Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Au contraire.I see the background of the poster making his post utterly meaningless,as bankers have time and again proven how they only do things in their self-interest,and the rest of us can go hang.An industry so useless and corrupt will only ever be trusted again when taken over by algorithms and AI.
So you don't like his industry, fair enough I guess. But how does that make his posts meaningless?

I mean, all he's done is talk about his industry moving away from the UK in response to Brexit - a hard-nosed business decision. Do you think other businesses feeling similarly threatened by Brexit will simply choose to stay here just in case they are not negatively impacted by Brexit? If they don't, what excuse will you make for ignoring their actions?

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Au contraire.I see the background of the poster making his post utterly meaningless,as bankers have time and again proven how they only do things in their self-interest,and the rest of us can go hang.An industry so useless and corrupt will only ever be trusted again when taken over by algorithms and AI.

You know absolutely nothing about the role that they play in the sector. They are simply describing a process that has already started and is likely to accelerate and that has an impact on the economy overall. An honest position would be to say that the impact of this sector re-locating would be a price to pay for ridding ourselves of it. Instead we have a typical leaver position which is ignore any facts or detail, divert attention away from the points being raised and question the motivation of the person making the point. The last thing you want is an informed debate as I think you know what the result would be.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So you don't like his industry, fair enough I guess. But how does that make his posts meaningless?

I mean, all he's done is talk about his industry moving away from the UK in response to Brexit - a hard-nosed business decision. Do you think other businesses feeling similarly threatened by Brexit will simply choose to stay here just in case they are not negatively impacted by Brexit? If they don't, what excuse will you make for ignoring their actions?

I was going to leave it, but as it's become a point for discussion, my 'background' is that I work in IT in an organisation. That Org happens to be a bank; I'm not some fat cat stock broker or commodity trader living in a penthouse London apartment. I live in Worthing, and commute to London each day. As you and others have pointed out, whether we like it or not, a large part of the UK economy, and a larger % of tax revenue is from financial services. London has been the European capital for all of this, but that will change once we leave the EU.

In 2016, financial and insurance services contributed £124.2 billion in gross value added (GVA) to the UK economy, 7.2% of the UK’s total GVA. London accounted for 51% of the total financial and insurance sector GVA in the UK in 2015. There are over one million jobs in the financial and insurance sector (3.1% of all UK jobs). The UK had a surplus of over £60 billion on trade in the financial and insurance sectors in 2016. In 2015-16, the banking sector alone contributed £24.4 billion to UK tax receipts in corporation tax, income tax, national insurance and through the bank levy.

From: http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN06193

I suppose I probably should have anticipated it. If you can't defeat the argument, attack the person delivering it.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Final proof, as if needed, he is an idiot. I truly believe a second vote would deliver a remain win. Which, although I voted remain, is why there should not be one. If there was, and and remain won it, the leave camp would go into meltdown demanding a "best of three", and in fairness,would be quite justified in doing so.

I voted remain, and am gutted leave won, but that's democracy. Leave won, so lets just get on with it and get the best deal we possibly can.

What a refreshing change for this thread .. a Remainer who respects democracy. :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I see the bullshitter is back. Was he banned? Or out drinking with schoolboy future football stars in pubs that don’t yet exist :lolol:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
No evidence of a Brexit exodus from City, says recruiter Pagegroup

Paris and Frankfurt are showing no signs of attracting jobs from London, according to the boss of one of the world’s largest recruitment companies.

Steve Ingham, chief executive of Page Group, said that the recruiter had seen “no evidence” of City workers relocating to the continent as a result of Brexit.

Page is one of the biggest recruiters in the professional services market and is one of Europe’s largest recruitment businesses, putting it an ideal position to monitor cross-border moves of workers.

“We’ve not seen any evidence lately of that happening [UK financial services jobs moving] in Paris and it’s the same in Frankfurt . . . if it happens at all,” Mr Ingham said.

“In Paris, we are by far and away the market leader and have about 500 recruiters there. I don’t think a bank could move thousands of staff without us hearing about it. Even if they didn’t announce it, we speak to so many candidates we would be sure to hear if it was happening,” he said.

The recruitment chief also said he was uncertain that, even if a bank wanted to set up a big operation in a City such as Frankfurt, it would be able to do so. “The biggest issue is the supply and demand of the staff you need. I don’t think there’d be enough candidates to do it . . . It’s not the easiest place to import skills given the need for German speakers,” Mr Ingham said.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/no-evidence-of-a-brexit-exodus-from-city-says-recruiter-rb65l0xj8

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No evidence of a Brexit exodus from City, says recruiter Pagegroup

Paris and Frankfurt are showing no signs of attracting jobs from London, according to the boss of one of the world’s largest recruitment companies.

Steve Ingham, chief executive of Page Group, said that the recruiter had seen “no evidence” of City workers relocating to the continent as a result of Brexit.

Page is one of the biggest recruiters in the professional services market and is one of Europe’s largest recruitment businesses, putting it an ideal position to monitor cross-border moves of workers.

“We’ve not seen any evidence lately of that happening [UK financial services jobs moving] in Paris and it’s the same in Frankfurt . . . if it happens at all,” Mr Ingham said.

“In Paris, we are by far and away the market leader and have about 500 recruiters there. I don’t think a bank could move thousands of staff without us hearing about it. Even if they didn’t announce it, we speak to so many candidates we would be sure to hear if it was happening,” he said.

