Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Mike Bailey Principle

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But just think of watching a match for entertainment.

When we had Vicente for example i would have paid double the money.

I know a lot of premier fans will put up with negative football just for the win. I would agree with it if I was a player but as a spectator I like entertainment, even if it does mean we yo yo.

It's worth the gamble IMO.

Isnt 80% of the entertainment value down to getting a result.

D

Deleted member 2719

Isnt 80% of the entertainment value down to getting a result.

Maybe for some but we had some entertaining matches over the years getting draws, i remember coming out thinking, ok we got a draw but we had peppered their goal.
Of course results are important but how many wins can you get away with that are just hard to watch.
I wouldn't want us getting the old Arsenal tag of 'boring, boring Brighton.' just because we want to hang in there for the big time.

Fortunately for the club many fans seem to put up with it nowadays.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The top flight now is a very different animal to that of the early 80s. No live matches and a lack of money in the game meant that gate receipts were vital, consequently relegation wasn't the be all and end it is now.

In addition, there is no expectation that we will trouble the top 6 places and a top ten finish is dreamland territory. The Prem is huge, it's global, the world is watching so it's all about staying up, the 6-pointers are cup finals and taking the scalp of one of the big boys is the icing on the cake.

Exactly, no live matches back then and still the gates plummeted!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Great thread. Currently I believe we have so much more to give and perhaps a little tinkering to do but the game has moved on from the old days.

The oldens these days are checking there heart as much as watching the game. As my mum used to say when in a tense situation “ I’m not going to grow any taller “

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
We are not good enough, and can' afford it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There is a similarity between the Mike Bailey days and now - in both cases we were surviving in a tough division with some bigger and better teams, and were getting some success through wonderfully organised defending. Not pretty - and, tbh, our last three 'one-nil-to-the-Albion's haven't been exactly entertaining, apart from the three points (altough I suppose the traditional hanging on for dear life for the last twenty minutes is exciting in its horrid way!). The difference now is that we have a Chairman and a large number of fans who remember the mistake we made in getting rid of Bailey to get a 'name' in - and won't jump into doing it again. We've learned better.

And OK, I'll 'fess up. I was never calling for Bailey to go, but I was quite pleased and excited when Melia was brought in. Sorry......................

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
This.

Goldstone crowds dimished steadily post 79 promotion. The feelgood factor of countless home wins 1976 to 1979, with up to 33,500, was never the same with the First Division giving an awful lot of losses against simply better teams.

Crowds were high in div 3/2 but few 30+ turn outs and there was a blip back up in that first season in div 1 and yes decline after that.

From 76 - 83
Average per season
15, 20, 25, 22, 24, 19, 18, 14 (thousand)

Via : http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/bha.htm

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
But just think of watching a match for entertainment.

When we had Vicente for example i would have paid double the money.

I know a lot of premier fans will put up with negative football just for the win. I would agree with it if I was a player but as a spectator I like entertainment, even if it does mean we yo yo.

It's worth the gamble IMO.

I really really want to see Brighton playing entertaining football in the premier league. But to do that we have to get through this first 2 or 3 seasons and then build from that base.

Walk before you can run, otherwise you'll fall over and have to get back up again from the championship, and we'll have to do the first two-three years of struggling all over again. I don't think its worth the gamble when patience is whats required. I believe we're building something fantastic at Brighton, I don't want to yo yo

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Exactly, no live matches back then and still the gates plummeted!

They were plummeting everywhere. In 81/82 we had a average of 18k but still the thirteenth biggest crowd in country.
Last season 30,400 - the 14th biggest crowd...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I seem to remember there was a rush for people going to see the stiffs too

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
There is a similarity between the Mike Bailey days and now - in both cases we were surviving in a tough division with some bigger and better teams, and were getting some success through wonderfully organised defending. Not pretty - and, tbh, our last three 'one-nil-to-the-Albion's haven't been exactly entertaining, apart from the three points (altough I suppose the traditional hanging on for dear life for the last twenty minutes is exciting in its horrid way!). The difference now is that we have a Chairman and a large number of fans who remember the mistake we made in getting rid of Bailey to get a 'name' in - and won't jump into doing it again. We've learned better.

And OK, I'll 'fess up. I was never calling for Bailey to go, but I was quite pleased and excited when Melia was brought in. Sorry......................

Wasn't Melia on the staff anyway, perhaps as a scout?

I will admit to being bitterly disappointed. Also cringed at his publicity stunts during the cup run and when he was booted out. Didn't he appear in the North Stand versus massive?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if it has been mentioned. On another thread someone blamed the sacking of Bailey as the reason the club almost went into terminal decline which seems odd bearing in mind, now I might be wrong here, that it was the club that gave players ludicrous 10 year contracts that were not sustainable. Having to support those contracts on the back of falling attendances no doubt contributed to the demise of Bailey. However, was it not the case that the problem was not sacking Bailey but in a cheap appointment of someone who had no worthwhile managerial experience and, as it seemed, was just a puppet for the senior members of the team?

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if it has been mentioned. On another thread someone blamed the sacking of Bailey as the reason the club almost went into terminal decline which seems odd bearing in mind, now I might be wrong here, that it was the club that gave players ludicrous 10 year contracts that were not sustainable. Having to support those contracts on the back of falling attendances no doubt contributed to the demise of Bailey. However, was it not the case that the problem was not sacking Bailey but in a cheap appointment of someone who had no worthwhile managerial experience and, as it seemed, was just a puppet for the senior members of the team?

Harsh but seems very fair. That was the talk in the town at the time.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Blimey - 3 games of winning 1-0 in a row and we've turned into Arsenal and Mike Bailey.
Only a few weeks ago our defence had gone awry and we were generously giving teams 2-0 leads and throwing caution to the wind getting back into the game.
Presumably when we play Man United again we'll be peak Albion, all imperious and scoring half a dozen. Well probably.

or perhaps its all a bit early to judge...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wasn't Melia on the staff anyway, perhaps as a scout?

I will admit to being bitterly disappointed. Also cringed at his publicity stunts during the cup run and when he was booted out. Didn't he appear in the North Stand versus massive?
You may be right - I don't know; I was living in Scotland at the time and my only sources of information on the Albion were newspapers (Scottish editions!) and the radio, plus the occasional visit to the Goldstone when I came south to visit my parents in Sussex - no internet back then, either!
From afar, and with minimal information, I was delighted that a 'name' like the great Liverpool player Jimmy Melia was coming to manage little ole' Brighton to greater heights (and Cup Finals!) And yes, I felt the same way when that other former Liverpool great, Sami Hyypia, arrived....... :facepalm:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Where did the Jimmy Melia appointment actually arise from,as his track record was all most non extant at the time?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here