Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Quite. Clueless people voted leave. What they need to do now is back off, quit moaning and let those who actually have a clue, try and salvage the situation.

High-Horse-09-18-13-400x400.jpg

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
No they don't. Job done.

Only thing Brexit (and UKIP) have to do now is keep up the pressure to make sure the government does what it is democratically required to do.

Morally the UK has to leave the EU, as far as democracy goes, the referendum was irrelevant. The leavers need to realise that the duty of the government, whoever that may be, is to act in the best interests of the country. If it takes a bit longer so be it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hilarious! You've done nothing but moan. This thread is one loooooong whine from the losers.

Could you possibly get a bit more patronising............"Clueless people"..... " What they need to do"..................."let those who actually have a clue"
And "salvage" what "situation".

Why bother asking? All you'll get back is a moan.

Brilliant, chaps! Enjoyed all these!
:laugh:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
50 states with a relatively shared culture, and crucially, a unified economy and political system. The USA and the EU are incomparable.

And incidentally, the 50 states are ONE country.

They were not always one country, and there is as much cultural similarity across the EU as there is across the US, language difference is the issue here.
I like your idea of having a unified economy and political system for Europe though.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Would you rather we were competing as the United States of Europe?

Yes, but as GB is ok.
Would you rather we were competing as England, Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
They were not always one country, and there is as much cultural similarity across the EU as there is across the US, language difference is the issue here.
I like your idea of having a unified economy and political system for Europe though.
No of course they weren't always one country. They became far more unified after a terrible civil war. We don't really want that in Europe do we?

And yes language is perhaps THE major factor. Although I was against further EU integration, it is my view that the piecemeal way in which the Euro was introduced is the major factor in its extraordinary lack of success. Unless success means bringing north and south into conflict....

It has to be all or nothing in terms of political and economic union for it to work and there just isn't sufficient appetite for such a state.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
No of course they weren't always one country. They became far more unified after a terrible civil war. We don't really want that in Europe do we?

And yes language is perhaps THE major factor. Although I was against further EU integration, it is my view that the piecemeal way in which the Euro was introduced is the major factor in its extraordinary lack of success. Unless success means bringing north and south into conflict....

It has to be all or nothing in terms of political and economic union for it to work and there just isn't sufficient appetite for such a state.

No, I don't want war, I want to be unified partly to avoid war, it is more likely to happen in a Europe of separate nations than a united Europe, see history of Europe.

The Confederate states were in the 34 state Union, and left because they were opposed to some of the legislation the Union was coming up with, stuff like the abolition of slavery.

The UK is in the Union, and wants to leave because it is opposed to some of the legislation that the Union is coming up with, stuff like the working time directive.

I agree that the problem in Europe is not too much integration, it is not enough integration. The lack of appetite for that is something that needs working on.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

None of our athletes would ever get in the team.It's easy to imagine the make-up of a Euro team selection board.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
No, I don't want war, I want to be unified partly to avoid war, it is more likely to happen in a Europe of separate nations than a united Europe, see history of Europe.

The Confederate states were in the 34 state Union, and left because they were opposed to some of the legislation the Union was coming up with, stuff like the abolition of slavery.

The UK is in the Union, and wants to leave because it is opposed to some of the legislation that the Union is coming up with, stuff like the working time directive.

I agree that the problem in Europe is not too much integration, it is not enough integration. The lack of appetite for that is something that needs working on.
Drawing a parallel with the USA's reasons for breakup and the UK leaving the EU are weak and a little insulting. However good/bad the working time directive may be, it is not in any way comparable to the issues of slavery.

Funnily enough, the working time directive is NOT by anyone's book (except perhaps yours?) the reason we voted to leave the EU.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here