Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ESU and WSU open for Coventry game

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It was tempting to just let this slide away but it is worthy of further discussion and does shed light on the club's whole approach to the FA Cup and the Coventry match.

Without this thread, and a few of us killing time discussing the seating plan (and branching off on the pantomime villain Barber), you would hardly know that we are still in the FA Cup.

I do get it. The amounts of money in it mentioned on this thread are relatively small. There is nothing special about playing at Wembley anymore. And the chance of actually getting past the big boys to win it is small. There isn't much to like about it and for the club it is an unwelcome distraction.

As a 49 year old with very fond Albion FA Cup memories this is all hard to compute but they are the facts.

All agreed. Club and football's priorities have shifted and for the many on here remember 1983 its frustrating.
Although IF we stay up and the cup run continues past Coventry then the demand for tickets, and interest especially if we do get to the semi finals would escalate. Why wouldn't it. ? Barber might even earn some extra ££ from merch sales.

BUT...
This doesn't mean they're going out of their way to have a low attendance next Saturday.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I expect one of the upper tiers to be open (probably East Upper as it's smaller) by tomorrow. The club MUST be aware of the demand, with pretty much all areas besides the undesirable ones (blocks adjacent to away fans) sold out.

Tick tock Mr Barber.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
It will be my ticket when I buy it! I never said I was buying my regular seat. I prefer viewing matches from a central position high up so I can have a good view of the game. Hope that's ok. xxx

No, no it's not. You MUST buy your regular seat. It's the LAW.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It was tempting to just let this slide away but it is worthy of further discussion and does shed light on the club's whole approach to the FA Cup and the Coventry match.

Without this thread, and a few of us killing time discussing the seating plan (and branching off on the pantomime villain Barber), you would hardly know that we are still in the FA Cup.

I do get it. The amounts of money in it mentioned on this thread are relatively small. There is nothing special about playing at Wembley anymore. And the chance of actually getting past the big boys to win it is small. There isn't much to like about it and for the club it is an unwelcome distraction.

As a 49 year old with very fond Albion FA Cup memories this is all hard to compute but they are the facts.

I don't believe that CH will see it as an unwelcome distraction. We have an empty week before and after the game and if we get knocked out, we will have no fixture between March 10th and March 31st ( unless Man C lose to Wigan as well ) He will not want this level of inactivity. He will want squad players to get more playing time and a victory will increase the feelgood factor and add to monetum ( hopefully, we haven't lost 4-0 at Stoke before then!!! )

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
It will be my ticket when I buy it! I never said I was buying my regular seat. I prefer viewing matches from a central position high up so I can have a good view of the game. Hope that's ok. xxx

It is. I hope you don't miss the game as you can't buy your preferred viewing position.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Will they sell 3,000? Still have 600 not sold.

There are still 9 days of tickets sales left. We sold around 1500 yesterday, but that was mainly because it was the first day on sale to anyone with a purchase history. Even with limited choice left we have sold around 130 in a couple of hours this morning. I think we'd easily sell another 3000. I reckon the final attendance will be around 27000, maybe even higher.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Barbers job is to try not to waste Tonys money, and hopefully turn a profit, so I get not opening upper tiers unless they feel demand is there, however, next time, even if they think one price for the whole ground is a nice idea, give early bookers an incentive and say that if the upper tiers open, they will be at a higher price per seat than lower tiers, maybe only a couple of quid more, but for those settling for a poorer view, at least they can buy a tea at half time with the saving.
Yours sincerely, Captain Hindsight.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
These cup games are much more competitive than u23 matches and are a good way of getting the fringe players match fit. Krul, Goldson and Baldock have benefited from these games and are ready in case they're needed. Against Cov I would hope that one or two of the U23s might be given a chance to experience the next level up without being risked in the PL.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
around 600 at 11.00 on 8/2/18...

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
There are still 9 days of tickets sales left. We sold around 1500 yesterday, but that was mainly because it was the first day on sale to anyone with a purchase history. Even with limited choice left we have sold around 130 in a couple of hours this morning. I think we'd easily sell another 3000. I reckon the final attendance will be around 27000, maybe even higher.
I hope you're right and I also like Mo Gosfield's optimistic take on how CH and the players will regard this 5th round tie.

It is fact that if ESU opened today then the first few hundred seats would fly off the shelves. I suspect they might end up around 1,800+. The last few hundred in the lower bowl would obviously not then sell.

Barber would probably look at my guesses and conclude he is justified in sticking to his lower bowl (perhaps + shelf) only strategy. I disagree. ESU should be on sale today.

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
A mate of mine just texted me saying he rang the ticket office this morning to ask about upper tiers opening as he was waiting to buy and they said they have had lots of people ringing and asking about this but were waiting to sell the lower tiers first, they also said that they were well aware of this thread. He said well the fact you'd had lots of people phoning & you're aware of this thread should tell you everything you need to know - they said computer says no :ffsparr:

188 pairs left. All next to the away fans.

Has anyone brought this thread (and the others of a similiar ilk) to the club's attention?

This, I think is the most talked about subject since we won promotion. It even beat the Premier League fixtures coming out.

EDIT: Just seen last reply!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I hope you're right and I also like Mo Gosfield's optimistic take on how CH and the players will regard this 5th round tie.

It is fact that if ESU opened today then the first few hundred seats would fly off the shelves. I suspect they might end up around 1,800+. The last few hundred in the lower bowl would obviously not then sell.

Barber would probably look at my guesses and conclude he is justified in sticking to his lower bowl (perhaps + shelf) only strategy.

As a fan (customer, client, whatever) I would rather have the lower tiers completely packed and the uppers empty, than a lot of empty seats in both. 22k packed into the lower tiers should generate a decent atmosphere with a big away contingent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here