Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Drop Ryan...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I assume you mean Bong? I was trying to show that Ryan was not to blame, as per the thread, and yes Bong was

And as I explained due to him being unable to command any of his area this leads to the gaps in the area that are exploited. Look how many of our players surround him or fill the 6 yard box to offer protection because he himself can't challenge a high ball under his bar as he is too weak. Bigger keepers move those around them to make space he stands there, normally all you see of him are his hands slightly above the heads of everyone else.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
And as I explained due to him being unable to command any of his area this leads to the gaps in the area that are exploited. Look how many of our players surround him or fill the 6 yard box to offer protection because he himself can't challenge a high ball under his bar as he is too weak. Bigger keepers move those around them to make space he stands there, normally all you see of him are his hands slightly above the heads of everyone else.

Sorry, he is always pushing players away from him - every time. You are now making stuff up that he doesn't try to clear a space.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Sorry, he is always pushing players away from him - every time. You are now making stuff up that he doesn't try to clear a space.

But he doesn't manage to achieve it. Please tell me the last corner he either caught or punched fully clear.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Imagine looking at the team playing this afternoon and thinking "yep, the biggest problem we have on the pitch is definitely the goalkeeper".

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He did today, several times.

Watched it on a stream can't say I noticed him catching any corners.

Mainly irrelevant anyway, if I was an opposing manager I know what I would want to do with corners/freekicks and it appears so do many others with great affect.

We will have to agree to disagree

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Watched it on a stream can't say I noticed him catching any corners.

Mainly irrelevant anyway, if I was an opposing manager I know what I would want to do with corners/freekicks and it appears so do many others with great affect.

We will have to agree to disagree

But that's down to our piss poor defending at corners, why do you single out one player? This is very confusing.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I don’t think you can blame Ryan at all and I was one of his critics originally. He has turned out to be a more than compentant keeper and I would say is a lot better at collecting crosses as then Stockers!
I thought Dunk was ball watching for the first today and haven’t seen the second since I left the game and it was up to other end so didn’t really see what happened. We have 2 big centre half’s that need to step up to the plate and get their heads on these corners, start to command the penalty areas at corners and they also need to start offering threat in the opposition box. I would look at bringing in Goldson or Uwe in for one of the centre backs before dropping or blaming Ryan!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Imagine looking at the team playing this afternoon and thinking "yep, the biggest problem we have on the pitch is definitely the goalkeeper".

:laugh:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
But that's down to our piss poor defending at corners, why do you single out one player? This is very confusing.

I'm not but if you read my posts I believe the reason we defend the way we do is attempting to protect our keeper as he can't command his area compared to a much taller one. I coach keepers at a local level. If I deal will a tall commanding keeper I would expect his defenders to draw the opposition away from him and block their runs, allowing him space to dominate, and not necessarily attacking the ball. A less commanding keeper needs his defence to challenge the ball at all times.

Anyone who has played at the back will tell you some keepers they know will command others don't and you adjust the way you deal with high balls accordingly.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I don’t think you can blame Ryan at all and I was one of his critics originally. He has turned out to be a more than compentant keeper and I would say is a lot better at collecting crosses as then Stockers!

I think we all know that, I think the OP needed a thread of his own and drew straws for which player to pick on. He got Ryan and realised there wasn't much to slag him off about, mind you he dragged a few with him, others desperate to blame anyone. It's the nature of the beast :wink:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm not but if you read my posts I believe the reason we defend the way we do is attempting to protect our keeper as he can't command his area compared to a much taller one. I coach keepers at a local level. If I deal will a tall commanding keeper I would expect his defenders to draw the opposition away from him and block their runs, allowing him space to dominate, and not necessarily attacking the ball. A less commanding keeper needs his defence to challenge the ball at all times.

Anyone who has played at the back will tell you some keepers they know will command others don't and you adjust the way you deal with high balls accordingly.

So, what about when we play with no players on the posts, that's hardly protecting the keeper is it? And as someone already pointed out, he pushes players away from him. And, even if you're a 6'5 keeper, if you have Murray in your face you have players protecting you, I don't get your point.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
So, what about when we play with no players on the posts, that's hardly protecting the keeper is it? And as someone already pointed out, he pushes players away from him. And, even if you're a 6'5 keeper, if you have Murray in your face you have players protecting you, I don't get your point.

I give up.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here