Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] This is YOUR council tax being spent on this......

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Not my council either. I am sure council tax payments wouldn't go down if these badges hadn't been made. I am also sure there are better places to spend the money wasted on this project. If staff feel that strongly about wearing this badge, let them bring their own to work.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Blimey, I don't really care about the badges, but I just get a teensy bit weary about the 'hey look at me, aren't I a wonderful inclusive right on individual', that seems so important to certain organisations and individuals in Brighton.
Give it a rest and just quietly treat everyone as human beings.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Blimey, I don't really care about the badges, but I just get a teensy bit weary about the 'hey look at me, aren't I a wonderful inclusive right on individual', that seems so important to certain organisations and individuals in Brighton.
Give it a rest and just quietly treat everyone as human beings.

Should we refer to all Human Beings as They or He or She though?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As I said earlier I support any initiative to raise awareness and the money spent is not a problem for me but I do find the actual badges themselves slightly awkward and not very impactful. Just don't think it's a very well executed idea.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
In what way?

I think you've had that comprehensively answered in subsequent posts.

Al doesn't live in Brighton either, so his opinion is as invalid on this as his opinion on yours.

Pitiful response.

This is part of something (gender identity) which is under review from national government, and Brighton & Hove City Council and it partners (he seems to have forgotten it's a joint venture) are ahead of the curve. The option that others have said about 'not my council' isn't the central point - it may well be rolled out across all councils. It's not compulsory to wear one, even if you're a council employee - people are merely being asked to wear one.

And the badges cost, in the great scheme of things, bugger all.

When it's in Australia, he can whinge about his money being wasted then.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Should we refer to all Human Beings as They or He or She though?

Well, as far as I know,the vast majority of human beings are either male or female and are usually identifiable as such, so I would call them he or she,depending on what my eyes tell my brain what sex that person is. If I was in any doubt, I would probably ask my wife, because she knows everything! Or possibly, my sister 'cos she lives in Brighton and is more in tune with the ways!:lolol:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I think you've had that comprehensively answered in subsequent posts.

When it's in Australia, he can whinge about his money being wasted then.

I still ask, in what way have I misrepresented the original report? I just supplied a link to it.

At no point did I whinge about MY money being wasted. I was/am just posting on the all encompassing message forum of my hometown football club that I actively supported for over 40 years, that is renowned for its discussions of many topics excluding football.

PS Any chance you could refrain from being such a know it all, sanctimonious arse? There's a good chap now :thumbsup:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Question is, when are football clubs going to start this sort of policy? Specifically, when is the Brighton & Hove Albion Women team going to get away from this outdated idea that women are defined by their sexual organs, and move towards the modern approach that anyone who identifies as a woman is eligible to play?

(Burnley don't have this problem. We don't have an official women's team. :wink: )

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Don't see the problem. Better this that might actually improve the quality of life of some people than frittered away boosting the profits of some private contractor somewhere.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Don't see the problem. Better this that might actually improve the quality of life of some people than frittered away boosting the profits of some private contractor somewhere.

What happens if 'some private contractor'( boo hiss) wants to wear one of these badges?
Will that make a 'baddy' into a 'goody'?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Will that make a 'baddy' into a 'goody'?

Sorry, have I wandered into a school playground by mistake?

I'm happy that money is being used in a way which doesn't cause people unnecessary distress. If you don't like that then that's your problem, not mine.

My tax money is spent on any number of things I don't like, at both a local and national level, much of which makes this appear not so much a drop in the ocean as a solitary oxygen particle in an atom of H2O in the ocean. I don't make a song and dance about it because I accept that it goes into a big pot and is then dished out on whatever is seen fit by people with a better understanding of what money should and shouldn't be spent on than I do without a full vision of the facts.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Thankfully I'm not a Brighton resident. If I was I'd kick up a massive stink about my Council Tax being frittered away.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Happy to oblige...making transpeople feel better about themselves is a arguably a benefit to society on a purely economic level. The rate of suicide amongst trans men and women is much higher than amongst the rest of society. Suicide is a very expensive business to sort out - police, ambulances, coroners etc. Therefore if a campaign like this stops one person from commiting suicide, it has probably paid for itself many times over.

Blimey, that is a very good response McTavish. I admit that at first I sniggered at this story, but then I thought about it a bit and concluded that all these badges are doing, at a trivial cost, is raise some awareness. I reckon trans people must have a pretty bloody difficult life...

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I don't mind my taxes being spent on various community things, I hate the goverments austerity arguments, societys pay taxes to run our society, get over it. I like being part of the community.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sorry, have I wandered into a school playground by mistake?

I'm happy that money is being used in a way which doesn't cause people unnecessary distress. If you don't like that then that's your problem, not mine.

My tax money is spent on any number of things I don't like, at both a local and national level, much of which makes this appear not so much a drop in the ocean as a solitary oxygen particle in an atom of H2O in the ocean. I don't make a song and dance about it because I accept that it goes into a big pot and is then dished out on whatever is seen fit by people with a better understanding of what money should and shouldn't be spent on than I do without a full vision of the facts.

Indeed. Feeding Boris Johnson for a day, for example, probably costs the taxpayer more than these badges and feeding Nicholas Soames probably costs more than we've spent on the bike lanes.

Jan 30, 2008
Discuss.......

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-43336081

Not just the cost of the badges but the cost of creating, implementing and maintaining the policy. A good use of YOUR money?

Waits for the 'if it makes someone feel better about themselves' argument. A free yearly holiday would make others feel better, should they get that too?
it's BRIGHTON ........... WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY !
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here