Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] For teachers/ TAs on here.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Interesting fall out from the GDPR legislation.

All pictures of children in school have been taken down, including all the school sports teams, from the past as the rules suggest that to show them requires permission.

So presumably they would have had to contact every child or parent/guardian to get permission.

So how does that now work for junior sports clubs? Presumably all clubs will have to destroy their pictures ...consequently, how will this work with pictures the albion have up around the stadium which shows crowd scenes and individuals?

I couldn't believe the schools actions though and only realised it wa strue when asking various mates who said their schools have done the same.

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea

All pictures of children in school have been taken down, including all the school sports teams, from the past as the rules suggest that to show them requires permission.

So presumably they would have had to contact every child or parent/guardian to get permission.

So how does that now work for junior sports clubs? Presumably all clubs will have to destroy their pictures ...consequently, how will this work with pictures the albion have up around the stadium which shows crowd scenes and individuals?

I couldn't believe the schools actions though and only realised it wa strue when asking various mates who said their schools have done the same.

I think schools have needed permission about photos for quite some time. Also there are strict rules about parents and cameras.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
There's so many caveats, clearly it's a question of practicality and doing what's reasonably possible to abide by the new law.

It would be interesting seeing the exact wording on the new legislation, so are there exceptions, what's considered "data" and what reasonable measures are expected? Does it only apply to private companies (what about individuals?), or are schools and other institutions included?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think schools have needed permission about photos for quite some time. Also there are strict rules about parents and cameras.

There certainly is, but they have never been told to remove all photos from the walls. I remember at school, we had sports teams photos going back many years.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Any data - including photos - to do with under 16s has a special rating within GDPR. Anyone using it has to get explicit permission to use it and explain exactly what they plan to use it for. The problem for many organisations is that they may have obtained permission to use the data originally but either don't still hold evidence of that permission or didn't say what they intended to use it for.

As a slight aside, the regulation also requires an organisation to say at the point of collection what they plan to use the data for. Therefore even if they ask you for your email address they MUST say at the point of collection why they want it, what they will use it for and who they will share it with.

And yes - it covers junior sports clubs, scouts and guides, junior football clubs, choirs - EVERY organisation.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Any data - including photos - to do with under 16s has a special rating within GDPR. Anyone using it has to get explicit permission to use it and explain exactly what they plan to use it for. The problem for many organisations is that they may have obtained permission to use the data originally but either don't still hold evidence of that permission or didn't say what they intended to use it for.

As a slight aside, the regulation also requires an organisation to say at the point of collection what they plan to use the data for. Therefore even if they ask you for your email address they MUST say at the point of collection why they want it, what they will use it for and who they will share it with.

So do the albion have to take down all the pictures of fans around the stadium?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
GDPR has many strengths but if it requires schools to remove unnamed photos of school sports teams from its corridors, etc then the world, well Europe anyway has gone mad.

I seem to remember something on an Albion ticket, programme, website ???? agreeing to let your photos be published (with no other identification).

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
So do the albion have to take down all the pictures of fans around the stadium?

Strictly speaking, if they don't mention in the T&Cs of the ticket that photos maybe taken, stored, published and shared then yes, unless the T&Cs explicitly say by buying the ticket you agree ( in in the case of children parents agree ) to having that data stored, published and shared - and to whom that will be.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As an adopting parent it's something, quite probably irrationally, that is always in the back of my mind.
Even more so as my children have very distinctive names.
That in turn is not helped by the fact my daughter is very photogenic as BHASnappy will inadvertently testify too.

But even I can draw a line, although that said I'm still twitchy about giving permission as now what used to be great historic and 'belonging' photos of years gone by, can become a well meaning on-line montage of named pupils.

As said I know I'm being irrational, but I'd rather that than "Daddy guess who stopped me for a chat, today?".

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's long been the case that parents have had to give permission for photos to be used.

