Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Flying The Flag Yet?

el punal

So we are about to enjoy/endure the second instalment of England’s World Cup journey. Is it me or does there seem to be a general lack of enthusiasm in our green and pleasant land for our footballing boys? I watched our first match against Tunisia and my reactions went from pleasant surprise to frustration to relief at the accomplishment of three points gained. At the end of it there was a half-hearted Chris Hughton-esque fist pump from me and that was it.

Unlike previous World Cups and Euros my Cross of St.George flag (sans stupid product logos and other embellishments) remains stored away, but ready and available for proud displaying when the time comes. But, for me, the time is still not right. Too many false dawns and abject performances in recent years have prompted that. I’m just waiting for that spark to ignite my dormant passion that England may, at last, produce that wonderful togetherness of 1990 and the Euros of 1996. Then, of course, they had two great songs as accompaniment - World in Motion and Three Lions. I wonder if, to quote the World Cup song of 1970 “This time, more than any other time, this time . . .” will ring true for 2018? - I hope so.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Prob less flags but no shortage of passion in the pubs and fan parks. It went mental where I was when Kane scored and I hear other places near me were the same. I feel like everyone is talking about this World Cup actually and the feeling of England playing with a young team with little expectations is great - I’ll always believe :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm absolutely loving the WC and have been in a state of nervous excitement about today for several days. Unfortunately I'm living in a rented house for 2 months while I have building done so my England flag and its usual home are inaccessible. Otherwise it would be displayed in the same window I put it up in for Englnd football, since 96.

Gosh, Trevor Brooking (on R5) is a ****ing boring old ****.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Nope. We have ethnic neighbours and don’t want to cause offence although quite enjoying seeing a couple of S.American countries flags down the road from us to brighten the place up.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
So we are about to enjoy/endure the second instalment of England’s World Cup journey. Is it me or does there seem to be a general lack of enthusiasm in our green and pleasant land for our footballing boys? I watched our first match against Tunisia and my reactions went from pleasant surprise to frustration to relief at the accomplishment of three points gained. At the end of it there was a half-hearted Chris Hughton-esque fist pump from me and that was it.

Unlike previous World Cups and Euros my Cross of St.George flag (sans stupid product logos and other embellishments) remains stored away, but ready and available for proud displaying when the time comes. But, for me, the time is still not right. Too many false dawns and abject performances in recent years have prompted that. I’m just waiting for that spark to ignite my dormant passion that England may, at last, produce that wonderful togetherness of 1990 and the Euros of 1996. Then, of course, they had two great songs as accompaniment - World in Motion and Three Lions. I wonder if, to quote the World Cup song of 1970 “This time, more than any other time, this time . . .” will ring true for 2018? - I hope so.

1970?!! Try 1982...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
???

:??????
Are you on a wind-up?

Did you not read that recent report, get with modern life: 60% of under 25s are embarrassed to be English! Plus St George isn’t really our flag. And it’s used by Neo Nazis. Would you fly a Swastika from your window? Nope, fine if you live in deepest Lincs but in the multi ethnic South East you run a real risk of upsetting immigrants and making them feel uneasy or unwelcome. I don’t wish to do that so best leave the far right jingoistic nationalism to others. Besides, as Emily Thornbury said, it’s very chav and working class ‘Brexity’ to display a St George’s and whonin their right mind wants to identify with that.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Did you not read that recent report, get with modern life: 60% of under 25s are embarrassed to be English! Plus St George isn’t really our flag. And it’s used by Neo Nazis. Would you fly a Swastika from your window? Nope, fine if you live in deepest Lincs but in the multi ethnic South East you run a real risk of upsetting immigrants and making them feel uneasy or unwelcome. I don’t wish to do that so best leave the far right jingoistic nationalism to others. Besides, as Emily Thornbury said, it’s very chav and working class ‘Brexity’ to display a St George’s and whonin their right mind wants to identify with that.

You MUST be on a wind up. Surely

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I am keeping a lid on it over here. Previous years I have put flags up to annoy my neighbours from around the globe and played 3 Lions and World in Motion over and over. I just haven't felt inspired to do so this year as it usually ends in bitter disappointment. If I was in a shit American chick flick I would be saying something like "I just can't put myself out there and get hurt again right now". I am jaded and bitter when it comes to England and although I haven't followed through on my promise "not to ****ing bother again" I just cannot get that excited about it while bracing for some almighty **** up. I am not expecting much and i think that if we manage to beat Panama tonight I might start to get excited for the round of 16 after seeing where we sit in real terms against Belgium.

To put it another way following England at this world cup is a chore. Although i must say I am enjoying the rest of it a lot more than normal.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

:bowdown::lolol:

Actually you might be right, we don't have an England smilie.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I am keeping a lid on it over here. Previous years I have put flags up to annoy my neighbours from around the globe and played 3 Lions and World in Motion over and over. I just haven't felt inspired to do so this year as it usually ends in bitter disappointment.

BF, as a great Albion manager (first time round) once said, keep the faith!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
BF, as a great Albion manager (first time round) once said, keep the faith!

I am so tempted to press that play button but i honestly feel that if i do we will lose tonight to a last minute penalty* against Panama after a game of missed shots and post hitting.

* Whilst putting his head in his hands Harry Kane will also break a bone that i have never heard of before that will rule him out of the world cup, making his return early in the season against the Albion.

Seriously now, why do i watch this ****ing game again?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
crazy-gif-5.gif

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Nope. We have ethnic neighbours and don’t want to cause offence although quite enjoying seeing a couple of S.American countries flags down the road from us to brighten the place up.

Similarly here, don't want to upset my Cornish neighbours, so just the local black and white flags around. At a music festival today, will no doubt hear "This Isn't England" a few times. :lol:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I noticed yesterday, while having a stroll down to the local, that the flags on cars had suddenly returned. At least 15 spotted on a five minute walk. Excellent.

I'm in Sheffield city centre at present having a bacon sandwich and a coffee and the boozer is already full of lads in retro England shirts, getting on the beer. I'm wearing my 1998 shirt which is actually 20 years old and looks it.

I reckon the only offended people are the Daily Mail crew, getting offended about the idea of people being offended which doesn't actually exist, at all.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here