP is right and there is wide spread public support, but there is no evidence for it.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
we've gone here before. you're a driver, so may well hear more view and hear positive ones. im my admitedly smaller one, people dont support the union. maybe im wrong and THPP is right and there is wide spread public support, but there is no evidence for it.

There was a pretty huge Twitter backlash when Southern tried to pin everything on the Union last week.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
There was a pretty huge Twitter backlash when Southern tried to pin everything on the Union last week.

It is possible to support neither party ..... which I suspect is the position of many commuters. Personally, if I was a commuter, by now I would have lynched the odd Southern executive and pushed some conductors onto the live rail. Southern, the RMT and the strikers are all pathetic, brainless CJTC's. Time to rid the network of them all.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Ooh! Haywards Heath on the news. Waitrose is really coming on although it should be with what seems the entire building trade working on it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
It is possible to support neither party ..... which I suspect is the position of many commuters. Personally, if I was a commuter, by now I would have lynched the odd Southern executive and pushed some conductors onto the live rail. Southern, the RMT and the strikers are all pathetic, brainless CJTC's. Time to rid the network of them all.

I think you better delete these comments unless you want to get NSC and yourself in a lot of bother

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You think advocating violence is ok then ?

Ah, the good old twisting of words ! And you have the
cheek to accuse Southern of that ! Firstly I said "if I were a commuter" - I'm not. Secondly where have I advocated violence ? I've said how I would feel. I've not encouraged anyone to go and take the actions I'd feel like taking. BUT the pathetic action by the RMT and the conductors AND the utterly pathetic service from Southern has cost people their jobs and valuable time with their families so they should expect a backlash.

So if a disabled person requires assistance on-board or at either station during scenario 2 what should they do? Are Southern going to advise them to get another train, bearing in mind they've required 24 hours advance notice of the trains such a passenger intended to catch? If so, how?

How does a wheelchair bound person travel from Crowborough, Eridge, Ashurst, Edenbridge Town and I'm sure many other smaller stations across the network now?

Convenient excuse from the union that one....just like DOO being unsafe.

I'm not familiar with the facilities available at these stations for the disabled cohort you mention; my underlying point is about the treatment by Southern of all disabled passengers/customers ("all" being as defined in the current legislation) both at the station(s) and on board their DOO service which, as proposed, will seemingly have no passenger accessible staff on board who are trained for the situations that could arise.
My nearest SASTA station, Billingshurst, is unmanned after the ticket office closes around mid-day and has ramped wheelchair to the road from both platforms; I have not witnessed anyone trying to disembark at Billingshurst with a wheelchair.
Next nearest is Farncombe (SWT); as Billingshurst, the station is unmanned from early afternoon and both platforms have ramped access to the road. SWT train guards will see you off/on the train via a portable ramp if needed and ensure you're ok before departing. I've also witnessed one guard on the route dealing with a cancer patient on chemo who had developed a fever - paramedic ambulance crew were at the coach stopping point when the train pulled into Guildford station, approx 5 mins from the cancer unit at the Royal Surrey County Hospital.

"Definition of disability under the Equality Act 2010"

You’re disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities.

What ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ mean

‘substantial’ is more than minor or trivial, eg it takes much longer than it usually would to complete a daily task like getting dressed

‘long-term’ means 12 months or more, eg a breathing condition that develops as a result of a lung infection

There are special rules about recurring or fluctuating conditions, eg arthritis.

Progressive conditions

A progressive condition is one that gets worse over time. People with progressive conditions can be classed as disabled.

However, you automatically meet the disability definition under the Equality Act 2010 from the day you’re diagnosed with HIV infection, cancer or multiple sclerosis.

Jul 7, 2003
Neither Mick Cash or his sidekick Paul Cox come across well in interviews. It might be the Scottish accent but they come across as aggressive every time they are interviewed which isn't helping their cause - especially with Horton and his spin team in full flow.

If there is one thing the RMT need to think about in future, it is getting either decent media training for their leaders or appointing official spokespeople to speak on their behalf.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Neither Mick Cash or his sidekick Paul Cox come across well in interviews. It might be the Scottish accent but they come across as aggressive every time they are interviewed which isn't helping their cause - especially with Horton and his spin team in full flow.

If there is one thing the RMT need to think about in future, it is getting either decent media training for their leaders or appointing official spokespeople to speak on their behalf.

Actually couldn't agree more.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Ah, the good old twisting of words ! And you have the
cheek to accuse Southern of that ! Firstly I said "if I were a commuter" - I'm not. Secondly where have I advocated violence ? I've said how I would feel. I've not encouraged anyone to go and take the actions I'd feel like taking. BUT the pathetic action by the RMT and the conductors AND the utterly pathetic service from Southern has cost people their jobs and valuable time with their families so they should expect a backlash.

Let's hope one of the members of Southern staff on here don't take offence at your idea of pushing them onto the conductor rail then , if they do then you may have to answer to it

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I risked life and limb on the DOO to London Vic and back today and yesterday.

Would be interesting to see the stats on safety on DOO Btn to London, although sardines I didnt see anyone die. YES I KNOW NOT ALL THE NETWORK IS DOO. But Btn to London is and the luddites wont let trains run without a guard Btn to London....and yet others do run when DOO. **** them. Hope the loss of wages is focusing their minds somewhat. Their union boss will still be TROUSERING pots of cash tho. Ironic name.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I risked life and limb on the DOO to London Vic and back today and yesterday.

Would be interesting to see the stats on safety on DOO Btn to London, although sardines I didnt see anyone die. YES I KNOW NOT ALL THE NETWORK IS DOO. But Btn to London is and the luddites wont let trains run without a guard Btn to London....and yet others do run when DOO. **** them. Hope the loss of wages is focusing their minds somewhat. Their union boss will still be TROUSERING pots of cash tho. Ironic name.
Their wages are covered by union funds so they won't be losing out as long as they support the strike

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here