The rugby team I manage asked the question and all but one parent gave permission. I therefore carefully had to make sure his daughter wasn't in any pictures that I put up on the website - it was a bit of a pain. Halfway through the season, he changed his mind and allowed her to be shown.

As WS says, there are specific guidelines in GDPR and I'm amending our communication with parents of the cricket team I manage. Fortunately, I'm not in charge of GDPR for the rugby club, so that's someone else's problem.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
As someone involved with a village junior cricket club I am planning on completely ignoring GDPR.

If someone official ever came round to our clubhouse and made some serious point, let alone prosecution, about us having a few (unlabelled) team photos up on the walls the world really will have properly gone mad.

D

Deleted member 22389

This whole thing sounds like an administrative nightmare. I'm afraid I can see many people reading the rights of millions of webmasters out there, possibly forcing them to close down sites. Nobody has the time for this.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As someone involved with a village junior cricket club I am planning on completely ignoring GDPR.

That would be foolish: sports clubs have to comply as well. I've just looked at our procedures and there's just a bit of tweaking to do - it's not too onerous.

But you'd certainly be OK with old photos on the wall, I think you'd be pretty safe leaving those up.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003

If someone official ever came round to our clubhouse and made some serious point, let alone prosecution, about us having a few (unlabelled) team photos up on the walls the world really will have properly gone mad.

You'll probably be fine but it will only take a parent to complain to the ICO and you're in the shit. The penalties are HUGE !

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That would be foolish: sports clubs have to comply as well. I've just looked at our procedures and there's just a bit of tweaking to do - it's not too onerous.

But you'd certainly be OK with old photos on the wall, I think you'd be pretty safe leaving those up.

In schools you are not. All the people I have talked to, including a couple of ladies who are on governing bodies have been told to remove all photos apart from the current intake, and only if they have permission from parents to keep them up.

Maybe the local authority are reading too much in to it, but these days as with H&S and the compensation culture , we seem to be erring on the side of the worse case scenario.

I know one school in the area who tried to track down old pupils and staff but failed miserably so a whole wall of sporting achievements pictures had to come down and they were taking advice if they should destroy them.

As people have said on the brexit thread, we have three " consultants " telling us what we should be doing and what not...we get mails daily about stuff! I suppose they have to justify their £500 a day consultancy rates.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yet again it looks like more legislation with unintended consequences, making normal harmless everyday things illegal along with the things it is meant to prevent and protect against.

What about old photos - the school teams, or of the whole school - where all the people in the photograph can either be presumed dead, or at least in very late old age?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yet again it looks like more legislation with unintended consequences

i wouldn't say unintended, its been very deliberately framed to remove exceptions and loopholes, making required permission explicit.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
In schools you are not. All the people I have talked to, including a couple of ladies who are on governing bodies have been told to remove all photos apart from the current intake, and only if they have permission from parents to keep them up.

Maybe the local authority are reading too much in to it, but these days as with H&S and the compensation culture , we seem to be erring on the side of the worse case scenario.

I know one school in the area who tried to track down old pupils and staff but failed miserably so a whole wall of sporting achievements pictures had to come down and they were taking advice if they should destroy them.

This is farcical and saddening in equal measure.

As a schoolboy, I used to love to look at all the old photos, especially the sports photos, that went back to the turn of the 20th century.

It was inspiring as well as sobering to know that so many of those same names on the photos, boys not much older than myself at the time, were also commemorated on the roll of honour plaque having given their lives in World War 1.

It was a great honour to have your photo and name on the school wall - something noble and to be aspired to. To deny future students such opportunities would be shameful.

The taking down of past photos is little more than historical vandalism with paranoia as the primary driving force.

Of course children should be protected for their future development. The vast majority of teachers (myself included) enter the profession to try and make a positive difference in their lives.

However, let's not make the mistake of finding a demon under every stone here.

And let's respect the past for what it was then and what it still means now.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here