Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I voted to leave primarily because of the insidious effects of CAP (judging by remarks on this thread, I stand alone among Leavers on here). Here's a good article explaining the problems with CAP and why the government has a great opportunity to put things right ... but probably won't.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/10/brexit-leaving-eu-farming-agriculture

Seems you could be in gold medal position in the NSC "Benefits of Leaving the EU Award", though right now I think you'll be taking home silver and bronze too!!!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Pretty sure that is not true. Off the top of my head Obama got over 50%, so it has happened since the war.
Or are you now going to change the goal posts and claim you didn't mean ww2 and only specific countries? Probably.

What is that scrapping sound? Oh yeah, that IS you moving the goalposts. Knew it would happen.

Heaven forbid ! You knew damn well he was talking about UK governments. Otherwise you could have quoted Putin as having a mandate with over 90% of the vote.

The idea that in a multi-party country using first past the post ( the US only really has two parties so of course there's a greater chance of the winner having 50% plus ) that any party would ever get 50% or more is utter fantasy. So the idea that you don't believe a government has a mandate until this point is .... well ..... stupid. Nothing would ever get done. For starters we wouldn't have the NHS.

It also shows you have no idea how our democracy works. Laws are passed by Parliament - not the government and not the people. To get a law through there has to be a 50% plus majority in the house. Just to remind you, all Brexit bills went through Parliament bar one, so there IS a mandate for what is happening. The hilarious part of it is that it was Gina Miller that ensured Parliament made the decision rather than the government. Of course you keep banging on about the vote only being about leaving, yet remainers have been at great pains to point out that the referendum was only consultative. The people WERE consulted and PARLIAMENT have decided what leave means ..... and passed the laws to carry it out.

I understand that a number of villages are now bidding on you !

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Are you a bit simple? Yes anyone can read it, i never mentioned Sydney or Chichester once.......read it again.......never mentioned.
Now crawl back into the swamp you weaselled out from.
Awaits you playing the victim card for the umpteenth time..............yawn.

Oh heavens. The Pasta semantics stunt once again. I mentioned Sydney which is the capital of News South Wales and you responded that this was the same as invoking Sussex, one capital of which is Chichester.

But you know all this - you are just trying to be clever.

And I don't live in a swamp, I'm not a weasel and I do not play the victim card. Whatever is the matter with you?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Seemed a pretty pointless analogy. How can a country restrict it's own workers from moving freely within itself. Just more made up rubbish. Maybe if he'd used a country the Aussies don't like things might not have been to his liking

As I said it wasn't a perfect analogy but I was talking to Australians so it seemed reasonable to invoke their continent* as an analogy for ours in a discussion about the practical on-the-ground effects of limiting freedom of movement. I am sorry you found it pointless,

* Note to Pastafarian. Yes I do appreciate that Australia is strictly-speaking not a continent but it does represent the great majority of one and I used the word for economy of speech, not because I am a swamp-crawling mentally-deficient weasel. Just thought I'd make that clear.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Job opportunity for NSC Brexiteers! (Bloody hell, what is going on in this country??)

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-being-hired-to-handle-post-brexit-disruption

And here's how to do the job properly

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...7F8590E762C3A1CCD8577F8590E762C3A1C&FORM=VIRE

Guardian (i know, i know) live blog at the Brexit committee brought up an interesting issue regarding recruitment this morning, in it's interview with the NAO chief.

Morse says departments know they will have to recruit more staff to deal with Brexit, and in some cases quite a lot more people.

Will they be successful in getting qualified people? That’s another question, says Morse. He says a lot of other people are fishing in the same poll.

Morse suggests government departments could have difficulty hiring qualified staff to deal with Brexit.

Also, and not that surprisingly, Grayling's department aren't ready

Morse says transport is inevitably going to be an area where, if there are risks that have not been addressed, “it will be highly visible and there will be very significant consequences”.

He says the Department for Transport is “quite confident” about getting everything done.

But he says he is worried they have “convinced themselves it is less risky than it actually is”.

Morse says Department for Transport is underestimating the risks of Brexit.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Guardian (i know, i know) live blog at the Brexit committee brought up an interesting issue regarding recruitment this morning, in it's interview with the NAO chief.

Also, and not that surprisingly, Grayling's department aren't ready

Just to show you that there's another anorak on the thread, the hearing is also being covered live on BBC Parliament channel!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The current German government has around 66% of the vote, but carry on.

But not one single party ...... it's called coalition. Meaning no party in that coalition can necessarily implement their manifesto. I note you avoid entirely the point that in the UK Parliament implements law and always with at least a 50% majority ...... including all the acts for Brexit ..... but carry on.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
What on earth is a 50% majority!? LOL! If you mean OVER 50% then also, no, this is not true. You only need over 50% of the seats in parliament, not over 50% of the vote being represented. VERY different. One is democratic, the other is pseudo-democracy.

So you're seriously suggesting that nothing can implemented without 50% of the vote being represented ? Really :facepalm: Utterly deluded and stupid. Never mind, another few days have passed until FoM is gone ...... oh what are you going to do then ? :cry:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
And now the end is near....

[tweet]1049996284638187520[/tweet]
A great Project Blame target for May.

Hopefully this means any Magic Money Tree payments to Northern Ireland in that budget get voted down as well.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
It is the DEMOCRATIC thing to do! Are you suggesting it is ok to pass laws that only 30% of people want and 70% do not want?

What's your practical solution then ? All voters get a seat in Parliament ? We have a referendum for EVERY law proposed ? :facepalm:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Yeah because the logical way of having some kimd of proportional representation is to have EVERY voter in the houses of parliament. FFS no wonder brexit is utterly ****ed if this is the type of brains that voted for it. (Along with 50% majority...still laughing at that one).

I said PRACTICAL solution ..... but carry on with your dreaming ..... PR won't be brought in during my life time after AV was rejected. And PR actually makes getting manifesto policies put into law more difficult.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
So you're seriously suggesting that nothing can implemented without 50% of the vote being represented ? Really :facepalm: Utterly deluded and stupid. Never mind, another few days have passed until FoM is gone ...... oh what are you going to do then ? :cry:

He is crackers. The notion you cant have a mandate in this country to implement policy unless a political party has over 50% of the vote share is beyond daft. I would say he is just trolling now but its too idiotic to be trolling, i believe he really thinks he is talking sense.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here