Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England's WC review - a fair ending

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Think they just ran out of steam,but very well done.I have a sneaky feeling that those thinking France easy winners might be in for a shock.Apart from some of the foul play,I thought Croatia deserved the win.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Think they just ran out of steam,but very well done.I have a sneaky feeling that those thinking France easy winners might be in for a shock.Apart from some of the foul play,I thought Croatia deserved the win.

France will win at a canter, in a one sided final.

Modric and a couple of others, versus 11 powerhouses obsessed with defence and clean sheets. With Mbappe and Griezman ready to exploit any errors.

Cue - arrogant scenes in Paris.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
It's already " come home." Is there a Country in the World that does not watch the English Premier League? It maybe all about the money, but that just enables the best players from around the World to have a stage in England.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A fair ending indeed, a group of youngsters who arrived at this World Cup with no pressure and no expectation.

Southgate steered his lads to a slightly easier bottom half of the draw and incredibly reached the semi-final, an extraordinary tournament that saw the demise of Germany, Spain, Portugal, Argentina and Brazil.

The future is bright until you factor in expectation and mounting pressure on the players, time and time again we have seen better players and squads capitulate under this type of pressure.

All in all a good tournament for England, but in my opinion this was the best chance of winning the World Cup in decades and once again we fell short.

At the risk of feeling some posters wrath, it was highly unlikely we would be crowned World Cup Winners. This isn't said at all slagging off Southgate and the players, who I consistently supported BEFORE and during the tournament.

Yes, I realise that on paper we only a game and half from doing it, but far more technically gifted and tactical Rakitic/Modric took control after the 30 minute mark. Leaving us resorting to dozens of hoofs. France are another level above that, and would beat Croatia or England with ease on Sunday anyway. France now will simply over power and foul Modric in numbers, in the same way that Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar and in the last game Hazard were hustled into looking aveage. Power and mass defence will win the final.

The WC winners are always one of the two best teams on the planet at that moment in time. We're not near that, yet.

Let's just enjoy the moment of a good tournament for England, loads of goals and happy memories. We'll worry about future tournaments when we qualify for them.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
France will win at a canter, in a one sided final.

Modric and a couple of others, versus 11 powerhouses obsessed with defence and clean sheets. With Mbappe and Griezman ready to exploit any errors.

French defence and muscle winning with ease in the end.

There hasn't been a big one sided score like this since 1970.

France v Belgium was the real final, where muscle and defence again overcame deftness.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I thought after watching Russia v Croatia it would not be easy.

Bookmakers did well out of me though in this World Cup.
Bookmakers do well out of many people, hence Ray Winstone's appearance on a regular basis.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Should have still been playing but for that bottler of a referee.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
French defence and muscle winning with ease in the end.

There hasn't been a big one sided score like this since 1970.

France v Belgium was the real final, where muscle and defence again overcame deftness.

Ref had a big impact though.

However, best team won the tournament IMO.

Great tournament for us, but the best thing is that a lot of people have re-established their love for our national team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Valiant effort, great to finally get 4 wins in a tournament.

I make it 3 wins, would the bookies have paid out to those who bet on England to beat Colombia.

It was an exciting tournament because England by hook or by crook could/ should have reached the final.
But at the end of the day it was wins against Panama, Tunisia & Sweden (with the England Goal Keeper man of the match) I give England a C+.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
The Golden Boot came home.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I make it 3 wins, would the bookies have paid out to those who bet on England to beat Colombia.

It was an exciting tournament because England by hook or by crook could/ should have reached the final.
But at the end of the day it was wins against Panama, Tunisia & Sweden (with the England Goal Keeper man of the match) I give England a C+.

Penalty shoot out wins count as wins.

Do you think Brazil don't count their 94 WCF or Italy their 06 WCF results, as wins?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here