Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is this it for Chris? Time for Hughton to go?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It might be worth getting a coach in who is able to teach defending set plays, but not at the expense of CH. Corners have been a real problem all season, a problem that hasn’t been solved.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
For arguments sake let’s say Bloom agrees with you.

Who would come in and do a better job with the players and budget on offer?

I tend to agree with this. We can't buy actual proven quality, thus every signing is a massive gamble. Ultimately we might get lucky, the reality however is that we'll end up with a massively expensive duffer.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bloom wouldn't agree with me. Otherwise he would have got someone else in.

Bloom was going to keep faith with Hyypia, so what chance he will sack CH when it is the recruitment team who have let CH down?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We've conceded the least amount of goals from 8th to 20th.

We have clearly been changing things, against Bournemouth we didn't have men on the posts for corners, today we did. Nothing CH can do if our player doesn't beat their player in the air, or make it too difficult to score. We go man for man at corners, Chris can only coach a certain amount tactically the players have to mark and win their battle. Both today's second and the Bournemouth goal from a corner we actually had a man marking the player who scored – they just didn't do well enough. Chris cannot take the blame for that. The first today Propper has to do better at the near post as that was an excellent flick off a low driven corner, and we have to pick up.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Maybe if he had some pace and quality in a striker he might adjust the tactics? Can you see us staying up with the current squad remaining as it is, regardless of the tactics. Hughton has been doing a great job under the circumstances imo but he is managing with one hand tied behind his back.

What utter garbage. Hughtons tactics have been the same alll season. No plan b. We set up not to concede which is fair enough until you do a actually concede. You then need to change it. Playing two out and out wingers is killing us especially when one, Knockhaert is woefully short of confidence. Took the wrong player off at half time. All this idiots sticking their fingers in their ears, shutting their eyes and singing ding a ling and repeating a mantra a that everything will be ok are pathetic. We fought hard to be here but we are giving it up with a whimper.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
This is a quote from Chris Hughton, not from today but after the Huddersfield match on 9th December.

"What you don't want to do is concede from a corner. That changes things. That's a real disappointment and, at this moment, a problem.
"It's about people doing their jobs, people working as hard as they can on the training pitch. Setting yourself up right. We will never not be prepared - every club is.
"That's why some go from marking man-to-man to zonal, because they go through a bad period. But ultimately you've got to make sure you defend better."

Since Chris gave that quote we have conceded 8 goals in the league, 5 of those are from corners, 1 was from a free kick crossed into the box and only 2 came from open play.

In the entire history of Premier league football, teams concede a goal from a corner once every 10 games on average. We have conceded 11 in 23. That's 1 goal conceded from a corner every 2 games on average.

Embarrassing.

If Chris doesn't sort this out it will be the cause of our relegation.

Last edited:

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I am not one for sacking CH but I do feel questions should be asked of his back room staff with 2 more set piece goals conceded today Perhaps Dunk and Duffy are the weakness? What do we do on the training ground?

I agree our record of defence of set pieces is horrendous !

Nor am I for sacking CH but, of course, his backroom staff are his responsibility so something has to be seriously addressed !

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We've conceded the least amount of goals from 8th to 20th.

We have clearly been changing things, against Bournemouth we didn't have men on the posts for corners, today we did. Nothing CH can do if our player doesn't beat their player in the air, or make it too difficult to score. We go man for man at corners, Chris can only coach a certain amount tactically the players have to mark and win their battle. Both today's second and the Bournemouth goal from a corner we actually had a man marking the player who scored – they just didn't do well enough. Chris cannot take the blame for that. The first today Propper has to do better at the near post as that was an excellent flick off a low driven corner, and we have to pick up.

Evans didn't have to beat anyone, he had a free header!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What utter garbage. Hughtons tactics have been the same alll season. No plan b. We set up not to concede which is fair enough until you do a actually concede. You then need to change it. Playing two out and out wingers is killing us especially when one, Knockhaert is woefully short of confidence. Took the wrong player off at half time. All this idiots sticking their fingers in their ears, shutting their eyes and singing ding a ling and repeating a mantra a that everything will be ok are pathetic. We fought hard to be here but we are giving it up with a whimper.

When has CH had the option of using what I suggested? Just have a think about it before you post such defeatist shit. Do you think he WANTS to play the tactics that are effectively forced on him by no pace in a striker?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here