The recruitment chief also said he was uncertain that, even if a bank wanted to set up a big operation in a City such as Frankfurt, it would be able to do so. “The biggest issue is the supply and demand of the staff you need. I don’t think there’d be enough candidates to do it . . . It’s not the easiest place to import skills given the need for German speakers,” Mr Ingham said.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/no-evidence-of-a-brexit-exodus-from-city-says-recruiter-rb65l0xj8

Do we have to tattoo "BREXIT HASNT HAPPENED YET" on the back of your hands, fella? :thumbsup:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Final proof, as if needed, he is an idiot. I truly believe a second vote would deliver a remain win. Which, although I voted remain, is why there should not be one. If there was, and and remain won it, the leave camp would go into meltdown demanding a "best of three", and in fairness,would be quite justified in doing so.

I voted remain, and am gutted leave won, but that's democracy. Leave won, so lets just get on with it and get the best deal we possibly can.

I agree with that but it was such an important decision and there was so much lying to attract a vote and so little facts involved that I see no problem with a 2nd vote after all negotiations are finalised, just like the Irish had another go at it, and, as I have said before, 15 year olds upwards should also have the vote. Both sides can then decide if the conclusion is what they actually voted for first time.
It's still democracy and we can't vote it back in again in 5 years.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yes I know the Remoaner rules .. anything negative happening since the referendum is because of Brexit anything positive is dismissed because Brexit hasn't happened yet :thumbsup:

FFS. The banks all have a Brexit project running which aims to make changes to the legal structure of the particular organisation to allow parts of the current UK business to be moved (function and headcount) to Europe. This IS happening, and will be completed prior to 'Brexit Day', but these things (like the Brexit process) take time, and are complex. It WILL happen is Brexit happens. You can ignore it all you want, but it WILL happen.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
FFS. The banks all have a Brexit project running which aims to make changes to the legal structure of the particular organisation to allow parts of the current UK business to be moved (function and headcount) to Europe. This IS happening, and will be completed prior to 'Brexit Day', but these things (like the Brexit process) take time, and are complex. It WILL happen is Brexit happens. You can ignore it all you want, but it WILL happen.

I'm not ignoring anything. Yes they have contingency plans and there will be some changes to accommodate our new relationship with the EU (yet to be agreed) but I doubt they will be as significant or detrimental to UK plc as some predict.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm not ignoring anything. Yes they have contingency plans and there will be some changes to accommodate our new relationship with the EU (yet to be agreed) but I doubt they will be as significant or detrimental to UK plc as some predict.

Even though they know the extent of their business they MUST move, you still doubt they'll do it?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Good to acknowledge this - but are you not just a teeny bit concerned? When (not if, I'm afraid) they go they'll take a fair bit of tax take with them........................Maybe a price worth paying (for what?) but still a price.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003

Have a referendum now and the leave campaign will make it all about the principle of respecting the original vote with minimal references to the impact of Brexit itself except some vague references to May's delusional presentation of a 'have your cake and eat it' deal. Hold a referendum when we have a negotiated deal to present it becomes all about that deal and the future. If Farage sees any danger of democracy intruding on the leave process he has good reasons for wanting to get it out of the way as early as possible.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Have a referendum now and the leave campaign will make it all about the principle of respecting the original vote with minimal references to the impact of Brexit itself except some vague references to May's delusional presentation of a 'have your cake and eat it' deal. Hold a referendum when we have a negotiated deal to present it becomes all about that deal and the future. If Farage sees any danger of democracy intruding on the leave process he has good reasons for wanting to get it out of the way as early as possible.

That's a very very good point.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Even though they know the extent of their business they MUST move, you still doubt they'll do it?

How could they know how many staff/ operations to move until they know what the new relationship will be? As that top recruitment chap said he sees no sign of any significant movement and I also read the City of Londons Eu envoy is downplaying the disruption/number of potential lost jobs.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Good to acknowledge this - but are you not just a teeny bit concerned? When (not if, I'm afraid) they go they'll take a fair bit of tax take with them........................Maybe a price worth paying (for what?) but still a price.

We'll probably be alright ...

City firms on hiring spree as salaries look set to keep rising

City firms are set to embark on a hiring spree next year as the need to deal with new rules and technology trumps the ongoing political uncertainty over the Brexit process.

More than two-thirds of financial services firms plan to recruit staff over the next 12 months, with the majority planning to bring permanent staff on board, according to data from top City recruiter Hays.

High demand for staff has driven double-digit salary growth for new hires in the capital, as firms compete to attract the best candidates. The latest figures show salaries are likely to keep on rising next year as the war for talent hots up.

http://www.cityam.com/276748/city-firms-hiring-spree-salaries-look-set-keep-rising

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
in a call today was an interesting revelation that our legal guidance is that contracts and agreements will be valid after Brexit under EEA membership, which we are not leaving.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
How could they know how many staff/ operations to move until they know what the new relationship will be? As that top recruitment chap said he sees no sign of any significant movement and I also read the City of Londons Eu envoy is downplaying the disruption/number of potential lost jobs.

These projects are based around functions that MUST remain within the EU... things like Euroclear - all European settlement business must take place in Europe. There's no ambiguity here. If we leave the EU, irrespective of the Customs Union stuff, this business (and people), which is transacted by all the banks and other financial companies MUST move. There also a number of European regulatory bodies that are either fully or partially located in London, which once again MUST move to operate, under European Law.

I'm sure you don't believe this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here