Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Close season signings- who is on Chris Hughton's (realistic) wishlist?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
born on or after 1 January 1997

Henrik Bjørdal
Aleš Mateju

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Worked out alright last time. And he'd be nearer our first team than Chelsea's, especially with his flexibility.
This is 18 months to two years later, and he's not a teenager any more - he needs to establish himself as a first teamer somewhere. 'Promising youngster' is not a permanent status - and the consequences of not kicking on from there do not bode well career-wise.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'd be interested to know what role Hughton has in mind for Glenn Murray this season now we have Andone and a settled, acclimatised Locadia.

Does he go straight to the bench and Andone starts, or will it be a case of Glenn keeps the shirt and we see how it goes?

I think we need to get this lad Gyokeres out on loan and see if he can score goal in the Championship.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jun 27, 2012
If Krul and Maaenpa both sing then...

11) Moore
12) McNair
16) Nick Powell or Stuart Armstrong
21) The winger from Norwich Josh Murphy
25) Percy Tau

That should do us AND sort out the HGP issue.

11,12 are HGP , we have bids on the table
16 no reports on first one, but bid for him in January and is a HGP, the other, non HGP ruled out as target in Argus reports earlier today.
21) signed for Cardiff - poor lad
25) non HGP - being “tracked”

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
Jun 27, 2012
Signings to go are probably a GK, CB, CM , striker/winger, #10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I'd love us to get McNair, he's a class act. We bid 2M but apparently they want 7M and Wolves are apparently willing to pay that, tbh I'm not sure that we are.

He's a great player though, I'd be delighted if we got him, and I'd say he might just be worth the asking price.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Rondom from West Bromwich. .......16 million pound release clause. Newcastle are interested, would Hughton????

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
Jun 27, 2012
I'd love us to get McNair, he's a class act. We bid 2M but apparently they want 7M and Wolves are apparently willing to pay that, tbh I'm not sure that we are.

He's a great player though, I'd be delighted if we got him, and I'd say he might just be worth the asking price.

Reports we intended to bid a lot closer to £7m than £2m

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
I'd be interested to know what role Hughton has in mind for Glenn Murray this season now we have Andone and a settled, acclimatised Locadia.

Does he go straight to the bench and Andone starts, or will it be a case of Glenn keeps the shirt and we see how it goes?

I think we need to get this lad Gyokeres out on loan and see if he can score goal in the Championship.
I think this is the most interesting question of all. The way we set up last year (and the one before that) hinged on Murray up front, without him we looked lost.

Locadia from what we've seen is a very different type of player to Glenn unfortunately and doesn't seem to have the presence for a target man role. Andone looks basically like Baldoco...maybe Hughton will keep his options open this year, trying (dare i say it) 2 up front in some games or maybe dropping Gross wide to accomodate? I really have no idea. Hughton will know our main struggle last year was scoring away, but he'll know that there were games last year where Murray was so effective that we can't simply drop him all together.

Interesting times.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Good luck Goldson !

2 keepers probably needed now.

1. Ryan
2. New Signing ( Goalkeeper)
3. Walton ( HGP ) or New Signing
4. Bruno
5. Schelotto
6. Suttner
7. Bong
8. Balogun
9. Dunk ( HGP )
10. Duffy ( HGP )
11. New Signing ( Defender)
12. New Signing ( Defence / Defensive Central Midfield)
13. Stephens ( HGP )
14. Kayal
15. Pröpper
16. New Signing ( Central Attacking Midfield)
17. Groß
18. Knockaert
19. Izquierdo
20. March ( HGP )
21. Skalak or New Signing
22. Murray
23. Andone
24. Locadia
25. Baldock ( HGP ) or Hemed or New Signing
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
26. Towell
27. Norwood

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

Target man plan B.

Plan A is proper front 3 of Locadia, Andone and Tau. Then a three man midfield of Stephens, Propper and Gross OR two man midfield of Stephens and Propper with Izquierdo playing just behind the front three. Basically Hughton is going to say **** defending this year lets go all out attack. If we need a goal take of Stephens and Propper and bring on Knockeart and Murray. Don't need a midfield, Dunk can just ping it 50 yards for Murray to knock down to the other five attackers.

That way no one will bang on about us being defensive and lacking goals.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We didn't score enough goals last season (particularly away from home) and Murray is one year older so something has to change, but with change comes risk.

The obvious problem with Murray and Gross is a lack of pace. That problem is compounded by a lack of goal production from Stephens and Propper.

Given that Murray scored a lot last season then is a direct swap of Murray for Andone going to increase our goals for?

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We didn't score enough goals last season (particularly away from home) and Murray is one year older so something has to change, but with change comes risk.

The obvious problem with Murray and Gross is a lack of pace. That problem is compounded by a lack of goal production from Stephens and Propper.

Given that Murray scored a lot last season then is a direct swap of Murray for Andone going to increase our goals for?

I'd hope that we end up with a strike force that isn't reliant on one player spoon feeding 'poachers' goals.

I fear those of us hoping D & D will take a couple of steps away from D & D's toes will be left disappointed.
But that wouldn't be such a bad thing if the match squad contained at least 2 goal scorers, Groß and wingers playing in front of the full backs.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Target man plan B.

Plan A is proper front 3 of Locadia, Andone and Tau. Then a three man midfield of Stephens, Propper and Gross OR two man midfield of Stephens and Propper with Izquierdo playing just behind the front three. Basically Hughton is going to say **** defending this year lets go all out attack. If we need a goal take of Stephens and Propper and bring on Knockeart and Murray. Don't need a midfield, Dunk can just ping it 50 yards for Murray to knock down to the other five attackers.

That way no one will bang on about us being defensive and lacking goals.

This might well be what you want to happen, but I'd wager a large amount of money that it doesn't happen. If Gross is fit, we'll play a 4-4-1-1 formation for the majority of next season. As we did this season. The big (current) question is who starts up front, as [MENTION=258]Pavilionaire[/MENTION] asks. I think there are two probable ways of answering this question for the early (ie c10 games) part of the season (and provided there isn't a new forward signing):
1. Murray retains the shirt, Andone and/or Locadia comes on as sub
2. Murray and (probably) Andone rotate, with Murray playing at home, Andone away.
Unlike [MENTION=29553]Rohan Ince's Python[/MENTION] I don't see Andone as a Baldock-type. He's played on his own up front most the time. He's just a different type of target man to Murray, with pace, movement and strength, as opposed to height, hold-up play and strength as with Murray.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here