Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Percy Tau - SIGNED on a 4 year deal - The Lion Returns. RRROOOAAAARRRRR

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Steven Piennar was South African. How did he get in? Mark Fish etc.

A quick wiki suggests only 4 players have ever gone directly from the South African league to the Premier League.

Phil Masinga to Leeds 1994
Lucas Radebe to Leeds 1994
Mbulelo Mabizela to Spurs 2003
Kagisho Dikgacoi to Fulham 2009

Not much help without knowing how many international caps they had and roughly where South Africa were ranked in the world, but it does highlight that a lot of comparisons with Piennar/McCarthy etc won’t tell us much.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If you type 'Percy T' into a search engine the predictive text puts him top above Percy Thrower.

This is a big signing.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I have a feeling regarding this one; 10:27am tomorrow morning feels about right for some reason.

The tea leaves hath spoken

Not sure what’s in this Lidl herbal tea, but it’s interesting, very interesting.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I have a feeling regarding this one; 10:27am tomorrow morning feels about right for some reason.

The tea leaves hath spoken

Not sure what’s in this Lidl herbal tea, but it’s interesting, very interesting.
Look at his face just look at his face (credit Barry Davies)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I see comedy headline writing potential herein too!

‘Percy 2 - Palace 0 etc.’

‘The Tau (if pronounced: Tay oooh) wags the dog’

‘Tau Hull and back.’

‘Brighton fail to Tau the line as City fall asunder’ (the Times that one)

Tau infinity and beyond.

Etc.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I see comedy headline writing potential herein too!

‘Percy 2 - Palace 0 etc.’

‘The Tau (if pronounced: Tay oooh) wags the dog’

‘Tau Hull and back.’

‘Brighton fail to Tau the line as City fall asunder’ (the Times that one)

Tau infinity and beyond.

Etc.

Tau nil to the Albion

Tau nil to the Albion

Tau nil to the Albion

etc etc

I am excited..........

TNBA

TTF

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
How can we possibly get a work permit for him? He doesn't automatically qualify for a GBE through international participation as SA outside top 50, so it goes to the exceptions panel

"If a player scores at least five points under both the Part A and Part B criteria, the Panel may grant a GBE, but is under no obligation to do so. If a player scores fewer than five points, the Panel should refuse a GBE unless they are satisfied, through a subjective review, that the player is internationally established at the highest level and that he will make a significant contribution to the development of football at the highest level in the UK.

Part A - Objective Criteria

Criteria (Points)
The transfer fee paid for the player is above the 75th percentile of qualifying transfers. (3)
The transfer fee paid for the player is between the 50th and 75th percentile of qualifying transfers. (2)
The player’s wages are above the 75th percentile of qualifying wages. (3)
The player’s wages are between the 50th and 75th percentile of qualifying wages. (2)
The player’s current club is in a top league and the player has played in at least 30% of available minutes. (1)
The player’s current club has played in the group stages or onwards of a continental competition within the last 12 months and the player has played in at least 30% of the available minutes. (1)

Part B - Objective Criteria

Criteria (Points)
The value of the transfer fee paid for the player is within 20% of the 50th percentile of qualifying transfers. (1)
Players signed on a free transfer who have been ascribed a virtual transfer value (as the Panel deems appropriate in its absolute discretion) which exceeds the value which is 20% below the 50th percentile of qualifying transfers. (1)
The player’s wages are within 20% of the 50th percentile of qualifying wages. (1)
The player’s current club is in a secondary league and the player has played in at least 30% of available minutes. (1)
The player’s current club has played in the final qualification rounds of a continental competition within the last 12 month and the player has played in at least 30% of the available minutes. (1)
The applicant club is able to show that the player has participated in the secondary percentage of senior competitive international matches during the relevant period OR the player's national association was a semi-finalist in the Asian Cup or African Cup of Nations in the twelve months prior to submitting the application for a GBE. If the player's national association is ranked outside the top 60, then the the player must have participated in at least 75% of the competitive international matches played during the relevant period. (1)"

His transfer fee will be quite low, maybe 1 point there. His salary will be relatively low, but maybe 1 point there. The SA league is not considered a 'top or secondary league', nor do I believe the African club competition is - but Sundowns did get to the final so maybe 1 point. He's a SA regular so maybe 1 point under the final clause - probably 0 or 1 points overall, a max of 4 points so : the Panel should refuse a GBE unless they are satisfied, through a subjective review, that the player is internationally established at the highest level and that he will make a significant contribution to the development of football at the highest level in the UK

:shrug:

Yes, but he was Player of the Season and appears on talk shows. How can he ever meet the criteria if playing in the top league and for his country don't meet the criteria. Surely on that basis he could never qualify.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
i'm honestly finding it difficult to be exited by this as there is so little chance of him being granted a permit. he looks a good little player,but i worry we're not going to see that as he won't be able to play.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I wonder if the management at the club have considered the work permit. Seriously, come on. Im fairly sure the club wouldnt be going for it if there was no possibility.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here